Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need help with photo please?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by darealjolo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

Ive just found out my Grandad was in the army just by this photo, he is the tall 1 on the right.

His name is Harry Thomas Carr and on back of the photo it is dated 14/6/49 and Bottesford i think!!

It was a shock to get this photo from a new relative as we didnt know he was in the army but my mum did think he was a cook and someone else said they thought he was a dogsman but wasnt sure.

My Grandad was born 4th June 1929 and died March 4th 1999.

Can anyone tell anything about this picture please?

[​IMG]

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Im sorry, but where is the picture?

3. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

Its under my message!!!! cant you see it? i can.

4. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Im sorry but I dont see it.

6. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

I dont understand that then as ive gone to post image, copied the url into box that pops up at the top and then i can see it, can see it on 2 of my replies to this post.
    Can i send it to you so you can post it here? maybe ive done something wrong and only i can see it!!!

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

It very well may be that it is not you but me, as I am using a different computer at work today, and it has strong filters, which I can not get rid off.
    Lets see if anyone else can see it. ;)

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I can see the photo so it must be something on your side Slon.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I usually cannot see imbedded pics when I am at work and I can't see the above one. However, I can see attached pics. I'll have to wait until I get home to see it.

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Thanks guys!! I started thinking that it might be on my end when I couldnt get into certain media sites

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Because of the resilience of spyware, Corporate Information Techology folks have had to curtail access to img files which is why you may not see them. Being his Imperial I.T. highness for my company, I can view such items. ;)

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm am the Imperial IT Highness at mine, also. However, we get our web traffic delivered via a large governmental agency and they block certain IPs and URLs at the behest of the DoD upstream. (even though they say they don't).

13. tikilal

tikilal Ace

If your grandfather was in the Royal Army, you should be able to find his conscription papers from some governmental source. I know that there are websites that list all US draft records but I havent found any yet for England.

14. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Trouble is there doesn't appear to be a scrap of insignia on view.
    Looked up bottesford and it seems the airfield was the main military site there, appears to have been closed as an airbase in 1948 so maybe that could go with a logistics corps unit clearing the area up over the next year?
    I'll ask some far better than me at 'reading' these pictures to have a shufti.

(seems the answer to these is nearly always going through the process of applying for his service record, for which you generally have to be next/closest of kin)

Cheers,
    Adam.

15. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

I thought my post had been deleted then as its been moved to here.
    I didnt know my grandad was in the army untill today so thats why i thought id do a post to see if anyone can see from picture what reg etc..
    Ive also looked up Bottesford and seen that its closed down didnt know it was 1948 thought, the photo does have a date on back 14.6.1949 so he must of moved somewhere then, im not mich good with army details etc.. and searching im useless as dont know what im looking for, so thought i would ask.

Joanne

16. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

My mum will be next of kin so she should be able to get the details isnt it? but from where please?

17. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

This should help with addresses and current info on the bodies that deal with these things:
    Service records

Can't really offer genuine advice I'm afraid as I've a couple of relatives who's records I've been meaning to get for years now and still haven't sorted it out.

Good Luck,
    Adam.

18. darealjolo

darealjolo Member

Ok thankyou for the link, think its going to be hard though as they want as much details as possible, and i have nothing to go on.

19. sgtsaunders

sgtsaunders Member

Also if the date written on the back is 1949; it would have been after the war.