Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Military history magazines

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by FalkeEins, Sep 2, 2007.

1. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

OK simple question ..why aren't there any decent English language military history/ WWII magazines (he said to himself while browsing an ancient Purnell's ' History of WWII' ... and conveniently ignoring that such a mag does exist in the US ...) ..I mean 'Military Illustrated' anyone...?!! (I do enjoy the odd article) ..don't count ATB as it's a quarterly

I mean the French have a great selection from '39-45 Magazine' to 'Batailles et Blindes', Militaria XX from Kagero in Poland looks excellent ..but I can't read it..

thoughts anyone ...

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

A question that has often occurred to me.....as you say, France for some reason has a splendid selection to choose from ; I'm always a sucker for 'Armes et Militaria' and I bought copies of the 'Blindees...' one when I was over there recently.

And I can't read them.....:(;)

3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

I tried to get a major magazine publisher interested in such a magazine a couple of years ago. It came very close, but the big problem in the UK are the costs of setting up, printing, and getting it into WH Smiths. If it doesn't get in there, it dies basically.

There is the new 'Britain at War' magazine, which shows some promise and is certainly better than 'Military Illustrated' which I never buy now.

4. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

..remember the old Osprey "Elite" partwork ...? I'm sure there's a niche for a publication along those lines..

I guess the WH Smith thing is the big hurdle as you say..I believe it costs thousands to 'buy' shelf space....the answer must be to find a larger outfit to fund such a publication ...or

something like 'German War Machine' which is entirely net based as far as I can see and has done two issues, neither of which have appeared in Smiths..

perhaps net based, subscriber only is the way forward ..

.....wondering idly whether to start such a beast (not just like that obviously...but doing some research..)

..on second thoughts having just read this ..perhaps not !

Starting a Magazine | Ask MetaFilter

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Good point! It's an overlooked niche.
    I also wish they would do an English-language version of Moyen Age magazine too.