Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

the Halyard Mission

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Zwingli, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Zwingli

Zwingli Member

I am looking for information on the Halyard Mission from both the American side and the Serbian side.

Can anyone help?

Thank you
    Leslie

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

3. Zwingli

Zwingli Member

Thanks Skipper
    I look forward to reading the article. One of my dad's very close friends was shot down and spent over two months with Mihailovich. He is being used as a consultant for a huge film that is now in the works to tell this apparently widely unknown story.

Kind regards

Leslie

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

5. Zwingli

Zwingli Member

Hello Skipper
    I'm not sure the information about the film is widely known. Apparently it will be made in 2008 and Robin Williams will play Mihalovich with a possible of George Clooney playing Tito.
    The friend of my father's who is working on this, knows about Felstead's book and says it contains many "untruths". He told me about "The Forgotten 500" along with 3 others that are very good by David Martin. Ally Betrayed, General Mihalovich,Patriot or Traitor and Web of Misinformation. Another book, was Too Little To Late, but he couldn't remember the author.
    Norm, my dad's friend, is very excited about this as after the war, he has made it as he says"my lifelong mission to clear General Mihalovich's name."
    Norm flew Wellingtons with #40 Squadron, 205 group, flying out of Italy.
    It sounds like a very interesting story.

Regards,
    Leslie

6. wdacey

wdacey recruit

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We will be having the author of Forgotten 500 in the forum for discussion next weekend. Those who have signed up and agreed to read his book beforehand have been invited to talk with Mr Freeman. The transcript will be posted afterward.

I have read the book and found it to be an excellent read. Even if you are not participating in the discussion, I heartily recommend that you read the book if possible.

10. Zwingli

Zwingli Member

A little off the main topic being the rescue, does anyone know where I could find information about the following:

I believe most of the airmen rescued, were members of Squadrons belonging to 8 Group stationed in Italy. I am looking for data for the period of February 1944 to September 1944. Specifically,
    Number of allied aircraft lost
    Number of airmen killed
    Number of airmen wounded
    Number of airmen taken POW
    Number who found sanctuary and ultimately escape through contact with the guerillas, and Mihailovich.

During this time period these aircraft would have been taking part in raids to destroy the oil refineries/fields, key bridges, and mining the Danube River to destroy the barges carrying the oil in and around Ploesti Romania.

Any information or sources of information would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Leslie

11. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks, Fred. I took part in the discussion with Mr. Freeman on his role in writing The Forgotten 500. I must admit that the book was good, but I'm still confused on Yugoslavian politics.

13. vathra

vathra Member

It is especially confusing, because with time it only gets more confusing.

Rescue of allied airman was done both by royalist chetniks and communist partizans. Since at the time (mid 1944), partisans held more territory they rescued more airmen. Entire rescue was not well known during communist era, because it is not one of the larger episodes of liberation war. At the time, much larger and important events took place.

Since nowadays chetnik movement is getting sort of rehabilitation in Serbia, this event became well known, since it is largest operation chetniks made with allies during 1944. British cut their connections with chetniks at the end of 1943. and channeled all their support to Tito's partisans. Americans had their mission until end of Halyard mission.