10 replies to this topic

#1 Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:05 PM

Does anyone know just how much US involvment in WW2 cost? (in dollars)

Any info on Britains expenditures during the war would help too.

Thanks,

CvM

[sigpic][/sigpic]

[FONT="]With broken heart and bowed in sadness, but not in shame, I report to your Excellency that today I must arrange terms for the surrender of the fortified islands of Manila Bay… With profound regret and the continued pride in my gallant troops I go to meet the Japanese commander. Good-Bye, Mr. President.[/FONT] - Gen. Wainwright, May 5, 1942

#2 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:14 AM

Yep, I have a breakdown in one of the books somewhere, give me a day or 2 and I'll get back.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#3 Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

nice, thanks much man

[sigpic][/sigpic]

[FONT="]With broken heart and bowed in sadness, but not in shame, I report to your Excellency that today I must arrange terms for the surrender of the fortified islands of Manila Bay… With profound regret and the continued pride in my gallant troops I go to meet the Japanese commander. Good-Bye, Mr. President.[/FONT] - Gen. Wainwright, May 5, 1942

#4 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:27 PM

Patrick,

I've made some research and I only have been able to find the whole general budget of the US government prior to WWII and after WWII, but no precise cyphers on the military expenses… :confused:

But, if this is helpful, here is what Germany spent (cyphers are in billion Reichsmarks):

Military   Civil
1939-1940   38.0   20.0 
1940-1941   55.9   24.1 
1941-1942   73.3   28.2 
1942-1943   86.2   37.8 
1943-1944   99.4   30.6
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#5 Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:52 PM

Thanks Fried, that helps immensly, no all i need is the american cost.

Cvm

[sigpic][/sigpic]

#6 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

By the way, the exchange rate was approximately as follows:

1930-1935 1 USD = 2,5 RM
1935-1941 1 USD = 4,2 RM

And, according to inflation rates:

1 USD (1941) = 12,5 USD (2003)
1 GBP (1930) = 50,0 GBP (2000)
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#7 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:52 AM

Carl I havent forgotten just trying to find the book amongst all my boxes, it may not be an accurate figure as the book is from the 70's Land warfare or something like that from Salamander. It gives its own breakdown of casualties and monetary cost of both world wars. I'll make an effort to find it today.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#8 chromeboomerang

chromeboomerang

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:53 AM

Speaking of such, Great Britain burned up a ton of resources in the war & did not come out of it in the same way the US did. This must have been tough on the British people. Also the fact of German & Japanese industry being rebuilt by US might not have gone over too well in GB.

#9 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:55 PM

Source:American War Library. Costs in "millions" each country. U.S.A. $288,000 ;France $111,272 ;UK unknown. Sorry. Also, of the $13 billion given out after the war[Marshall Plan] the UK received the most of any country. Amount received in millions: UK-3,189 France-2,713 West Germany-1,390.
Posted Image

#10 Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:28 PM

Thank you all for your efforts in finding my answer to this question

its greatly appreciated

CvM

[sigpic][/sigpic]

#11 chromeboomerang

chromeboomerang

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:17 PM

France got more than Germany. interesting. I thought the game plan was to build a strong economy surrounding both sides of Soviet union. I suppose it was, but nice to know UK & France were not forgotten. As a side note, I had a French room mate & met many French people through him & they had no dislike of Americans. This was 10 yrs back before Iraq.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users