Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

37th Infantry Division, 129th Infantry 1943-1945

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Polishmafia, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Polishmafia

Polishmafia Member

Looking for anything I can to make a timeline of where my father-in-law was during this time period. He recieved a Bronze Star but we know nothing about it. He's name is John J Lott Jr and his highest rank was a SSgt. We know he was in the South Pacific by June of 1943 and shipped out of San Fransico. I've already submitted for a DD-214 but am afaid I'll get the 'fire excuse'. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Basic Regimental Info

129th Infantry Regiment (IR), Illinois National Guard, inducted into federal service at Sycamore, Ill 5 Mar 1941 and assigned to the 33rd Division's 65th Infantry Brigade. Trained various posts US and departed San Francisco P/E 24 Aug 1942, less 1st Batt detached to furnish cadre for another infantry regiment. Arrived Fiji Islands 20 Sep 1942 where raised new 1st Batt. Departed Fiji 11 Mar 43, arrived Espiritu Islands 13 Mar 43, relieved from 33rd Division and placed under IV Island Command as part of 37th Infantry Division (ID), where it served as Espiritu Santo Garrison on 31 Jul 43. Arrived Guadalcanal 4 Nov 43 and departed 11 Nov 43, arriving on Bougainville 13 Nov 43 and leaving 13 Dec 44.

It landed Liugayen Gulf, Luzon 9 Jan 45. It was attached to XIV Corps 21-24 Jan 45, then attached 40th Infantry Divisioin 1-2 Feb 45 and 33rd ID 27 Mar -10 Apr 45.

Arrived Los Angeles P/E 12 Dec 45 and inactivated at Camp Anza 13 Dec 45.

Brief combat narrative

Defended Piva Airfield, Bougainville from heavy attacks 8 Mar 44, which were the main Japanese attacks and penetrated the 129th's lines before the attack was defeated. This was the last Japanese offensive action in the Solomons. Spent remainder of time on Bougainville conducting construction and combat activities until 11 Oct 44, when it began training for operation in the Philipines.

Encountered slight resistance landing at Lingayen Gulf. 129th IR was divisional reserve in drive to San Carlos and further on to Clark Field and Fort Stotsenburg. Division moved on toward Manila with 148th IR of the 37th ID reaching it 4 Feb 45. While 145th IR stormed Quezon and Parian Gates, 129th IR crossed Pasig River in assault boats and stormed the Mint Building. Fighting continued until 3 Mar 45, and Division garrisoned Manila until 26 Mar 45, conducting mopping up activity.

129th IR attached to 33rd ID from 37th ID and pushed up Highway 9 toward Baguio, encountering very heavy fighting in the Salat Area 23 Mar-10 Apr 44. 129th IR detached 33rd ID and joined 148th IR attacking up Highway 9, taking Three Peaks 11 Apr 45. Mount Mirador fell to the 129th after heavy fighting 17 Apr 45 and Baguio fell under combinde assault of 33rd and 37th IDs. 37th ID relieved by 33rd ID and moved to San Jose 4 May 45 and rested until 29 May 45.

Moved to Balete Pass-Santa Fe area 31 May 45 and pushed acrosss Cagayen Valley and took Cauayan 16 Jun 45. Continued to conduct mopping up duties and secure area until end of war.

Commanding Officer 37th ID Robert S. Beightler, Maj Gen
    Divisional losses KIA 1094, WIA 4861 Died of Wounds 250.

---Order of Battle, U.S. Army World War II, Shelby Stanton, pub 1984, Presidio Press

37th ID patch [​IMG]

3. Polishmafia

Polishmafia Member

Wow! I never thought I'd get some much info in one reply. Thank you so much. Hopefully somebody that is out there from NW Missouri and was at Camp Wolter, Mineral Wells, TX will have some info too. I feel like I have a 1000 peice puzzle and only have 8 peices to it! But I do keep gathering up pieces on at a time. Thanks again for the information.

Knettie likes this.
  4. Slipdigit

I'm looking back over my post and there were some spelling and grammatical errors. I was typing it right before bed and pulling info out on the 129th from an article that also was discussing the two other regiments of the 37th, so sometimes my wording may not make full sense. Let me know if you need clafification.

The Philipines and Bougainville campaigns are not the best recorded aspects of the war and much of what went on there has been over-looked and overshadowed by the European campaigns and the Island campaigns to the north. Just ask the Aussies.

You may trouble finding good information on the actions there, but give it a try. If I find anything else, I'll post it here.

5. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Dear friends Polishmafia and Slipdigit:
    Because the English isn't my maternal language, I am not apprecciated if this links offers by this machine are interesting. I am supossed that yes but visit this pages all you judge that question:
    http://www.dtic.mil/dodsrch/search?...y+Division,+129th+Infantry+&submit=Search+All

6. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Dear friends Polishmafia and Slipdigit:
    Because the English isn't my maternal language, I am not apprecciated if this links offers by this machine are interesting. I am supossed that yes but visit this pages all you judge that question:
    Defense Technical Information Center: Search

7. Slipdigit

Thanks Jan.

I would never be critical of someone who is trying to help. Thanks for your interest.

8. Polishmafia

Polishmafia Member

I want to thank both of you. You have given me so much more to research. Hopefully will help me find some kind of hard copy records.
    Patricia

9. Jan7

Jan7 Member

You are welcome, Patricia!
    and........
    [​IMG]

10. JackSwinden

JackSwinden recruit

I realize this thread is a year old, but thought I would post to it anyway. My Dad, Ceburn Jay Swinden serverd in Company A of the 129th IR within the 37th ID, and he too trained at Camp Wolter in Mineral Wells, Tx. He was from Austin, TX. In the early 1980's his Company A had their first reunion in Missouri, I cannot remember the city. Before Dad died in 1988, he was able to attend a few of their reunions. Unfortunately, I can add nothing else as Dad rarely discussed the war, and when he did it was in general terms. I too got the fire explanation from the military when I tried to get his service records. Whatever records he personally had, along with any medals and memorabilia were lost in a flood in 1981. Since he rarely talked about the war, most of his history in it is now lost. I don't even know which medals he earned as he never displayed them. And most of his brothers in arms have are now gone too.

11. Slipdigit

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father and of his mementos. Thanks for sharing about him to us.

12. Aggie'74

Aggie'74 recruit

The hotel you are referring to is the Radisson Hotel in Branson, Missouri.
    Their address is:120 South Wildwood Drive, Branson Missouri 65616. I had
    the privalage of attending a convention there in 2007 and was amazed to find
    the numer of WW II units and organizations that hold their annual reunions
    there. You walk the hall on the convention hall level and it is lined with pictures
    (old and new)
    of people who served in WWII. I spent an hour looking at these photos and never came close to seeing them all. My dad was a glider pilot in the war ( who survuved and went on to fight in Korea and later in Viet Nam. LIke you father, he rarely spoke about what he did during the war. About 10 years ago, the frame of his glider from Operation "Market Garden" was discovered on a farm in Belgium. It had been used all these years as a chiken coop. (It was identified by the serial # on the frame, almost everything else had rotted away). The frame was taken by a group that restores old WWII aircraft and restored Its now an display in their wharehouse in Belgium

13. James Cox

James Cox Member

Sorry you lost your dad's stuff from the war. My dad was also in the 129th. Luckily I have a tremendous amout of his memoirs. I have put scans of his stuff on a web site it you would like to view mine. It might bring back some memories.

129thinfantrypage.com

Dad did not attend any reunions. I wonder if they allow family members at the reunions. I would love to attend one.

Jim

14. Colonel.spiritspriest

Colonel.spiritspriest Member

wow
    what a great honor to have such informations on that !
    im a normal reader like to read history,politics,wars and etc
    but these real stories have made my arms hairs standup with joy,courage and fearless emotions
    i salute to all the solders and their kids

15. lairdwilcox

lairdwilcox recruit

My father, Laird Wilcox, Jr., Company I, 129th Infantry Regiment, arrived in the Philippines in March 1945. He was wounded at Bayombong in the Cagayan Valley on 7 June 1945. I haven't been able to find as much stuff as I had hoped. Anyone knowing anything about that location and time period would be very helpful if they would contact me. Laird M. Wilcox: lwilcox3@aol.com

16. VET76

VET76 Member

Sorry, I know this thread is really old, and you may have tried this, but I just wanted to add something that you may want to try. My Grandfathers discharge paperwork was filed with the County recorders office in his hometown in Wisconsin. You may want to try a courthouse near the location your Dad was living in upon discharge. It may work. Just a suggestion, try the County Recorders office I know when I was discharged they stressed doing this, and some (including my grandpa) did.

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I have a regimental history book for the 129th Infantry Regiment which covers the WWII period. It has a complete roster of those who were in the 129th during the War. I would be happy to help out anyone who is trying to research their relative's service. I also have the division history for the 37th, but it does not provide personal info except for KIAs and MIAs.

rkline56 likes this.
  18. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Well, as a matter of fact there are one or two guys from Bougainville. See PM. Thanks-
    And you came through big time Tom!

19. retiredohcop

retiredohcop recruit

I would like for you to look up my father's name and see if he was in the 129th. Dad was in the 37th Inf Div and said even though he was from Ohio, he was in an Illinois unit, so I'm thinking the 129th. He was a transfer from the 104th Inf Div. I'm not sure when he transferred to the 37th. HIs name is Lt. Lewis H. Butler. He was an anti-tank unit commander. Dad was wounded in the Battle of Manila. My mother has misplaced the Valentines card he had received from his mother just before he was wounded. His unit information would be on the envelope. This reply should be for TD-Tommy776

20. retiredohcop

retiredohcop recruit

I would like for you to look up my father's name in the 129th. Lt. Lewis H. Butler. He was a transfer from the 104th Inf Div. after he completed OCS. Dad was with the 37th awhile before going to Manila. He was wounded in the Battle of Manila. Dad said even though he was from Ohio, he was in an Illinois unit, so I'm thinking the 129th. My mother has misplaced the pocket which contained all his personal affects that the medics cut off his BDU's. In it was a Valentines card he had received from his mother just before he was wounded. The envelope would have his unit information on it.