42 replies to this topic

#1 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

ok experten, this chap is army correct ? can we tell by his collar tabs possibly the date and with his shoulder boards his rank ? wonder if the kid made it through the war. No doubt about the 2 tank kills the kiddo was a brave soul

Posted Image

#2 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well, I would say that he is a Gefreiter since the shoulder boards are not unteroffizier boards and I can see a chervron on his left arm. As for date, I would say 43'ish. Nice photo.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

single or dual chevron or can you tell PzJgr ? is the collar dark green or ? mountain unit or Heer, Jäger or ? just not up on the Heer like I should be.

#4 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hard to tell but looks like a single striped chevron. As for the collar, I would call it dark green. The color for mountain troops was light green which this looks too bright to be light green. But it does look white to me which would make him infantry. The only other color that would be this bright is yellow which I believe is signals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Moderators, please delete this posting. Reason being is that I was having some trouble posting and I posted it again below.

Thank you--C.
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#6 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Carl do you think the collar is dark green or, and this would indicate what ?

Panzer-vernichten strips March 1942 and yes the scalloped pockets were even worn into 1944

#7 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

I'd say that this tunic is definately pre 1943. Reason being is that it has scalloped pockets and that is a quality one will not see on a later war tunic. Also notice the high quality of breast adler and collartabs. Those collartabs look to me like they have the dark stiffened backing that was on early war collartabs. His collar also looks like it is bottleneck green which is another indication that this is an earlier war tunic. This tunic could also be a tailor-made tunic or could be a "parts" tunic. I would not be surprised that this tunic was one made circa 1939.

As for the Tank Destruction Strips, I can't remember the dates these were instituted but, i'd have to guess that this photo was taken sometime in 1944.

Anyway, his tunic has the same qualities of my Artillery Major's tunic - meaning the Bottleneck Green collar, the stiffened collartabs and the scalloped pockets.

Anyway, that's just my one humble opinion on this tunic and I base any knowledge I have on tunics with my own example and those that I have seen that friends of mine have in their own collections.

PS, to me, his shoulderboards have a late war look to them.
Posted Image

#8 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

The tank destruct badge was instituted in March of 1942.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Carl do you think the collar is dark green or, and this would indicate what ?

Panzer-vernichten strips March 1942 and yes the scalloped pockets were even worn into 1944

Hi E, yup on the collar. As for tunics being made with scalloped pockets was a practice that was dropped by mid-war in order to save material. Im sure there were plents of guys wearing stunics with scalloped pockets at wars end as well.

Thanks for the institution dates for the TDS.

PS, I need a Moderator to please remove my first posting about this tunic. I thought it somehow did not get posted so I made another posting.
Posted Image

#10 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

March 9, 1942 sadly a black/white pic but doubt because of his rank he is wearing two Gold strips with a low ranking. the presentation of the silver award stripwas also retroactive for engagements back in 1941 on the Ost front.

getting interesting

#11 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

will post this to see if even comes out. W. Kühn with his 4 destruction strips for 4 T-34's destroyed and more later with a Stug III. A friend of a friend who served with him.

Posted Image

#12 T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner

Genuine Chief

• Members
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:49 AM

Well, I would say that he is a Gefreiter since the shoulder boards are not unteroffizier boards and I can see a chervron on his left arm. As for date, I would say 43'ish. Nice photo.

I'd agree on the Gefreiter part. Look closely at the left sleeve. There appears to be chevrons there; you can just make them out.
The tunic with dark green collar is very typical of those in use and issued through about 1941. As the war progressed the dark green collar was dropped first for other ranks then eventually for most lower rank NCOs and by late war retained only for Feldwebels and officers. I'd say it is the M36 tunic. This has the dark green collar, pleated pockets with gilt buttons and darts in the middle of the flap.
He wears the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class (probably awarded with the tank destruction badges). The tank destruction badge was authorized 9 March 1942 and could be issued for events back to 22 June 1941. It came in silver (as shown) for one vehicle and gold for 5 vehicles destroyed.

#13 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

let me tie on another one this time RK winner Hans B. note his uniform compared to the young chap in the very first pic, any similarities do you think ?

anyone !

Posted Image

#14 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Looks like the same style of tunic to me. Also, love the nice image of his CCC in bronze.
Posted Image

#15 Stefan

Stefan

Cavalry Rupert

• Members
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

I thought the green collar indicated a 1936 onward tunic? (M36 as collectors call them over here)
There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

#16 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

obviously he is a well decorated soldier from a Gebirge-rgt. I am still trying to confirm really who he is............oh Carl ?

yes note the same dark green (?) collar for both chaps, has to beyond 1943 in my mind

#17 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

This photo also confirms the first as being infantry due to the darker color of the piping. Excellent photo
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I know a big fat 0 about piping in this case so are you talking the shoulderstraps here ?

#19 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

Yes. White is for infantry and light green is for mountain troops.
  • Erich likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

got it, too bad the RK winner does not have a number on the shoulder strap but do not think the mtn regt.'s had these

#21 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

the RK recipient is Gefreiter Hans Baindner who received his RK on June 24, 1944. He destroyed 2 T-34's with Panzerfausts on April 9, 1944 while a MG leader in 11./Jäger Regiment 228 in the 101st Jäger Division. He had just received the EK I on the 2nd of April 1944 ..............

#22 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Pretty busy month for him. As for the waffenfarbe, Personally, I think it was a great idea. You could tell what a soldier did, generally, just by eyeballing the piping on his uniform.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#23 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

I'm actually amazed at his uni for being so young in rank - a Gefreiter no less, not unheard of but still, like Carl said bronze close combat clasp, general assault badge, EK 1 and 2, RK, yeah I'd say he's seen some action and yes the shoulder piping helps as long as the black/white pics are clear, thought it was interesting that this is somewhat colorized

#24 Stefan

Stefan

Cavalry Rupert

• Members
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Sorry, think I have missed something somewhere, I thought the dark green collar indicated the age/pattern of the uniform rather than the arm of service (which was indicated by the piping on the shoulder boards and parts of the litzen?). As I understood it the 1936 pattern tunic had a bottle green collar, pleated pockets with scalloped flaps and so on. 1940 the collar became feldgrau and the pockets were changed, with patch pockets introduced in 43 and a BD style jacket introduced in 1944.

The piping on the first chaps uniform indicates a Panzergrenadier, the tunic and decorations being a little incongruous would suggest to me that he has done bloody well and obtained an older tunic (which is significantly smarter) for best to have his picture in, complete with decorations. I might even suggest that the uniform belonged to the photographer and his awards were attatched especially for the pic (I have heard of this happening elsewhere).

Re. their ages, well, both look about the same age as me, at 22 in 1944 you would have probably seen quite a lot of combat (I have a couple of corporals of the same age with a hell of a lot of experience, not quite the same thing but in this day and age quite impressive). Impressive stuff! Either way, fantastic pics.
There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

#25 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,076 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:40 AM

We were talking about the Piping on the sholder boards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users