Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Landser's rank ?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Erich, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ok experten, this chap is army correct ? can we tell by his collar tabs possibly the date and with his shoulder boards his rank ? wonder if the kid made it through the war. No doubt about the 2 tank kills the kiddo was a brave soul

[​IMG]

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Well, I would say that he is a Gefreiter since the shoulder boards are not unteroffizier boards and I can see a chervron on his left arm. As for date, I would say 43'ish. Nice photo.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

single or dual chevron or can you tell PzJgr ? is the collar dark green or ? mountain unit or Heer, Jäger or ? just not up on the Heer like I should be.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Hard to tell but looks like a single striped chevron. As for the collar, I would call it dark green. The color for mountain troops was light green which this looks too bright to be light green. But it does look white to me which would make him infantry. The only other color that would be this bright is yellow which I believe is signals.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Moderators, please delete this posting. Reason being is that I was having some trouble posting and I posted it again below.

Thank you--C.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl do you think the collar is dark green or, and this would indicate what ?

Panzer-vernichten strips March 1942 and yes the scalloped pockets were even worn into 1944

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'd say that this tunic is definately pre 1943. Reason being is that it has scalloped pockets and that is a quality one will not see on a later war tunic. Also notice the high quality of breast adler and collartabs. Those collartabs look to me like they have the dark stiffened backing that was on early war collartabs. His collar also looks like it is bottleneck green which is another indication that this is an earlier war tunic. This tunic could also be a tailor-made tunic or could be a "parts" tunic. I would not be surprised that this tunic was one made circa 1939.

As for the Tank Destruction Strips, I can't remember the dates these were instituted but, i'd have to guess that this photo was taken sometime in 1944.

Anyway, his tunic has the same qualities of my Artillery Major's tunic - meaning the Bottleneck Green collar, the stiffened collartabs and the scalloped pockets.

Anyway, that's just my one humble opinion on this tunic and I base any knowledge I have on tunics with my own example and those that I have seen that friends of mine have in their own collections.

PS, to me, his shoulderboards have a late war look to them.

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

The tank destruct badge was instituted in March of 1942.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, yup on the collar. As for tunics being made with scalloped pockets was a practice that was dropped by mid-war in order to save material. Im sure there were plents of guys wearing stunics with scalloped pockets at wars end as well.

Thanks for the institution dates for the TDS.

PS, I need a Moderator to please remove my first posting about this tunic. I thought it somehow did not get posted so I made another posting.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

March 9, 1942 sadly a black/white pic but doubt because of his rank he is wearing two Gold strips with a low ranking. the presentation of the silver award stripwas also retroactive for engagements back in 1941 on the Ost front.

getting interesting

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

will post this to see if even comes out. W. Kühn with his 4 destruction strips for 4 T-34's destroyed and more later with a Stug III. A friend of a friend who served with him.

[​IMG]

12. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I'd agree on the Gefreiter part. Look closely at the left sleeve. There appears to be chevrons there; you can just make them out.
    The tunic with dark green collar is very typical of those in use and issued through about 1941. As the war progressed the dark green collar was dropped first for other ranks then eventually for most lower rank NCOs and by late war retained only for Feldwebels and officers. I'd say it is the M36 tunic. This has the dark green collar, pleated pockets with gilt buttons and darts in the middle of the flap.
    He wears the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class (probably awarded with the tank destruction badges). The tank destruction badge was authorized 9 March 1942 and could be issued for events back to 22 June 1941. It came in silver (as shown) for one vehicle and gold for 5 vehicles destroyed.

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

let me tie on another one this time RK winner Hans B. note his uniform compared to the young chap in the very first pic, any similarities do you think ?

anyone !

[​IMG]

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Looks like the same style of tunic to me. Also, love the nice image of his CCC in bronze.

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I thought the green collar indicated a 1936 onward tunic? (M36 as collectors call them over here)

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

obviously he is a well decorated soldier from a Gebirge-rgt. I am still trying to confirm really who he is............oh Carl ?

yes note the same dark green (?) collar for both chaps, has to beyond 1943 in my mind

17. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

This photo also confirms the first as being infantry due to the darker color of the piping. Excellent photo

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I know a big fat 0 about piping in this case so are you talking the shoulderstraps here ?

19. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes. White is for infantry and light green is for mountain troops.

Erich likes this.
  20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

got it, too bad the RK winner does not have a number on the shoulder strap but do not think the mtn regt.'s had these