Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Estonia and property restitution laws

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Estonians hit by property restitution laws » Kuwait Times Website

Thousands of people in Estonia are facing the prospect of eviction from the homes they thought they owned, as a period of grace for turning property over to pre-World War II owners draws to a close. Over the past decade, some 100,000 of Estonia's 1.3 million residents have been hit by property restitution laws, among the most controversial reforms enacted since this Baltic state regained independence in 1991 as the Soviet Union fell apart. Most have already moved out, but 3,600 holdouts could soon
    be shown the door-in what critics say is replacing one injustice with another.

Read more on the site above...

PS. that was the only site on the subject in English I managed to find right now...

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Kaï if there is one in german I'd appreciate if you could post a link for me. Does this mean that the former German Aristocraty will also be allowed to return to Estonia?

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

It seems anyone who owned the house/rooms could come back, so the answer is yes. The other problem is that the property could have been sold after 1944 and they have to go away as well....

4. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Interesting article Kai , i own some property in Estonia but it was only recently built, although i have some land as well so that could possibly be a problem in the future , i'll have to check it out,

Paul

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The German minority in Estonia was very small ( less than 5%) but they were virtually the landlords so if any Germans returned this would be a precedent that could probably scare the Poles too.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Nazi Germany succeeded in getting the Baltic Germans to abandon their homes and homeland in haste, disposing of their belongings at cut-rate prices.

Some 13,700 Baltic Germans were resettled from Estonia by early 1940.
    Around 51,000 Baltic Germans were resettled from Latvia by early 1940.

Baltic Germans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice link Kai, I didn't know about these 1940 departures. However I believe several stayed up to 1945 and even 1946 until they were uprooted by force by the Soviets. Some managed to stay an addtional few months by inverting roles. Their Staff became landlords and they worked for them. I wonder whether Lithunia would adopt similar laws. If this is the whole Memel territory could raise claims.