#1 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • LocationSewanee, Tennessee, USA

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

For those of you out there who have had the honor of firing small arms from the WWII era, which one was your favorite to fire and why? If you have fired only one WWII weapon, don't be shy; post what it was and what it was like to shoot. I am open to all posts on any weapon from any nation.

:uboot:    :ac_p51b:

:_ww2f.com:  :cardsuit_club:   :hsu:  :cactus:

:PPmp40fire: :armyman6: :armyman5: :armyman:  :armyman1:  :armyman2:

#2 B-17engineer

B-17engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

YOu mean Pistols, I have held an M1 Garand, never fired it but that was easy to aim. Not terribly heavy
"I was born in '49, A cold war kid in McCarthy time
Stop 'em at the 38th Parallel,Blast those yellow reds to hell, And cold war kids were hard to kill
Under their desk in an air raid drill,Haven't they heard we won the war, What do they keep on fighting for?"

#3 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

Well I personally own a 1939 issue Mauser Kar98k, 1945 issue Mosin-Nagant M1944 Carbine and 1938 issue Mosin Nagant 91/30. I prefer the Kar98k for its accuracy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman.

#4 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

YOu mean Pistols, I have held an M1 Garand, never fired it but that was easy to aim. Not terribly heavy

I think he meant "small arms" as a whole. "Small Arms" are not limited to pistols. It can include rifles,carbines,submachine guns,shotguns and assault rifiles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman.

#5 Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

The Mp-40, not mine but still the most enjoyable wep I've ranged.

The Garrand, K98 and G24 as well as the colt 45:)
Coir a glaive

Nemo me impune lacessit

#6 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

In addition to what I listed I also own a 1918 Lee Enfield , 1917 Mauser Gewher 98 and a 1938 Turkish Mauser And my favorite,a M96 Broomhandle Mauser:).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 machine shop tom

machine shop tom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:20 AM

I own a semi-sporterized K98. Love shooting it, especially with surplus ammo.

I fired an M-1 Garand in a DCM shoot once. Absolutely the best shooting experience I ever had. Shot quite well with it, enough for the range regulars to wonder where the ringer came from.

tom

#8 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

hmmmmmmmmm this is actually almost a repeat of an older thread.

2 K-98K, G-33/40
P-38
Colt 45 superior to all pistols in every respect except it has a good kick in the butt feel.

7.65 ww1 Beholla superior to short range even to the P-38 in my estimation

I own all and fired all ....... now it is time to put them away for display

#9 B-17engineer

B-17engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

Alrighty I have fired a K-98k......accurate
"I was born in '49, A cold war kid in McCarthy time
Stop 'em at the 38th Parallel,Blast those yellow reds to hell, And cold war kids were hard to kill
Under their desk in an air raid drill,Haven't they heard we won the war, What do they keep on fighting for?"

#10 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

In one range session a couple of years ago I fired a Lee Enfield No.4, a K98k, an FG 42 and a MKb 42 (W).

The Lee Enfield was much better than the K98k simply because the peep rear sight made aiming very much easier than the leaf sight of the Mauser. Also, the .303 recoil was a bit less, the bolt faster and, of course, the magazine capacity twice as much.

The FG 42 kicked hard and the muzzle blast and flash were horrendous.

The MKb 42 (W) had a very gentle push rather than a kick and was the easiest to hold in the aim. Definitely my pick of the bunch unless the fighting was all going to be at very long range.
Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website

#11 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:18 PM

Dude nice the FG-42 is so rare nowadays.

#12 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,724 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

Can't add much here, I'm afraid...:o...but many years ago I had the pleasure of range-firing a P.08 'Luger'. Very pleasant and accurate to fire and the recoil could hardly be felt.

And I was just so conscious that I was handling a 'legend'.....:cool:
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#13 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Martin one of the reasons I have put the WW2 toys away firing WW2 ammo. jams/blockage, backfires and just plain unsafe, and yes the P-08 is a fine weapon for close range, I do enjoy the small size of the Sauer as well. the Browning Hi-power was wild, too bad I was not able to test out my Panzerschreck 54 with a live round......not that I would want to, but then again... ?

#14 Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

In one range session a couple of years ago I fired a Lee Enfield No.4, a K98k, an FG 42 and a MKb 42 (W).

The Lee Enfield was much better than the K98k simply because the peep rear sight made aiming very much easier than the leaf sight of the Mauser. Also, the .303 recoil was a bit less, the bolt faster and, of course, the magazine capacity twice as much.

The MKb 42 (W) had a very gentle push rather than a kick and was the easiest to hold in the aim. Definitely my pick of the bunch unless the fighting was all going to be at very long range.

I am truly impressed those weps on a range are a rare sight indeed, I am now officially jealous:D
Coir a glaive

Nemo me impune lacessit

#15 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:26 AM

Martin one of the reasons I have put the WW2 toys away firing WW2 ammo. jams/blockage, backfires and just plain unsafe, and yes the P-08 is a fine weapon for close range, I do enjoy the small size of the Sauer as well. the Browning Hi-power was wild, too bad I was not able to test out my Panzerschreck 54 with a live round......not that I would want to, but then again... ?

Where did you find a Panzerschreck? The ammo for that thing is extremely rare, not to mention the Panzerschreck itself.

#16 mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:52 AM

was the late col. charles askins correct when he said the 9mm killed more people in ww2 than all other small arms cartridge put together? or did he mean just pistol rounds?

#17 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:04 AM

was the late col. charles askins correct when he said the 9mm killed more people in ww2 than all other small arms cartridge put together? or did he mean just pistol rounds?

Probably pistol rounds.

#18 T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner

Genuine Chief

• Members
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:20 AM

I really doubt that. Machineguns were the primary small arms killer of the war and none used the 9mm round.

#19 mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:29 AM

yeah, i suspected that too. in fact, the statistical study by the army said less than 5% of all military casualties beginning from 1914 were from small arms. the bulk was from heavy weapons.

#20 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

I would probably say, if we were talking about machine guns, the caliber responsible for the most casualties was the 7.62mm American or Soviet or the German 7.92mm round.

#21 Klive

Klive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

My WWII weapons firing experience is v. limited: SMLE No 4 (helluva recoil after firing the SLR); .303" Bren (best-ever LMG). But my most memorable WWII weaps moment was - aged 13 - sitting behind a Vickers .303" MMG. Those brass spade-grips, safety taps & firing buttons in my hands - what a buzz. And Dad wouldn't let me fire it... When I watched the SF fire demo (on a floating target half-a-mile out to sea - I was surprised how slow the ROF was, and how thirsty the water-jacket. A 1gall can turned to steam in a few minutes.

Klive

#22 Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

SLR is an excellent weapon, even though it's not WWII. Far better than the M16 we had in Vietnam.

#23 mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

fired the sporter spingfield and the lee enfield. the first is a great hunter. but the second is for fighting.

#24 Raysrunt

Raysrunt

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I have two bullets and I wondered if anyone could help me know what they are? The small one has GFL M38 1943 on the bottom, the larger one has 18 P.C. CO on the bottom. The rifle shell I have has P132 1Va1 24 39 on the bottom. These were brought home by my dad who fought in France and Germany in 1944-45. Thanks.

#25 Sadprofessor65

Sadprofessor65

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

I guess in this thread I'm a touch spoiled back when I was with a renactment unit (as a medic) I got to shoot a large amount of weapons both blank adapted and not. So here a list for ya'll!

'03 springfield (sold mine and it was the worst move i ever made!)
Mauser Kar 98 WWI issue open topped site and straight bolt. LOVE IT!
M1A1 caribine, Can bit a bit hard to reajust ofter fireing do to the reduced weight of the wire stock but still a blast!
Asaki type 39, Old japanese rifle based off the mauser all I have to say is OUCH! Heavy and kicks like a mule.

Guns i have shot not belonging to me,
Lee Enfield No4 MkI, scoped and unscoped
Lee Enfield No5 MKI
Lee Enfield No4 MKII
The Indian Isapore 2A1 i beleive its called.
Gewer 43
MP44
STG44
FG42
Mosin Nagant 38
Mosin Nagant 1891-1930
Mosin Nagant 44
PPSH
Bren
Sten guns
Replica STV40
M1 Garand
M1 Caribine
BAR
M3 Grease gun (about as acurate and shooting blind folded hahaha)
Reising 50 probably a reproduction but i don't know 100%

Thompson US short and British long barrel both with front grip and drum clip as well as normal configuration.
.30 caliber machine gun (blank addaption)
.50 caliber machine gun (blank addaption)
MG38 and MG42 (blank again)
I don't know the exact designation of the next one but it was simply know as the No4 sniping rifle its an american Enfield not common to my knowledge.
Walter P38
M1911 Colt .45 (an original true COLT made on not hte new springfield junk)
.38 liberty revolver it was US issue but not to the troops normally I don't know full story of it.
Weberly Revolver
Lugers WWII and a WWI from I beleive 1917 or so.
and a solviet hand gun.

Don't remeber everything we shot but there were hundereds of different guns we brought out and shot every thing from obscure makes from different countries to "non existant" weapons such as the M1 Garand Tanker rifle. Oh and a bunch of italian weapons that I have no idea on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users