Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe Demolition Teams

Discussion in 'North Africa: Western Desert Campaigns 1940 to Ope' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Mar 26, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I remember reading at one time that there were in North Africa some Luftwaffe Demolition teams consisting of 30 or 60 Germans and Arabs that operated behing enemy lines to destroy things like bridges and such. Does anyone have any info or know where I could go to find some on them?

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The only teams I can think of are the BergungsKommandos. These units were usually composed with civilian workers and German Officers. They were not allowed to get the Strategic material on wreckages , which was taken by investigation units (Radios, guns, improvments etc..) but their job was to repair or recycle damaged aircrafts that could be reused. This was particulary needed in the DAK as spares were constantly missing. If this was not possible they would destroy the aircraft to prevent it from being captured. The BergungsKommandos became extremely active towards the end of the War in Europe, every piece of Aluminiun would be taken and recycled, this is why so many aircraft wreckages were dismantnled and not found afte rthe war. I don't know about their sabotage activities, they would burn aircrafts, so I figure they could destroy bridges too, but this part is speculation.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Im going to have to look and see what else I can find. Im wondering if they may have in fact been part of some Brandenberger type unit or the like.