5 replies to this topic

#1 darkdagger01

darkdagger01

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

i would like to know what was the largest british battle of ww2 was it el almein d day etc

#2 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:51 AM

How are you defining 'largest' ie greatest success, number of troops engaged, etc ? :confused:
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#3 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

Kohima-Imphal?

At least I've hear that was the largest British land campaign of the war… but maybe it's bollocks! :confused:
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#4 Mahross

Mahross

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

As Martin says, define largest. Also who are you including in this calculation, British troops alone, or are the members of the Empire and Commonwealth to be included? Also are we talking land battles only?

If it is just British, then Normandy is probably top of the list, followed by the Battle of France in 1940. Most of Britain other campaign included a sizable element of Empire and Commonwealth forces.

#5 Major Destruction

Major Destruction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:26 AM

If you include the Battle of the Atlantic as a 'battle' then it should be the largest in area and perhaps the longest in time. I have no idea how many British souls were involved in that 'battle' but the number must have been large and the resources deployed also comparatively large.
If dogs don't go to heaven, I'd like to go where they go.

#6 TA152

TA152

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:50 AM

If you count the Battle of the Atlantic then you have to include Bomber Commands Battle of Berlin. Thousands died in that battle too.
I need a bailout of only $500,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users