Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Albert Göring

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Kai-Petri, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

What a difference between brothers....

Albert Göring (1900 - 1966) was a German businessman, notable for helping Jews and dissidents survive in Germany during World War II. His older brother Hermann Göring held the rank of Reich Marshal of Nazi Germany and was a convicted war criminal.

Albert Göring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Albert Goering

Joe likes this.
  2. Ceraphix

Ceraphix Member

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Never knew that he had a brother. I don't think I read about him in the book "Herman Goring, Hitler's Paladin".

4. scarface

scarface Member

What an incredible revelation! I've never heard of him or his amazing story.

Thanks for posting that, Kai.

-whatever

-Lou

5. bigfun

bigfun Ace

That is very interesting! Never heard of this guy either!

6. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Most interesting thing I have learned all day.

7. Virginia

Virginia recruit

Got to read this! There is an incredible book out on Albert and Hermann Goring ... Thirty Four by William Hastings Burke. The author (a 26 year old Aussie) has spent the past four years tracking down Gestapo files, survivors and war records and has written a spell binding story of the brothers' lives. Wiliam is now trying to get Albert honoured alongside Oskar Schindler by the Yad Vashem. You can sign a petition at petition The long and short of it is that Albert used his brother (manipulated his ego) to get him to save all sorts of people (Jews and gentiles) right up until the Gestapo were hunting him down like a dog. Albert had four arrest warrants issued by the Gestapo during the war and he would have been hanging from a piano cord if Hermann hadn't stepped in and saved him. The account of the Nuremberg trials is gripping. I couldn't put it down!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kai-Petri likes this.
  8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Hermann Wilhelm Göring (b.1893) also had an older sibling from the union of Dr. Heinrich Ernst Göring and the Bavarian farmer’s daughter Franziska Tiefenbrunn, his second wife (I think); she was from a portion of Austria (Bavaria) where the "un-wed" birth rate ran at nearly 48% between the mid-1800's and the beginning of the 20th Century. It wasn't even seen as an "odd" thing, nor an outrageous occurrence. Especially among the "farmer's daughters". Apparently Hermann’s older sibling died in youth (I have never seen a name, male or female),

But if you look at the photos of both Hermann and his father and mother, only Albert (b. 1895) is different from the rest of the group, and it apparently made no difference to Hermann as he (reportedly) doted on his little brother. Albert was apparently a melancholy boy with brown eyes (contrary to his brother, mother and father’s blue), and looked uncannily like his Jewish godfather, Baron Hermann von Epenstein. Perhaps Albert was an "illegitimate son" of a Jewish godfather? Mayhaps that explains Albert's actions concerning Jews, and Hermann's love for his little bother explains his own?

It appears that the elder Göring was serving as lead commissioner in the new colony of German Southwest Africa (today’s Namibia) beginning in 1886 I don’t know when the wife followed his diplomatic trail to Africa, or even if she did, I would assume so. But it is possible perhaps she and Hermann von Epenstein met while Heinrich Göring was in Africa and she wasn’t, and she became lovers with Baron von Epenstein in Dr. Heinrich Göring’s absence. Dr. Göring retired from the diplomatic service in 1896, and returned from Haiti, the posting he had moved to after his time in Southwest Africa (Namibia).

I have never seen any data on when he was in or out of Germany, or if "Fanny" travelled with him, or just who was where when. But an interesting difference between two men from the same mother at least.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

He had two brothers, and both were quite different from Hermann. The one who had moved to the US was a Mormon, Karl Sr.. Werner G. Göring was born in 1924 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA. His parents were Karl and Atela Göring. He also had an older brother named Karl Göring Jr. born about 1913, I don't know what happened to that Karl Jr.. But, during World War II, Herman Göring's nephew, Capt. Werner G. Göring, piloted B-17s on 48 bombing missions against occupied Europe. He had been born and raised in Salt Lake City. Not unbelievably this young Göring spoke fluent German.

After an extensive background check, he was assigned to the 303rd Bombardment Group (Hell's Angels) of the 8th Air Force, based at Molesworth, England. This fact was kept secret by the USAAF during the time that young Göring flew missions against Nazi Germany.

However, the USAAF still assigned him a "uniquely qualified" co-pilot; one Jack P. Rencher, 1st Lieutenant. Rencher was given specific orders to shoot Werner if he ever tried to land in Germany. According to Rencher, however, the only time young Göring wasn't eager to rain destruction on Nazi Germany was when he had to bomb Cologne, where his grandmother still lived.

107thcav likes this.
  11. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Good stuff Clint. Never knew that about his nephew at all I figured he probably had some but never knew one was a pilot during the war. Life ran an article on Goring's family and they mentioned Karl but no Werner. Do you know if Rencher is still alive? Thanks pal, you given me something to want to learn more about.

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

family goring..hermann and albert....:D

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The third little boy must be Karl, I wonder which one is which?

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

as you look at pic,hermann on the left and albert the right, the 2 holding hands clint..

15. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]Von Epeinstein with the youngs children's Goering

Albert Goering was born in 1895. His father, Heinrich, was a German lawyer and government employee in the African colonies. Very quickly, it is noted that his true biologic father was his father-in-law and tuctor, baron Von Epeinstein with whom his mother Fanny takes part without doubt in a “ménage à trois”.

16. lwd

lwd Ace

Given the other thread and the lack of knowledge most of us have on him maybe this should be a sticky?