#1 Rsixxer

Rsixxer

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hello everybody,
This is my first post and it seems like you guys are all the experts when in comes to WWII. I will try to summarize my story so maybe I can get some help in the right direction:
Last year my grandfather passed away and after going through his things my father and I found a photo album. My father said he remembered the story which went something like this....grandpa was in communications for the Army in WWII and somehow ended up at the Eagles Nest hideout and broke into a drawer and looted a photo album. The pictures are of Hitler, Eva, friends, Eagles Nest, scenery, etc. On the back of some photographs there is very nice handwriting but I do not speak German so no translations, sorry. I have no idea what to do with this or who to contact. There are a total of almost 100 pictures and in excellent condition. I guess they have not been moved from the closet since he put them there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
:)
-Rsixxer

#2 WotNoChad?

WotNoChad?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

Were there any diaries with them?
  • Otto likes this

#3 Rsixxer

Rsixxer

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

No, just writing on the back of some photos. Roughly 3 sentences long on the ones with writing.

#4 krieg

krieg

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

your very lucky to have sutch things in your hands there will be someone here that will be more then happy to do the translation
i know a little german but not enuff to be of any real help
take very good ciar of thoes gems
and a big welcome to the forum.. any chance of seeing the photos
menny of us love old ww2 pics . best krieg
for thow . will be ours someday.we shall have it all
.:ww1ace:.. und mear...:snoopy:....

#5 Rsixxer

Rsixxer

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

I talked to my dad and he's going to get them out of storage for me tomorrow so pics should soon follow! Thanks for the welcome too, looks like a lot of real enthusiasts on here!:cool:

#6 Tomcat

Tomcat

The One From Down Under

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

I'm with krieg mate, look after them 'gems', and posting them would be great as well.
Could you post what they say on the back of the photo's for us, then someone here could translate it for you?
For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for the want of a shoe the horse was lost, for the want of a horse the rider was lost, for the want of a rider the battle was lost, For want of a battle the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Robert,

#7 Capt. Flashard

Capt. Flashard

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Were there any diaries with them?

:D lol, do I detect a hint of sceptism?:D

Scan and post a couple of pics, the forum can verify if they have been unseen previously, then contact the Sunday Times, they like anything to do with Hitler.

#8 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I speak German and shall be glad to help you. I hope they are not written in the old Sütterlin handwritting , that's harder for to decypher, but I'm getting better at that too.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#9 Rsixxer

Rsixxer

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:03 AM

Here's a few photos, sorry for the poor quality as I only had my cell phone with me...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Slipdigit likes this

#10 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

Very nice thanks for sharing
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#11 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

Wow Rsixxer. They look good to me.

Anymore you would like to post would greatly appreciated. As Skipper said, post the backside, we have several German speakers here who could possibly translate it.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#12 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,963 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

Nice pictures. With the text on the backside I could help more. On one of the pictures Hitler is having a review of some HitlerJugend kids. The fist picture makes me think of horse races.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#13 Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

Anyone here have a clue what a museum or private collector would pay for a collection of genuine photographs? Historians would go nuts over a collection such as this.

I would locate one or more legitimate experts who could confirm what this collection is. Start with the local university.
I forgot my password, can I use yours?

#14 krieg

krieg

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

i do thankyou for leting us see your great picks well done keep them coming
best krieg:D
for thow . will be ours someday.we shall have it all
.:ww1ace:.. und mear...:snoopy:....

#15 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,963 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

It all depends, many pictures were taken by almost anybody who had the possibility to get close to Hitler. Even private pictures are quite common. I saw one a month ago (see the caption contest)

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#16 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Any SPECIAL private collection might be worth a lot, but as I don´t know how many photo albums Hitler did have that is a tough question.

Here´s some idea from the net though:

The Adolf Hitler Collection

This is a fantastic group of 40 5 x 3 ½ photos.ORIGINAL, possibly never-published pictures of Hitler and various NSDAP dignitaries.$1,200 for the entire grouping of extremely rare historically important pictures.

-----------

If there´s signature by AH or his writing I think the prices are much higher and in that case the signature would be much more valuable than the photo itself, I think.
Posted Image

#17 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Welcome to the forum. A while back there was someone who had a photo album and Found out that the photos were more valuable sold seperately than as a group. It is worth to get quotes from mulitple reliable sources.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Wow, they really look great. I would love to see more, especially the writing on the back, I haven't read, written or spoke German in many many years! I'm sure Skipper will be able to help!
Thanks for sharing!!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#19 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,963 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

Like Kai says the whole collection may be worth a lot more. May I however suggest you keep this unique item in your family as long as you can. It would be a shame to get rid of it as it is quite unique.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#20 cd13

cd13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Wow, how did I miss this thread?:eek:

Any chance of getting some better scans of those photos? I hope you still have them in your possession. Any updates on this?

#21 mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:15 AM

dayum. my wife thinks AH was the sexiest man who ever lived. if fact there was a book about it exploring the hitler aura. much of it was due women's incurrable addiction to men in power. i better not show her this thread.

#22 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

dayum. my wife thinks AH was the sexiest man who ever lived. if fact there was a book about it exploring the hitler aura. much of it was due women's incurrable addiction to men in power. i better not show her this thread.

Ouch! Now don´t tell me she likes Berlusconi as well....

;)
Posted Image

#23 Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

AH sexy? Now that is something that I have never even considered.

#24 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Aquila non capit muscas

• Members
  • 8,809 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

She has a fetish for a guy with one ball only? Wow! :)

To the Colonel Bogey tune:

Hitler, he only had one ball,
Goering, he had two but very small,
Himmler had something simmler,
But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Frankfurt has only one beer hall,
Stuttgart, die München all on call,
Munich, vee lift our tunich,
To show vee 'Cherman' have no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hans Otto is very short, not tall,
And blotto, for drinking Singhai and Skol.
A 'Cherman', unlike Bruce Erwin,
Because Hans Otto has no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hitler has only got one ball,
The other is in the Albert Hall.
His mother, the dirty bugger,
Cut it off when he was small.
Whistle Chorus:

Colonel Bogey March - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Women and Hitler
Hitler and his sexuality

"A jerk afraid of women" - Marlene Dietrich

Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra...

#25 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

Nice thing to find Rsixxer.
It's a very tricky one though isn't it. As Skipper says, the man was heavily photographed; a friend of mine bought a Kriegsmariner's photo album containing a fair few shots of Adolf last year and it was 'only' c.£100.
It's all in the context though, if these are 'high status' and more personal shots from some intimate at the Berchtesgaden then their rarity/value may climb stratospherically. They do look very close to the man himself.
(Not 'postcards' I assume? All 'proper' photographs... they look like they are.)

I'd take Carl's advice and start at your local University history department, or military museum. Or perhaps more efficiently, if you could get some scans done for us, it's often surprising what people can find out, even the Handwriting may give somebody a clue.

Cheers, (and good luck)
Adam.
It's only the Internet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users