Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Found a rare Hitler photo album...need help

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Rsixxer, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Rsixxer

Rsixxer recruit

Hello everybody,
    This is my first post and it seems like you guys are all the experts when in comes to WWII. I will try to summarize my story so maybe I can get some help in the right direction:
    Last year my grandfather passed away and after going through his things my father and I found a photo album. My father said he remembered the story which went something like this....grandpa was in communications for the Army in WWII and somehow ended up at the Eagles Nest hideout and broke into a drawer and looted a photo album. The pictures are of Hitler, Eva, friends, Eagles Nest, scenery, etc. On the back of some photographs there is very nice handwriting but I do not speak German so no translations, sorry. I have no idea what to do with this or who to contact. There are a total of almost 100 pictures and in excellent condition. I guess they have not been moved from the closet since he put them there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    :)
    -Rsixxer

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Were there any diaries with them?

Otto likes this.
  3. Rsixxer

Rsixxer recruit

No, just writing on the back of some photos. Roughly 3 sentences long on the ones with writing.

4. krieg

krieg Ace

your very lucky to have sutch things in your hands there will be someone here that will be more then happy to do the translation
    i know a little german but not enuff to be of any real help
    take very good ciar of thoes gems
    and a big welcome to the forum.. any chance of seeing the photos
    menny of us love old ww2 pics . best krieg

5. Rsixxer

Rsixxer recruit

I talked to my dad and he's going to get them out of storage for me tomorrow so pics should soon follow! Thanks for the welcome too, looks like a lot of real enthusiasts on here!:cool:

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I'm with krieg mate, look after them 'gems', and posting them would be great as well.
    Could you post what they say on the back of the photo's for us, then someone here could translate it for you?

7. Capt. Flashard

Capt. Flashard recruit

:D lol, do I detect a hint of sceptism?:D

Scan and post a couple of pics, the forum can verify if they have been unseen previously, then contact the Sunday Times, they like anything to do with Hitler.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello and welcome to the forum. I speak German and shall be glad to help you. I hope they are not written in the old Sütterlin handwritting , that's harder for to decypher, but I'm getting better at that too.

9. Rsixxer

Rsixxer recruit

Here's a few photos, sorry for the poor quality as I only had my cell phone with me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Very nice thanks for sharing

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Wow Rsixxer. They look good to me.

Anymore you would like to post would greatly appreciated. As Skipper said, post the backside, we have several German speakers here who could possibly translate it.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice pictures. With the text on the backside I could help more. On one of the pictures Hitler is having a review of some HitlerJugend kids. The fist picture makes me think of horse races.

13. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

Anyone here have a clue what a museum or private collector would pay for a collection of genuine photographs? Historians would go nuts over a collection such as this.

I would locate one or more legitimate experts who could confirm what this collection is. Start with the local university.

14. krieg

krieg Ace

i do thankyou for leting us see your great picks well done keep them coming
    best krieg:D

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It all depends, many pictures were taken by almost anybody who had the possibility to get close to Hitler. Even private pictures are quite common. I saw one a month ago (see the caption contest)

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Any SPECIAL private collection might be worth a lot, but as I don´t know how many photo albums Hitler did have that is a tough question.

Here´s some idea from the net though:

The Adolf Hitler Collection

This is a fantastic group of 40 5 x 3 ½ photos.ORIGINAL, possibly never-published pictures of Hitler and various NSDAP dignitaries.$1,200 for the entire grouping of extremely rare historically important pictures.

-----------

If there´s signature by AH or his writing I think the prices are much higher and in that case the signature would be much more valuable than the photo itself, I think.

17. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Welcome to the forum. A while back there was someone who had a photo album and Found out that the photos were more valuable sold seperately than as a group. It is worth to get quotes from mulitple reliable sources.

18. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Wow, they really look great. I would love to see more, especially the writing on the back, I haven't read, written or spoke German in many many years! I'm sure Skipper will be able to help!
    Thanks for sharing!!

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Like Kai says the whole collection may be worth a lot more. May I however suggest you keep this unique item in your family as long as you can. It would be a shame to get rid of it as it is quite unique.

20. cd13

cd13 Member

Wow, how did I miss this thread?:eek:

Any chance of getting some better scans of those photos? I hope you still have them in your possession. Any updates on this?