Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

captain ian oswald liddell v.c.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by wtid45, May 6, 2008.

1. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Have found out as much as i can on this v.c.winner but still can't establish why he is named on two local memorials near where i come from. Coldstream guards v.c. won at action in germany at the bridge over the river elms near lingen 3rd april 1945. born shangahi, october 19 1919 died as a result of being shot by a sniper near rothenbergh april 21st 1945. he is remembered on a plaque in a church in mounton, south wales and also on a memorial seat in a church in shirenewton, south wales dont know if he lived in this area any help or ideas much appreciated.

2. Forrest Anderson

Forrest Anderson Member

His name also appears on a plaque in the Speech Room at Harrow School, Middlesex.

The following biographical details were taken from The Times of 8 Jun 1945:

------------
    Captain Liddell was born 25 years ago in Shanghai, where his father, Mr P W O Liddell of Chepstow, was in business. He was educated at St Andrew's, Eastbourne, and at Harrow. He joined the Shropshire Light Infantry as a Private when war broke out, later went to Sandhurst, and obtained a commission in the Guards. After being engaged on a special mission for 18 months he joined the 5th Battalion, Coldstream Guards. Last January he married Miss Patricia Patton-Bethune, a second officer in the WAAF, of Hampton Hill, Middlesex. Mrs Liddell now lives at Mounton House, Chepstow.
    ------------

The VC was presented to Captain Liddell's widow by The King at a special investiture for next of kin at Buckingham Palace on 12 Feb 1946.

Mounton House was owned by Mr P W O Liddell, and Captain Liddell had at least three sisters. The eldest, Margaret (Peggy), married a fellow Coldstream Guards officer, David Royden Rooper, in 1944.

Hope that helps a bit.

Forrest

3. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Thanks forrest:) that helps a lot i know where mounton house, is and although i knew the military history i had no idea of the chepstow, connection other than what i mentioned in my post mystery solved.