Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bronze Star ribbon question

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by lefty, May 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. lefty

lefty Member

A poor picture if I can even get it to show up......
    Got this from my brother. It's my dad's Asiatic-Pacific theatre ribbon with two bronze stars. I had thought he would have had a bronze star ribbon with oak leaf cluster to signify the second star. Apparently not. How does that work?
    Thanks,

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Correct there Jeff. The service star comes in bronze and silver.And the Bronze Star in subsequent awards would get bronze and silver oakleaves.In addition an Arrowhead device is awarded to those that participates in an amphibious assault, a combat parachute drop, or a combat glider attack.

4. lefty

lefty Member

So the bronze stars on the ribbon have nothing to do with the bronze star medal, but are service stars? What about the combat infantryman badge that made an infantryman eligible for a bronze star. Which type of bronze star is that?
    Thanks,

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In 1947, those who earned a CIB were elegible to also receive the Bronze Star for Valor. I do not know if that is still in effect.

Don't confuse a device with a medal. A medal is an individual award for valor or service. A device can be added to a medal to denote additional achievements or additional awards of that medal. There is a Bronze Star medal and some medals have devices that are stars made of bronze that are affixed to the medal or ribbon for other reasons.

Make sense?

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Correct. The little bronze and silver service stars are for wear on campaign ribbons. The bronze and silver oakleaves are for ribbons awarded for the Bronze,Silver Stars, ect denoting additional awards.

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

For example my father has a Bronze Star with 1 bronze oakleaf cluster for the second award,1 Army Commedation medal w/ 1 bronze oakleaf cluster for the second award and the Vietnam Sevice medal with 4 bronze campaign stars.

8. lefty

lefty Member

Got it. Thanks!