Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Scotland

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Bootie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Bootie

Bootie Member

Hi Folks

Ive just joined this forum and thought introducing myself would be a good start.

My names Shane... nickname is Bootie... call me whatever.

Im a WW2 enthusiast that spends a lot of time reading, watching and playing anything WW2 related.

I run Home Page club for Combat Mission players and also am the Combat Mission moderator at the Blitz wargaming club Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club.

I also run a blog Achtung Achtung! and sure would appreciate some of you guys joining up and taking part in the discussions.

Anyway thats all for now... look forward to speaking to you on the boards.

Bootie

2. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Welcome to the forums. I used to live in Spring Gardens in Aberdeen.

3. Bootie

Bootie Member

Thanks for the welcome. Were you a student over here as a lot of student accommodation is in or around the Spring Garden area.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome to the forum Bootie!

5. Bootie

Bootie Member

Thanks Skipper.. glad to be here.

6. krieg

krieg Ace

welcome aboard mate
    a fine place here you will enjoy your stay
    cheers krieg

7. Bootie

Bootie Member

Thanks Krieg, having fun so far... so much to read through... LOL

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Howdy Bootie.

9. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hi Bootie,
    Welcome to the forums. :cool:
    I'm in Stirling myself.

10. Liberator

Liberator Ace

Hi Bootie welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

11. Bootie

Bootie Member

Thanks Guys... hey Historian... I hope the weather in Stirling is better than aberdeen... start of the summer and its still fog and rain... LOL

12. Bootie

Bootie Member

Hey Historian, just had a look at your website. Very interesting. Ive done some work with the Aberdeen Archaeological Team, I have done an excavation at Torry Battery (Napoleonic) which housed the Home Guard and the City of Liverpool Battalion of the Royal Artillery during WW2.

ourpasthistory.com: Fortifications

Ive also done some diagrams of pillboxes for them. I believe it may have been the same project you worked on as we also mapped out what was left of the tank blocks long the coast of Aberdeen.

The last excavation I did was at St Nicholas Church in Aberdeen which was a long project and I spent a few months excavating skeletons and old church walls. Details of that dig can be found here..

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ACCI/web/site/LocalHistory/NC/loc_ArchiveDiary.asp

[​IMG]

This is me standing on a 14th Century mortar floor within the church. Im 6'2 so we had dug quite a bit by then!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small world eh??

Check out my blog... be great if you could sign up for buzzfuse and maybe join in the discussions. Its free and they dont spam you, in fact they only mail you when I release a new article... sure would appreciate it!!

http://thewarthatstillrages.blogspot.com/2008/03/ww2-battlefield-archaeology.html

GRW likes this.
  13. GRW

Bootie-
    A fellow archaeologist!! :cool: Ok so I'm not actually employed as one, I'm just an amateur (IFA Affiliate). Yeah, it was the DoB I was involved in, and the RCAHMS have just announced an initiative to rerun part of it in the Highlands and Islands. Bit too far this time.
    Saw the Torry Battery stuff and liked it, I've actually got some stuff in the 2oth century military structures section of ourpasthistory. How's Co, not seen her for a while? Good work on the kirk, be interested in any more pics you have.
    It's sunny down here, but blowing a highland gale. I'll have a look at the blog later.:) I'm also involved in www.online-archaeology.co.uk with Steve White btw.

14. Bootie

Bootie Member

:) Im not an employed one either. I studied the pre-history of Scotland with Edinburgh Uni but the courses these days cost so much and I dont think the Police (my employers) would foot the bill... not exactly job related. I do keep in touch with the Aberdeen Archaeology crowd but to be honest its going to be a very low key summer as the St Nicholas dig used up a lot of funding.

I posted a link to more articles about the Kirk dig in my previous post... you should have a look... some excellent pictures. IIRC we have burials dating back to the 11th/12th century.

As for Co I have no idea. Im a lurker on the forums there. :p

As for the RCAHMS I did see that... unfortunatley round my way its all Air Raid shelters, Loopholes, Pillboxes and AT Obstacles. Oh to live on the coast of France. I would love to do some work over there. If I ever visit I'll be sure to bring my trowel... :D

15. GRW

I sympathise; I have to head around 20 miles from here to find anything WW2. I was in the Pas de Calais three years ago. Heaven!
    http://bunkersite.com/

Bootie likes this.
  16. Bootie

Bootie Member

Nice site thanks for that.

17. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Yes I was a student at Aberdeen Uni.

18. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Welcome Bootie! You will enjoy your time here.

Please continue to post info on your archaeological work. I worked on an archaeological excavation of Boston Common (Boston, Massachusetts USA) that included excavation of the British encampment from the US War of Independence. Digging for history is so much more enjoyable than digging to remove a tree stump!

Cheers!!

19. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Welcome to the Forum, Bootie. Looks like you've already made some good connections. I hope you enjoy it here - there is a lot of information to read and digest.

20. Bootie

Bootie Member

Thanks for the welcome folks.