Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Amateur Wrestling

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by J.A. Costigan, Jun 22, 2008.

1. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Anyone here participate in it or have in the past in any form or level?

I switched from Public to Private school when I started High and my school was small with 180 kids. We got a decent team of 20 kids and participate in both JV &V levels and wrestling all private schools and occasionally Public schools as well.

I started Wrestling my Freshmen year in High school in terrible shape with no experience. I was almost instantly promoted to Varsity Heavyweight at about 240lbs after winning my first match in a Wrestle off against a Junior (who was lazy as shit and quit the team half way through), and ended the season with a Varsity record of 7-7, overall it was a good year of learning. Sophomore year I was around 245lbs in better shape and ended the season with a Varsity record of 18-8. Because I had a 2/3 winning record I advanced to the New England Wrestling tournament which winner's advance to the Nationals. At the New England's I lost both my matches and walked away proud of the fact I made it to the New England's as a Sophomore at a small school with my share fair of Varsity (private and public) wins.

For the up coming season (November 30th-March 1st.)I decided to bulk up to 255lbs ( healthily of course) and started regularly working out at a gym regularly (something I had never done before) this summer and plan to regularly for the next 5 months. I also joined JV Soccer in the fall just to build up my endurance while I work out simultaneously (which will also in the longrun have me in good shape for Lacrosse in the spring). As A Junior I'm now truly competitive, I now have 3 years of experience, will be in good shape when the season comes around as a 6'3 255lbs 3rd year Wrestler with my learning stages complete and for the next 2 years hope to become a force to be reckoned with in New England High school Wrestling. Any tips for working out or wrestling are appreciated.

Post your own records, stories, etc. if you have any.

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Holy cow, you must eat like one :D

3. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Indeed hehe.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A heavyweight wrestler eh? Good choice, no weight cutting or restricted diets. Cutting weight is the most unpleasant thing about competition in my opinion. I've never competed in wrestling competition, but I have trained a whole lot of it to boost my skill in other sports. I've also worked with a couple great NCAA Division 1 wrestlers (from Northwestern) who are focusing on competing in combat sports. My best advice, other than the obvious "train hard", is to never overlook fundamentals. You always want to improve your weaknesses, but don't stop working on your best moves, always keep improving your best areas. Most wrestlers that are successful aren't great at everything, they are dominant in two or three aspects of the game.

So work hard, keep eating a lot, and don't forget to focus on your strengths. And don't forget to keep us informed of your progress.

5. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Indeed, thank you and I shall.