JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:25 AM

WWII bunker found on golf course

Posted Image The bunker was found near the 5th green on the Old Course

A secret bunker used by army officers during World War II has been unearthed at one of Wales' top golf courses.
Workers renovating the course at the Marriot St Pierre Hotel and Country Club near Chepstow, Monmouthshire discovered the bunker.
It is thought it was used by an undercover army unit based in the area during the war years called Abraham Patrol.
It was found near the 5th green on the Old Course.
The golf resort has hosted events like the Solheim Cup and other European Tour events.
The bunker came to light after an appeal by the local newspaper in the area, The Free Press, was made on behalf of Chepstow gallery owner, Josephine Jones.
She had discovered her father was a member of a secretive army unit in the area called Abraham patrol and readers contacted the paper with information about a possible bunker at the course.
Posted Image Workers first thought the bunker was just a hole

Workers at the golf course then located the bunker and Ms Jones, whose father Brian Kerruish would have used the bunker to launch guerrilla attacks on enemy forces had an invasion occurred, went to visit the site.
She said: "It certainly was emotional coming here and imagining my father crawling around in this bunker.
"It looks like just a hole in the ground but if you look inside you can see the brick work that was done to build the bunker."
Golf Course Manager, Stewart Wood, added: "We discovered a hole in the ground a few months ago as we started to refurbish the course and did not know where it came from." "It's fascinating to find out that it was a war bunker, I had a look inside, but all you can see are old golf balls."
BBC NEWS | Wales | South East Wales | WWII bunker found on golf course

Edited by JCFalkenbergIII, 30 June 2008 - 01:19 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman.

#2 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

I heard about this just yesterday. Cool thing to find. Also, I can't remember where but this was also in the news just last night. They found a German bunker somewhere which still had its weaponry in tact and in place. Do you think you can dig up more info on that one? Sorry its so thin to go on-but is all I have.
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#3 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Ill give it a try ;) LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman.

#4 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Thanks JC, and i'll be back Tuesday to read it ;-D
Posted Image

#5 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Ta Da!!!!! :)

Posted Image
Untouched WWII bunker found on Danish coast

Published: 26 Jun 08 12:25 CET
Online: The Local - Untouched WWII bunker found on Danish coast

Danish archaeologists on Thursday reported finding a German bunker from World War II on the North Sea coast that has remained untouched for 63 years.
In interview with the Danish daily Politiken, Jens Andersen, director of the Hansholm Museum, said wind had blown free the sand that had covered the bunker for more than six decades.

When experts were able to enter the structure, located west of the town of Ringkobing on the Jutland peninsula, they found the interior had been undisturbed since being abandoned by German troops.

The archaeologists found bunks, chairs, cabinets, parts of uniforms and even bottles of ink that soldiers had left behind.

"It's fantastic," said Andersen. "I would have never thought something like this would have been possible."

According to the museum director, the bunker had probably been covered by shifting sands so quickly after the German surrender in May 1945 that there was no time to empty it of its contents.

More than 5,000 bunkers line Denmark's North Sea coast. They were part of Nazi Germany's so-called "Atlantic Wall" defensive line.

The Local - Untouched WWII bunker found on Danish coast
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

Impressive that you found the German bunker story so quickly after Carl asked for it!! Both are interesting stories.
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

Impressive that you found the German bunker story so quickly after Carl asked for it!! Both are interesting stories.

Thanks :). I was surprised too LOL. I would have loved to have been in on the Danish bunker find :).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Its amazing that they left all that behind and in such a rush. I wonder if anything was in better condition then those helmets?

Edited by JCFalkenbergIII, 30 June 2008 - 01:17 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:15 AM

Nice finds JCF!
These bunkers are popping up everywhere!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#10 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

Thanks. I guess the world is really getting smaller.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,537 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

I'd like to find one of these in that condition.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#12 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

Thanks. I guess the world is really getting smaller.

Yeah buddy!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#13 Tomcat

Tomcat

The One From Down Under

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:41 AM

That is unbelieveable, don't they make references to bunker locations though?
For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for the want of a shoe the horse was lost, for the want of a horse the rider was lost, for the want of a rider the battle was lost, For want of a battle the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Robert,

#14 Mats

Mats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

About the bunker in GB.
On our Golf Club we have about 3 bunkers next to every green!
I think you call it sand traps in the US.

Sorry - bad joke!

Mats
Mats R

#15 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,849 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Great stories, I wouldn't mind having those rusted helmets in my collection. The bunker in Wales could be a great wine cellar!

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#16 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

WWII bunker found on golf course

Posted Image The bunker was found near the 5th green on the Old Course

A secret bunker used by army officers during World War II has been unearthed at one of Wales' top golf courses.
Workers renovating the course at the Marriot St Pierre Hotel and Country Club near Chepstow, Monmouthshire discovered the bunker.
It is thought it was used by an undercover army unit based in the area during the war years called Abraham Patrol.
It was found near the 5th green on the Old Course.
The golf resort has hosted events like the Solheim Cup and other European Tour events.
The bunker came to light after an appeal by the local newspaper in the area, The Free Press, was made on behalf of Chepstow gallery owner, Josephine Jones.
She had discovered her father was a member of a secretive army unit in the area called Abraham patrol and readers contacted the paper with information about a possible bunker at the course.
Posted Image Workers first thought the bunker was just a hole

Workers at the golf course then located the bunker and Ms Jones, whose father Brian Kerruish would have used the bunker to launch guerrilla attacks on enemy forces had an invasion occurred, went to visit the site.
She said: "It certainly was emotional coming here and imagining my father crawling around in this bunker.
"It looks like just a hole in the ground but if you look inside you can see the brick work that was done to build the bunker."
Golf Course Manager, Stewart Wood, added: "We discovered a hole in the ground a few months ago as we started to refurbish the course and did not know where it came from." "It's fascinating to find out that it was a war bunker, I had a look inside, but all you can see are old golf balls."
BBC NEWS | Wales | South East Wales | WWII bunker found on golf course

JC you have excelled yourself:)this golf course is about 3 miles from where i come from in wales, and my mum told me about this story the other day on the phone as it was in the free press as you said. I asked her to keep the paper until my next visit after which i would of posted,but yourself being ever resourseful beat me to it will have to see if i can find out more when i visit my mum this week.well done JC.
WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY, FOR YOUR TOMORROW,WE GAVE OUR TODAY. Epitaph on the Kohima memorial .

#17 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:53 AM

JC you have excelled yourself:)this golf course is about 3 miles from where i come from in wales, and my mum told me about this story the other day on the phone as it was in the free press as you said. I asked her to keep the paper until my next visit after which i would of posted,but yourself being ever resourseful beat me to it will have to see if i can find out more when i visit my mum this week.well done JC.

Thanks.You will definately have to go and visit them LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:38 AM

Have to go and ask for my golf balls;)
WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY, FOR YOUR TOMORROW,WE GAVE OUR TODAY. Epitaph on the Kohima memorial .

#19 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

LOL Get some more pics too :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 diddyriddick

diddyriddick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Mats,

I was thinking the same thing, so don't feel too badly.
David

"It is history that teaches us to hope"
Robert E. Lee

#21 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

Thank you JC, i'd give you more points but i still have to spread them around a bit ;-))
  • Mats likes this
Posted Image

#22 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:49 AM

LOL Thanks. Likes I always say just remember it for later ;) LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#23 grim

grim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Loved the story on the danish bunker website about the guy with a flak gun in his garage.......
103 Squadron - Noli Me Tangere

#24 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Have got the paper that ran the story on bunker on golf coure in Wales, there are some more pics including one of the auxiliary unit in 1944 when i can work out how to show them on here i will do so.

#25 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Please do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users