• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:18 AM

It is my pleasure to join this excellent forum. I am well known on the 36th Div www.kwanah.com and www.military.com.

I am writting a book about my uncle KIA and study the stories of him and 6 uncles,one cousin that served in WW 2. I did research on the 4 men KIA from our small church. I'm happy to tell their stories.

My uncle C.A.Schaeg, 36th ID, 141st Reg, Cannon Co was an original T-Patcher from his enlistment in 1940.

He was born and raised in what is now Western St. Louis County, hollywood handsome, at 6'7" tall he did not chase women they chased him !! He was recruited to play for the St Louis Cardinal in 1937, problem was he made more money working the Missouri River Bottom farms at .26 cents an hour than going to Cario, ILL and the minor leagues. So in 1940 he was one of 5 brothers to enlist in the military.

My brave uncle saw hell on earth but loved the pay, food, and a place to sleep while in the US Army. It beat a corn silk bed and snow falling in the roof, with nothing but killed game and gravey bread in the deep depression of the 20's and 30's.

He was KIA on 12/12/1944 while fighting his last battle in the Voges Mountains of France. He earned 2 Arrowheads, and many other medals and respect from the Army and he gave his all !!

Louisiana Manuvers
Camp Maybry
Ft Benning
Ft Blanding
Ft Edwards

Oran, N. Africa
Salerno Invasion (arrowhead)
Rapido River
Cassino
Anzio
Capture of Rome
S. France Invasion (arrowhead)
Montilimar
Colmar Pocket
Voges Mountains (KIA)

He was there and served his country well.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Steve Schaeg

Edited by 36thID, 01 July 2008 - 12:43 AM.

#2 krieg

krieg

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:42 AM

welcome aboard mate
a fine place here..you will enjoy your stay
cheers krieg
for thow . will be ours someday.we shall have it all
.:ww1ace:.. und mear...:snoopy:....

#3 T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner

Genuine Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:57 AM

Welcome. My father was in the 36th Quartermaster Company in the communications section (he was a prewar National Guardsman and a Captain). He attended the 36th's reunions in San Antonio for many years until he died. I still have a large collection of the Quarterly journals and newsletters from the division association on hand too.

#4 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Steve. Thank you for posting about your uncle - he gave everything! I look forward to reading your future posts, and hope you enjoy it here.
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,948 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

Welcome Steve. It's good to have you on the forum. I have already read and appreciated your contribution in the Goum thread.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#6 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Welcome to the Forum. You will enjoy your time here, I am sure. More importantly, many thanks to your family for serving our country. Your uncle gave all and it is good that you are sharing his stories with us so that we can honor him, too.

#7 diddyriddick

diddyriddick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

Welcome aboard, Steve! Thanks for sharing the story of your uncle, and his service/sacrifice. I hope you enjoy the forum.
David

"It is history that teaches us to hope"
Robert E. Lee

#8 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Thanks to all for your kind response ! I assure you I'll be an active member and enjoy discussing the turning point of world history, WW 2.

You will find I'm no fan of the Japanese. I feel they started a brutal personal attack on mankind. Nanking was a sign of what the world faced with their pompous disregard of humanity.Of course neither do I have any love for the Nazi tyrants. Both deserved what they asked for, total war. Both countries were leveled and paid the price. I just feel Japan may have gotten off a little easy at the conclusion. Germany received it's due at the end Berlin, and rightfully so. As they say what goes around comes around.

More people died during LeMay's firebombing than did in the attomic attaks so I don't put that as an attack on Japan. Those bombs were more more than the end of WW 2, those bombs could be the end of everyone on this wonderful planet.

I stongly feel Hirohito should of been hanged in Tokyo in August of '45 or with Tojo at the tribunals. He knew what was going on. When I was in high school I remember seeing Hirohito presiding over the Sapporo Winter Olympics. Still looking smug and still giving the look of entitlement, it made me boil.

Both of these 2 countries were idiots, blindly leading tyrants to their own demise. Even after D-Day and after Okinawa they still were led like sheep.

Enough rambling I hope you see my tribute I just posted on the general forum on this wonderful web site.

Best Regards To All,

Steve

#9 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,948 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

No problem Steve. I'd be embarassed if you told me you supported those too leaders. As long as your discussions do not promote hatred and do not end up in an anti Japanese crusade, it's fine with me. You might be interested in some of our theads in the Pacific section.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#10 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:21 AM

Welcome!!
I'm sure you will enjoy it here!!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

0 user(s) are reading this topic