Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian Hockey League pays best?

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Jaromir Jagr signed with a Russian team a day after his split with the New York Rangers, leaving the NHL after nearly two decades and returning to the club he joined during the 2004-05 lockout.

The Russian League team Avangard Omsk announced the signing of the 36-year-old Czech winger on its Web site Friday.

"It was the toughest decision in my life, hockey-wise. ... No question about it. I hate making changes," Jagr told The Canadian Press.

Jagr's agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed the signing in an e-mail. He and Jagr, as well the team, wouldn't comment on contract terms. However, the deal is believed to be for two years plus an option for a third, and will pay Jagr about $7 million tax free, the equivalent of about $11 million a season in the NHL.

Jaromir Jagr leaves NHL for Russian team | Sports News | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Wow. This is news to me! :eek:

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Tax Free! What a deal

4. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

wouldn't say they pay the best. They were just more movitivated to get a european player and a "star" player in the league. To boost attendance etc. Ottawa's goalie last year Ray Emery has signed over there aswell. Because no one wanted him over here. So the statement of them paying the most, is more and likely in correct.

5. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

First i must say hockey is my passion (sportswise), as all other's are secondary to me & the Rangers are my team. The Jagr signing was bittersweet as i hate to see him go ,but it's time to move forward. Also note that the Rangers 1st round pick last season (Cherapanov) plays on the same team as Jaromir & i'm sure Jag's will be a great mentor for him.

As for the whole deal with NHL'ers going overseas, can't say i blame them, but they're doing themselves a disservice in regards to status as of course the best do play over here. BUT, money talks & b.s. walks. Some of the offers given & have been made are much larger than what they can receive in north america. Since this thread started, there's been an agreement with the Russian league & the NHL in regards to "tampering" with players under contract.