Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The New WW2F PhotoPost Gallery!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery Support' started by Otto, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You've probably already noticed the four images across the top of the frontpage here on the WWII Forums. I'm very happy and excited to formally announce the opening all new WWII Forums PhotoPost Image Gallery! This is an all new feature here on the WWII Forums that will make this website an even better research tool. Rogues now have the ability to upload photos and images directly to this website, and have those photos linked to their profile. There are already some photos in the gallery and we'd love to see your additions.

There are some guideline that you should be aware of if you are going to be using the WWIIF PhotoPost Gallery.

Each Upload is one Post
    Every image you post to the WWIIF PhotoPost Gallery adds one post to your post count. Therefore if you make 10 posts in the forums and upload 10 photos, you post count will be 20.

Categories Managed by the OKF
    We want to keep the Gallery clean and orderly. So to begin with, members are only able to upload images to their personal folders. Once you have uploaded your images, Private Message me (Otto) and I will move the images to the appropriate areas. This arrangement is temporary as we are still establishing categories and working on the best structure of our Gallery

Incremental Storage Space
    I'm not going to give away exact numbers, but each member has a maximum server space to store their images. The more posts you have, the better reputation you have and the longer the membership you have on ww2f.com will give you more space on the server. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as the more quality images you upload, the more posts you get and therefore the more space you have.

Maximum & Minimum Image Size
    The minimum image size is 250 pixels wide and 250 pixels high. All images will need to be larger than this, or the images will not be accepted by the software. As well, images can bt no larger than 1200 pixels in either dimension, this is not a problem as images larger than this will be reduced in size to the allotted scale.

A Valuable Resource, not a Generic Gallery
    We want this Gallery to be a history resource, so we expect you to give details and background information on your uploaded images. What we do not want is members simply uploading images for a hosting service. There are plenty of services that already do this (such as ImageShack or Flickr). Required fields will be an image title, a brief description, keywords, and the original image date of capture/creation. Those that fail to upload files with this extra information will have their image upload ability revoked and their images deleted.
    • Photo Title - If you upload an image and do not supply a name for the image, we simply won't know what it is. Be clear on what the image is as we want to know what your photo is.
    • Description - Always try to supply a description of the image. This will elevate your image post from a simple photo/graphic to a descriptive tool.
    • Keywords - For search purposes, add a few relevant keywords to the image. A well keyworded image will be easier to find and is a better resource.
    • Date of Capture/Creation - ALWAYS try to give the date of the image in this format: YYYY-MM-DD. We use this format because it makes sorting by date only more accurate that starting with a month or day. If you are not sure of the date, then do your best to give a close approximation. eg. "2004-??-?? (circa)" or "1944-06-?? (pre)". If you are posting an image of a painting, then supply the original creation date of the painting.
    Photo Essays
    If you have a series of photos (at least five), that you took on a museum visit, relic dig, member meet-up etc., then you can request the OKF (Admin Team) to create a Photo Essay folder for you. Once you upload all your photos, we will then create a new gallery just for you in the "Photo Essay" section. Now you will be able to have a permanent record of your experience and will be able to share it with other Rogues.

Please do not post questions in this thread, rather visit the dedicated WW2F PhotoPost Gallery Feedback thread for all issues, questions and comments.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wow!

Great work,Otto! Thanx!

The WW2Forums sure is expanding....

Hope I got the time for uploading my storage of WW2 pics...Perhaps during summer holiday...

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Awesome! Great work Otto!

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good show Otto!

5. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Otto

Well done, a step in the right direction that I will certainly try to make use of.

I have sent you a PM regarding my initial attempts to use the facility and will try not to overload the system with my bungling :p

Regards

Ron

6. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Wow!! All this and hot Russian chicks too!!

(jk! (banner!))

7. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I AM amazed, Otto! I'll be adding my content along time :)

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you all better be prepared for some mind-knumbing and fool hardy imagery shortly .......... :cool:

9. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Fantastic work, Otto! I'll do my best figure out how to post....

10. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Another great feature, to a great site!!

Well done!

11. krieg

krieg Ace

nice one otto will dig out some photo's to be put up there soon
    best krieg

12. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Excellent stuff Otto, uploaded a couple of pics earlier in the week, will hopefully get a couple more up later today. Another great addition to a great forum.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It works perfectly for me too Otto. I downloaded five heavy pics at the same time and they were automatically resized . I will down load many more in the future