Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Family Records

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Piat, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Piat

Piat Member

Hey people I hope this is the right section for this post.

Well like a lot of peoples relatives my Grandad served in the British army during the Burma Campaign during WWII, and he lived throughout the war but sadly died during the 1990s. My Great Grandad also serviced during WWI but it's my Grandad's history during WWII/Burma I'm interested in.

Any how I was wondering if my family would be able to get access to his service record, from the MoD possible is that right? I'm fascinating by any information I can gain about him so any help on how to get this would be grateful.

P.S in his service record would a photo of him when he joined the army be included? I've been a student of WWII now for about 2 years and little details like this ellude me.

2. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Hi Piat and welcome my dad served in burma and im trying to get his service records. Try this veterans-uk.info/service_records you have to be next of kin or get written permisson from who is, when applying to glasgow will post more info when i find forms i have to send about my dad do you know where in burma your grandad served? kind regards. Jason

3. Piat

Piat Member

Thanks for the website link I'll give it a proper read over later. Sorry I don't know where exactly in Burma he served, I believe he was an engineer that's about all I know. I don't think he spoke about the war much after it I think he just got on with life and didn't bother to bring it up, so I don't have a lot of information to go on.

4. Piat

Piat Member

Does anyone else have any info? Do you get a photo with a service record? any help is grateful, thanks

5. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Welcome. There are two forms that need to be completed. You will need your Grandfather's Date of Birth or Service Number.

As for the information you'll receive. A photo is unlikely. You should get copies of his enlistment papers, postings, promotions etc. There could be other documents too which relate to particular events in his service.

Steve W.

6. Piat

Piat Member

OK, Thanks, I thought a photo would be asking too much, if I can find out what operations/postings he served in etc... I will be happy enough just to know what he did.

Funny enough I remember seeing his service number when I was young (it was tattooed across his left wrist) but I obviously can't remember it now. I'll look into getting his DoB and Death certificates.

7. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Hi Piat you will need to send any enquiry to army personnel centre civil secretariat historical disclosures mail point 400,kentigern house,65 brown stret, glasgow G28EX tel 01412245126. Probably best to phone so they can send you a search questionnaire and certificate of kinship if you are not next of kin you need written permisson from who is and you will have to pay £30, you must have either date of birth or service number i have not sent my dads request in yet because although i have his dob i dont have his service no and have been trying to find it without any luck. But i wish you the best of luck in your search kind regards. Jason

8. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

9. Piat

Piat Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm busy trying to talk to family members and getting together the information I need, again thanks for the help and getting me on my way.

10. ruth

ruth recruit

im also in the process of trying to get information from the Army records in Glasgow , i tried asking at a regimental museum but they had no record .

my Great uncle was from leicester and was in Singapore when it fell , and im interested in Burma . i couldnt get the information before he died and no relatives know much as my Great uncle wouldnt talk about anything after being in the POW camps .

it costs £30 when you fill the certificate of kinship in and get any letter from the next of kin .

11. Piat

Piat Member

Question update chaps. I've just now finally got round to getting the forms printed off.

Will I need the SAR Form submitted as well as the kinship one? (http://veterans-uk.info/pdfs/service_records/sar.pdf) I can't get my head around this one, it says I need permission from the person the data is about (even though they're deceased) or a court order :confused:

I've just stuck to the Kinship form, I have his name, DOB and service number completed, I've just had to leave out why he left the army as I'm not sure if it was the demobilisation after the war or a medical condition. So I'm hoping what I have is suffice, a long with Next of Kin permission and death certificate. Do I need to submit £30 with this, I seen it mentioned on the forum but there is no mention of it on the form.

So if I submit the Kinship form with all the details/evidence to the specified address, if successful I should get copies of his service records/war operations involved etc...?

I think I'm a fairly smart person but I must be feeling dumb when it comes to this, I'm trying to use the official website of it all as I guide but I'm still coming up short Service records

12. Piat

Piat Member

Anyone got any advice from where I can go from here or how to proceed (see previous post)? I actually seen a couple of his original documents the other day thanks to a cousin, but they were so frail I was scared to touch them and didn't want to move them, so I just quickly read through them and found out he was a sapper, while he was in Asia. I'm just confused what I should do with the forms I have and havn't filled in so far, again see previous post for my predicament