Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Favre Era...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Mussolini, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

...has begun!

J - E - T - S
    JETS! JETS! JETS!

Kendusimmus likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

But, he's like what, old as I am? His parts don't work as well as they did 20 years ago and his warranty is about to expire.

3. Mussolini

Well, we all know how old Vinny was last time he played for the Jets :eek: Gotta uphold the tradition - Chad and Clemens are too young :p

Anyways, should bring in some good revenue for the Jets and make this season an interesting one.

4. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I would be intrested in what Favre has to say about it. I thought he didn't want to go to New York. Either way New York media is much less forgiving than what he is used to. Not to say he was never under the spotlight, but now its gotten much bigger.

5. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

where is vinny testaverde now,he had a great arm at the jets.lee.:).

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He retired at the end of the 2007 season, after playing with Carolina.

7. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

the only chance the jets ever had was when old hawkeye vinnie was there.perhaps kerry collins would have been a better option.old brett is well,too old.:D.

8. Mussolini

Kerry Collins? LMFAO! Brett did have a pretty good season last year. If he can keep that up this year, things should be interesting.

Would be rather ironic to see a Jets/Packers Superbowl :eek:

9. FramerT

FramerT Ace

From what I understood, he could have went where ever he wanted, except the Vikings. He had "talks" with Tampa Bay.
    IMO. Brett has tarnished his image with Green Bay. This is like V. Lombardi leaving to coach another team.
    Emmit Smith decided he still wanted to play after great years in Dallas and went to the lowly Cardinals.
    Joe Montana, same deal.

Brett surely isn't thinking about getting another Super Bowl ring, not with the Jets. I hope the Jets have a decent offensive line so Brett stays upright.

10. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Jet Favre

The Packers put a poison pill in the trade deal for Minnesota (or same conference)....three "first round draft picks" to the Packers if you do trade him there. Sports politics.....still dirty.
    but then again three trades down the road and no one ever heard of that deal :D.

Two free agent acquisitions, and a first round draft pick ought to give him an offensive line to hide behind. I hope the Jets stomp the Patriots, since they play each other so much, or used to.

Still Brett was a "God" in Green Bay and could do no wrong, even if he did.
    Get ready to acquire "A New York State of Mind". No mercy.

11. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

1) Brett's image is more than just tarnished in Green Bay. It is tarnished everywhere.
    2) The Jets will still smell slightly more pungent than eggs left out in the heat for 6 weeks.
    3) The Patriots will still crush their division, including the Jets.
    4) It will be New England then Buffalo in the East!

12. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Favre is good for 2 more wins (making it 6) than last season.
    Welcome to the AFC Brett. Prepare to be humbled.

13. Mussolini

Heh...we have a buffalo fan in our midst...you might as well move to Miami :eek:

14. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I AM NOT A BILLS FAN!!!! I was trying to find a backhanded way to insult the Jets and Fins! For clarity, my teams are the Patriots and the Bucs, in that order. If I manage to draft David Garrard this year, I will also follow the Jags.

15. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

i like new england patriots,probably because england is mentioned,but my auntie shirly used to live in tampa,and i like chucky.go tampa.lee.:eek:

16. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

"Brett Favre, who only three weeks ago said he planned to remain retired, changed his mind yet again Tuesday, agreeing to join the Minnesota Vikings after all. It’s the second time in two years that Favre announced he was retired, only to reverse course soon after.

The Vikings, who had courted Favre throughout the off-season only to be left empty-handed on the eve of training camp, planned to address the media later Tuesday. When Favre initially said he would not come back, Coach Brad Childress said the team would move forward with the quarterbacks on its roster and had no interest in Favre."

Could he get any more annoying?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/sports/football/19favre.html?hp

17. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I'm saddened to hear this, I am a Vikings fan (of sorts) and would like to see Favre aid the effort toward a SB, but I cannot help but feel his contribution will be minimal in the long run, and disruptive in the short.

I also would hate to see the 39 year old guy (an old man in the QB position these days), injured to the point he pays for the game with major injury. Old bones, ligiments, and muscle don't "react" as easily as they once did.

Will hold off on a condemnation of this, but I have a "bad feeling".

18. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Well Clint, I will condem it for you. This is a very bad idea. As it stands he will be remembered as some old guy who couldn't come to grips with the fact he was getting older. Emmit Smith was a great running back. However my lasting memory of such a great RB is him struggling to earn 30 yards a game with Arizona. Same with Montana. I remember Montana more as an average QB with the Chiefs than how he deserved to be remembered as a 49er. At least Elway got out when he was both on top, and still had "it". Favre should have taken notice.

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I just ran into this over on NFL.com and it made me re-think my skeptisim a bit, if only a bit.

Favre is getting a chance to experience what John Elway had when his Broncos won two Super Bowls with Terrell Davis in the backfield. In 1998, Elway only played in 12 games and threw just 356 passes (166 fewer than Favre last year), but he got 2,008 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns from Davis and still managed to throw 22 touchdown passes while being sacked only 18 times. Childress will have the ability to spice up this offense in many ways and has done them all in the past with the Eagles. But he's also smart enough to know that winning doesn't have to look fancy. "Vanilla" works, if he cares to go in that direction.

What Denver had in 1997-98 was a fresh Elway down the stretch and all the way to two Super Bowls. The Vikings got to the playoffs last year without Favre, but couldn't do a thing once there. Now they will have Favre.

Favre's presence turns vanilla Vikings into a spicy, dangerous mix

Now, if Favre can add that extra "worry" for defensive co-ordinating coaches, they won't be able to focus on Petersen so closely in the first couple of downs. Like it or not, Favre does add that worry, as well as the 'opps" factor of INTs.

BTW, that Monday Night game was pretty good for a preseason game, I thought we might end up with an OT for a while there.

20. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

It seems to me quite rude. The past two years he has received hordes of attention as everything was his "last" There were all this tributes made etc. and now for the second time he comes back and joins another different team! Imagine what Packers fans are feeling.