Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Search for Canadian veteran Ernest "Ernie" Davidson

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by gdnevels, Aug 17, 2008.

1. gdnevels

gdnevels recruit

For some time I am trying to find a Canadian veteran who stayed at my grandparents’ house during the liberation of my hometown Groningen. Unfortunately both my grandparents aren’t alive anymore, but still I want to continue my search for mister Davidson to thank him (or his family if he is no longer alive) for what he has done to liberate my country so many years ago. My question is if there is anyone who can help me in my search for mister Davidson?

This is all the information I have:
    · his name is Ernest “Ernie” Davidson
    · signalman of the Royal Canadian Corps Of Signals (RCCS)
    · his service number was B39119
    · active in the Canadian army from10th august 1942 to 27th february 1946
    · took part in the liberation of Groningen in the north of the Netherlands
    · stayed at the house of Dedde & Geeske Wijma
    · earned the following medals: Italy Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, War Medal 1939-1945[/font]
    · only known next of kin: his mother Martha Alice Davidson, who was located at 74 Cosburn Avenue, Toronto, Ontario.

I have enclosed the only photograph I have of mister Davidson. Please help me!

Attached Files:

rbmutch likes this.
  2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I found an Ernest Davidson in the Royal Canadian Legion's Last Post Salute here Last Post: Death Notice | Legion Magazine

As it does not give his service number it is possible that this is not him. It states that he died February 10, 2007 at the age of 86, was a Sergeant in the Canadian Army and a member of the Port Moody Branch of the Legion in Port Moody, British Columbia. You might try writing to the Port Moody Branch of the Legion to see if they would forward a letter on to his family if they are able to confirm that this gentleman has the same service number as the Ernest Davidson for whom you are searching. If this is the same person please do still contact his family, as I know for myself I would be thrilled to be contacted by a member of the Braam family in Nijmegen with whom my father was billeted.

Good Luck!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes this is good and sad news at the same time. If he is the man you are looking for, you are one year too late, but at the same time thanks to Macrusk you would have found his relatives (details on the Canadian white pages)