19 replies to this topic

#1 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

This article made me throw up in my mouth just a bit. Somethings should just never be suggested. Sacrilege!!

Diary entry may offer proof that baseball came from England - MLB - SI.com

#2 WotNoChad?

WotNoChad?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

Well we've invented some of the best things known to man, woman or beast.

Inventing the USA was one of finest endeavours though. :D

cheers,
  • Sloniksp likes this

Posted Image

#3 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

cheers,

I cannot argue with that and, truth be told, I am a bit of an Anglophile. Indeed, my Mum was born and grew up on the British Channel Islands. That said, if baseball is not American, I just don't know anything anymore!

#4 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Too bad he didnt describe the game of "base ball" in his entry. Well, if the English played it, we "refined" it!:D Cheers!

#5 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Do the British even play the game. I don't recall ever seeing it played when I was there in the 80's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 redcoat

redcoat

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

Do the British even play the game. I don't recall ever seeing it played when I was there in the 80's.

There are a few amateur clubs in the major cities, and US baseball is shown on one of the smaller TV channels after midnight, but it is very much a minority sport.
if in doubt....Panic!!!!

#7 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

Mildly puzzled and suspect there's no real 'discovery' here... as I always thought Stoolball the progenitor of all these stick & ball games.
It predates 1755 by a long way (and was certainly still widespread in the 17th century.) :
National Stoolball Association - play the game of stoolball
Stool ball: a medieval baseball game
The game was associated with Easter too, so I wonder if that's what Bray refers to in his diary?
Seems more likely, particularly as he was apparently playing 'mixed'.

It's not a bad game if played with the batter standing on the 'stool'... once you've established the "No edged weapons except by prior agreement" rule. ;)

Cheers,
Adam.
It's only the Internet...

#8 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

30 seconds of googling reveals an 11 years older reference than Bray's to 'base ball' from 1744, possibly referring to early Rounders:
National Rounders Association:- Home
A gentrified and refined form of stoolball, which is certainly one step closer to the American game.

Edited by Von Poop, 12 September 2008 - 02:50 PM.

It's only the Internet...

#9 WotNoChad?

WotNoChad?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

I cannot argue with that and, truth be told, I am a bit of an Anglophile. Indeed, my Mum was born and grew up on the British Channel Islands. That said, if baseball is not American, I just don't know anything anymore!

I wouldn't worry about it mate, there's plenty of things which have become US icons which originated elsewhere, and plenty of UK icons which came from further afield too. Curry is a good example here, most popular dish nationally, the only local development being the sauce for a chicken tikka masala and nasty things like cheese naan.

I think it's a good and healthy sign, nations being open to new things and all. The time to worry is should you find yourself in a society which is the same as it ever was, or Belgium.

I think the most popular form is rounders, typically played in junior schools.
Personally prefer cricket of course, surprised it hasn't taken off there, although I have heard of some matches and even read a match report (Eng Expats v RoW in California) featuring "Cheech" Marin who's a fearless batsman.

cheers,

Posted Image

#10 redcoat

redcoat

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

In Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey, in the first chapter the young heroine is described as preferring "cricket, baseball, riding on horseback and running about the country to books". ;)
if in doubt....Panic!!!!

#11 GPRegt

GPRegt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Bit of history here.

Steve W.

#12 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,843 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

There's no way that baseball, a game that involves a lot of standing around doing nothing, could have been invented in England...wait, let me think about that some more.:D:D:D:D

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#13 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

There's no way that baseball, a game that involves a lot of standing around doing nothing, could have been invented in England...wait, let me think about that some more.:D:D:D:D

You are so right. Baseball must have originated in Washington DC . . . .;)

#14 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

well, finally some people start to recognize this game being as thriling as cricket :D

Regards
Kruska
Imagine there is a WAR!!! - and your TV doesn't work

#15 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

My favorite play...
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#16 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,843 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

well, finally some people start to recognize this game being as thriling as cricket :D

Regards
Kruska

Well, actually it is quite enjoyable to play, I just hate to watch it. I played from the 2nd grade up until I finished HS and loved every minute of it. The only games I like to watch are those that involve 5, 6 or 7 years olds.
:D

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#17 WotNoChad?

WotNoChad?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:38 AM

You're both missing the point of cricket as spectator sport. Imagine a game which starts at around ten, finishes around five, lasts for five days and has a nearby bar for the entirity of it.

Edited by WotNoChad?, 25 September 2008 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

#18 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

makes sense to me, we steal all your TV shows too!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#19 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

Oh please, similar games were played all over Europe. Both before Rounders was played in Briton, or Town Ball was played in America. None had too much in common with BASEBALL as played worldwide today. They were all games involving "bases, balls, and striking sticks". But from that point on they are all weird as hell.

And let us not forget about "Town Ball", a game which is a cousin of baseball, and both were evolving at that time in Ameria. In this game a ball is pitched; batters try to hit it with an ax handle or some other piece of wood; runs are scored. But it ain't baseball.

To get runners out, you throw the ball at them. And it's one out per inning, not three. Instead of bases there are poles, there was no such thing as a foul ball, for instance, so every little foul tip was occasion for much scurrying.

A referee, as the official was then called, sits in a chair in the middle of the infield, watching for rule violations and issuing fines to players who commit them.

Here is a link to the 1854 "Town Ball" rules, but as the name implies the rules for each "town" could easily vary:

Town Ball Rules of 1854

And here is another even more interesting link to the game as adopted on the North American landmass, including Canada:

Description and Rules of Townball

And here is one to the 11th Century!:

SABR UK: Early bat and ball games

which describes "stick, base, and ball" games. While they are all "stick/bat, base, and ball" games, and are the forms from which American Baseball evolved, they are certainly NOT BASEBALL as it is played and has been played since 1870 in America, and actually worldwide.

In these games the players run clockwise, must hit the runner with the ball to put him out after a "hit" (thrown or touching), no foul balls, cannot leave the "base, fort, sanctuary" until another "hit" is had. Ya take your hand off the post and you are "out".

Doesn’t sound much like BASEBALL does it?

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#20 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,558 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:24 AM

cheers,

I thought that the Bailey Bridge and the angled flight decks on carriers were pretty good too....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users