#1 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,298 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

U.S. military dive team maps site of 1942 plane crash in N.L. harbour

An U.S. military dive team is spending this month in Newfoundland mapping the site of a plane crash that occurred in the harbour in Botwood 66 years ago.

The group, known as the Joint Prisoner of War-M.I.A. Accounting Command, is based out of Hawaii. It conducts humanitarian missions around the world to recover remains of American personnel lost during military missions.

Capt. George Mitroka says the Excalibur, one of the famous flying boats that used Botwood as a stopover between the U.S. and Ireland, crashed during takeoff on Oct. 3, 1942.

He says 11 of the 37 people on board were killed and two are still unaccounted for.

Mitroka says once the plane is found his team will map the area of the wreckage and debris field and gather evidence to determine whether the remains of the missing can be recovered.
Posted Image

#2 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Here's the aircraft type referenced above...

Posted Image

I'm still glad to see that the MIAs/KIAs are still being looked for even after 60 + years!

#3 klbaker

klbaker

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hello,

My father was a member of the crew that found the wreckage back in October of 1987, the diving team working on it right now recovered the other 3 props along with some other remains, and making progress every day. The team continues to work hard on this mission, will keep updating.

#4 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,298 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanx klbaker,

we are definitely interested so everything you can tell us is appreciated!
Posted Image

#5 Exsignaller

Exsignaller

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

Hello,

My father was a member of the crew that found the wreckage back in October of 1987, the diving team working on it right now recovered the other 3 props along with some other remains, and making progress every day. The team continues to work hard on this mission, will keep updating.

My father and his work crew found a plane wreck of an American bomber in the interior of Newfoundland back in the early 70's.
I don't know if it ever became common knowledge. I have never found any reference to the crash on the internet.

#6 samgnk

samgnk

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

One of the remains they are looking for is Capt. Warren C.M. Lessing Army Air Corps.
He is my wife's Grandfather.
We have been working on this for the past 10 years and awaiting the final report from JAPAC to see if they are going back to recover.

klbaker: Is Bill your Father??

#7 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

samgnk -- klbaker has not been on the site since September 12 so you may not get a response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users