• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:34 AM

This factual account bears little to no resemblance to the film of the same name. I am a few chapters into this 1973 read and it is quite good. Craig has that odd talent of being able to put the reader into the boots of the people who were there, and an uncanny ability to relay the terror, filth, chaos, and carnage that these people found themselves embroiled in. A great read so far!
Enemy at the Gates, William Craig, Book - Barnes & Noble

Edited by JeffinMNUSA, 13 September 2008 - 11:32 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 airborne medic

airborne medic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Have to agree - a good book...and if you read this one don't forget to read the Beevor Stalingrad book too!

#3 JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

ABN;
I read the Beevor book about 20 years ago. The recent Michael K. Jones version sheds light on a lot of previously unknown dimensions of the epic battle and made for a real rocket ride. I guess I could recommend it also.
JeffinMNUSA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

Have to agree - a good book...and if you read this one don't forget to read the Beevor Stalingrad book too!

Anything by Beevor is good! Try his work "Berlin - The Downfall,1945" if you liked his Stalingrad vehicle, it's outstanding. I havent read any of his other books, but I am looking forward to them.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Those who kept silent yesterday will remain silent tomorrow"
~Elie Wiesel~

#5 Stefan

Stefan

Cavalry Rupert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

As I recall the big problem with this volume is that it perpetuates the myth of the sniper duel which has been pretty well debunked.
There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

#6 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Aquila non capit muscas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,809 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

One of the comments read: "Vassili Zaitsev killed about or more than 300,000 germans. " :lol:

Is this book connected with the film?

Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra...

#7 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,230 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

The book was mostly good. As I remember, the movie was derived from more or less one paragraph out of the book.

I don't remember that line in the book, Za. Now you've got me wanting to find it, but first I have to find the book. Hmmm, I wonder where I've stored it?

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#8 JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:42 AM

The Craig account is flawed insofar as the author presents propaganda-ie. Zaitsev vs. Koenig- as fact. What else was Craig to do? It was 1973 and as Glantz has said "there are NO reliable Russian accounts from the Soviet era." Otherwise a good read (and not even this flawed version of history bears ANY resemblance to the totally warped film of the same name).
JeffinMNUSA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users