14 replies to this topic

#1 TA152

TA152

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 12:23 PM

I have not traveled out side the US, except for Mexico, but I get the impression from TV and newspapers that other countries like Russia and Japan hold their WWII veterans with alot more respect than the US does. I am not talking about forum members, but the public in general.

Do any of you have the same impression that have had the chance to travel the planet?
I need a bailout of only $500,000

#2 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 10:10 AM

I agree that in Russia the vets are very much put on the foreground at parades and stuff....but that might be "propaganda"? I don't know if they get any (special) benefit but they sure seem proud of their accomplishments and medals...

I have always felt the US does honor their veterans. In Holland you hardly hear anything about the Dutch vets. Once in a blue moon there is a short doc. on tv on an action they did. They parade before the Royal family at times but that is it. They have reunions but they are hardly advertised. I have found it easier to find WW2 vets in the US than in my own country.

To me it seems that the US and Britain do honor their veterans a lot more than in Holland.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Paul Errass

Paul Errass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 04:17 PM

I was in Stalingrad last May for the Russian victory day celebrations and was fortunate to speak to a number of Russian veterns including the Chairman of the Stalingrad veterans association,who accompanied us for 9 days.

On Victory day the veterans were very much feted by the population and rightly so.It is not uncommon to see vets walking in the streets wearing all their medal ribbons and they appear to be very well respected still,within the community.

In Britain it is different,where a majority of the population give very little thought or respect to the men and women who won the freedom that is now enjoyed in this country.In Stalingrad on Victory day tens and tens of thousands of people were out on the streets and on the Mamayev Kurgan,which was a fantastic experience,whilst on remembrance day in Britain apart from the cenetaph only a handful of people can be bothered to attend services other than vets and vet associations and people like ourselves.

Paul
Nikto ne Zabyt . Nichto ne Zabyto. Let no one forget . Let nothing be forgotten.

Always looking to buy Militaria / documents related to the Battle of Narva 1944 and Infanterie Regt 15 , 29 ( Mot) Infanterie Division.

#4 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:21 PM

Vets do not get the positive attention that they deserve. Its really distasteful and itrratable to see that here but also to hear of that everywhere else.

Im glad that since 1999--that ive made serious efforts in contacting vets from many nations--most notable German vets but with a smattering of vets from other lands as well.

Some German examples include the last living gunnery officer and Kapt Lindemanns aide--Burkhard Frhr von Mullenheim-Rechberg--Ritterkreuztragers like: Remy Schrijnen, Erich Topp, Rudolf von Ribbentrop, Reinhard Hardegan, Ernst Barkmann adn several others.

I only know 3 British vets--one is a Victoria Cross Recipient (thanks to my good friend Paul) Capt Richard Wallace Annand V.C. I know Doug Tidy--a Spitfire Sq Co, and another BoB pilot.

I know so few US vets but--I know David Lee "Tex" Hill (who lives only 2 hrs from me) and a few others.

I also thank God--that we have Sapper here on our forums.

[ 30. December 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#5 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:38 PM

Yeah Brian (Sapper), a definate plus for us younger guys who wern't there !
You guys are right on as I remember all too well just 5 years agao attending an almost mini-reunion of US bomber crew vets at our little Merlin airport. The B-17 and the B-24 of the Collins foundation flew in and so few of the public showed up to give their admiration to these goregeous a/c and to give thanks to our "older" generation for serving our country. Really sad plus I overheard two really nasty remarks from younger people that this showing was a waste of time........man if I would of had a rock I would have.......
As in Deutschland I have interviewed many pilots with much of the same responses. Our kids don't care, especially our grandchildren as they have it so good with the country being rebuilt. They do not want to know about the hardships that went on here in the 1940's.
Write the veterans from all nations gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

E
:aceofspades: E ~

#6 panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:36 AM

So few people really care about what happened. My younger brother is one of those people. People at my highschool scorn me for talking to the VFW guys that do the flag ceremonies at football and basketball games. I do not share their apathy when it comes to veterans. It is a real shame. I too would have stoned those kids that said it was a waste of time.
"Front leaning rest position"
"Move"
"In cadence, exercise....1, 2, 3" (My favorite thing to hear at 5 in the morning.)

#7 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2002 - 08:54 AM

I was attending the local Finnish Waffen-SS men meeting in November this year, and I heard something that really got me feel bad.

They had asked for a donation from one political party especially active in the Turku Finland area. The money would have gone to the flowers and cards etc of the comrades´ funerals in the area. As well the female representative ( young 26 years or so )was asked to come and join the once yearly held bigger meeting, this time in Turku.

The veterans were furious as the female politician had answered " No thanks.Who´s going to remember you guys soon? We got better things to invest the money on. WW2 is forgotten, by the way, by people."

:(
Posted Image

#8 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:01 PM

:mad: Kai :

Did someone do the admirable thing and throw this woman out into the mud ?! :mad: Face first ?

E
:aceofspades: E ~

#9 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2002 - 07:11 PM

Erich,

I guess the men of the WW2 time are so polite...No, they did not throw her in the mud. Instead I could have given her some petrol and a box of matches to follow...And another thing...Many people today think that WW2 happened in the 1960´s... :confused: :eek: :confused:
Posted Image

#10 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:33 PM

Unchartered territory for me Finland, know the basics, whys and whens etc...And wouldnt dream of thinking you guys had not seen this before..But Maybe some Fins need to read this if they havent already...Got me interested now...Will be digesting this zone in detail now...Cheers.

http://www.pp.clinet...tory/mheim.html

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#11 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:40 PM

Nothing is ever learned and apparently that female never had to put her life on the line for anything or anyone :mad:
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#12 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 January 2003 - 09:08 PM

I read a stupid line in a newspaper by a young man a while ago, who probably thought he was very clever...

He said that the veterans´fighting in ww2 was not necessary, as with hindsight he figured that Russia would have anyway fallen in 1991...and Finland independent again..
He thought we should have given our country to the Russians for free... :mad:

Well, I think that many things would have happened mean while 1939-1991, and one for example was, that we would have been sent to Siberia ( all of us ) as Stalin had already thought of that before the Winter War.But maybe the young man was thinking of independent Siberia, who knows... :D :mad:
Posted Image

#13 Sniper

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:29 AM

It's an unfortunate fact of modern life, that a growing majority of people, especially the younger ones, are becoming ignorant about the sacrifices of their families and their countries during WW2.

WW2 is almost ancient history to them, and unless they actively know of a family member or friend who served in the war, it's all just words in a history book.

The emphasis nowadays in school, is on other things, the environment (I applaud that), and modern politics and world events. That's fine, but, especially in those countries that were directly affected, I feel that some knowledge of WW2, which is still modern history, should be taught.

The other day, whilst reading about the end of the war, the thought occurred to me that, come the 100th anniversary of the beginning of WW2, in September 2039, how would it all be remembered??

I probably won't be around to see it (being in my mid forties) but you younger members of the Forum will be. The thought that the sacrifices and heroics of WW2 will be mostly forgotten and relegated to history, like other "ancient" wars, with little ceremony, saddens me, but I regret to say, is probably inevitable. I can only hope that those of you who are still around on the 100th anniversary of WW2, will raise a glass in rememberance for all those involved in this war.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

#14 panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 02:33 AM

I need to plan a trip to finland. Disrespect like that should not go unchecked. It is totally wrong. I'm sad that people my age don't care about ww2. I was talking to guy in my reenactment unit about how we are gonna be the last generation of reenactors to get to talk to ww2 veterans. It really hit me when we realized that. Alot of the fun about reenacting is talking to the vets. All the german vets I've met at reenactments love to talk to us. At my last evet we had a veteran from the 2nd SS "Das Reich" show up. He was quite funny, he went up to my friend and said," I see you wear your eagle on your breast, I wore mine on my sleeve." Then he playfully yelled at some guys in my unit for having their belts to high or having their heels pointing up well he tried to lay down. At another event I didn't even go to sleep one night because a man who was a pilot of a ju88 showed up and talked to us till the sun came up. Its gonna be alot harder to get people to apperciate ww2 when all the men who fought it are gone.

[ 01. January 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: panzergrenadiere ]
"Front leaning rest position"
"Move"
"In cadence, exercise....1, 2, 3" (My favorite thing to hear at 5 in the morning.)

#15 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:00 AM

[ 13. September 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users