• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

First, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a baseball fan. I find the game boring. The game has it's purposes, and in an earlier age, the game was a place for people to have a good time while fogetting their problems for a while. Which brings me to my rant.

On Sunday, the very last game was played at Yankee Stadium. Yankee Stadium is also known as "The House That Ruth Built", in reference to the legendary player Babe Ruth. In the past eighty five years, legendary players, from Ruth to Andy Petite, have played in this great monument to the game. Next year, the Yankees will move across the street, and....Yankee Stadium will be torn down.

How can you tear down such a historic place? Isn't there a law against this? From the viewpoint of an amateur history buff, this is disturbing. That being said, let me give you a disturbing thought.

The Yankees epitomize excellence in baseball. No team has won nearly as many World Series', let alone played in the World Series as many times. Among the advantages the Yankees had was a legendary curse against their main rivals-the Boston Red Sox. The curse was a result of the then Bo Sox owner selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees so that he could finance a play. It was said that the 86 years the Bo Sox didn't win the World Series was as a result of the curse. Suddenly, a few years ago the curse was broken. Can it be that the Yankees broke the curse themselves by planning to tear down the house that Ruth built?

Along the same line-the Dallas Cowboys are planning to move out of their Stadium. Like the Yankees, the Cowboys epitomize excellence. Legendary players have played in Cowboy Stadium. Players with names like Staubach, Emmitt Smith, and Troy Aikman, to name a few. If it weren't for an anti Cowboy bias among sportswriters, there would several dozen more Cowboys in the NFL Hall of Fame-they richly deserve the honor, but I digress.

Staubach was the Original "Captain Comeback" and games that he turned around with his perseverance and athletic skill are chronicled amongst the NFL's most memorable games, games that were played in Cowboy Stadium. The Cowboys didn't originate the Shotgun Offense, but they did ressurect it, and few have used it better than Staubach. The Cowboys had an offense called "The Double Pump" that was so effective that the NFL outlawed it. The use of a receiver with blinding speed was originated by the Cowboys with Olympic sprinter Bob Hayes. The Cowboys were the first to have an international radio network,and the use of satellite to broadcast a game was originated by the Cowboys-in Texas Stadium. Texas Stadium is a historic place, with a rich history of legendary players, legendary games, and a history of innovation. In a couple of years, when the new stadium is completed, the Cowboys will move out and Texas Stadium will likely be torn down.

It's just wrong.
  • dgmitchell likes this
Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make history.

#2 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

I like the connection between the Curse and Yankee Stadium. As a Red Sox fan, I am just glad the curse is broken!

#3 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

I have to agree with you, Lias_Co_Pilot. Unfortunately, everything now a days is driven by $$$. Yankee Stadium is "prime real estate", but I would have thought that NYC would have preserved it as a historical site. Same for Dallas.

The owners could have helped too in making sure those sites are preserved. But unless there is a hugh outcry from the fans the money men will do their work and "move on" with the destruction and rebuilding of condos or office buildings.:(

#4 von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

It is a shame, but it still is only bricks amd mortar (and a little steel thrown in).

v.R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users