Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Philippine Veterans Bank

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by mac_bolan00, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

this thread is meant purely for reader interest (if any.) i believe there is no reason to criticize this fine bank. i continue to bank with them and their service is excellent.

one day, i received a blind letter from said bank, inviting me to come for an interview and a possible employment with them. hell sure, i hear their package is better than most. so i went there in my best-foot-forward mode.

the basics went ok. i was better-than-qualified for the position i wanted. but then came the snag: do i have an ancestor (father, grandfather, g-grandfather) who fought during the second world war?

i had to wap-wap my memory there. our father passed away years ago and i never took his stories seriously. well, he was a teenager when ww2 ended. he didn't try to enlist with the guerillas. and besides, the USAFE is very strick in qualifying you and your guerilla unit whether or not it is recognized as one. his father was ill for the better part of the war. no chance there. on the other hand, our grandfather's brother emmigrated to the US in the 30s, enlisted in the US army after the fall of bataan, and actually fought here in the philippines during the liberation. he landed in lingayen gulf, luzon island.

on our mother's side, same thing. our gramps on that side was confined to the town limits and warned not to speak in public because he had studied in the US. a rather distant cousin of our mom's was a member of the philippine scouts and fought at bataan.

bottom line: "we'll call you. thanks for coming to see us."