Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Comm capabilities.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Jaeger, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

I've been re-reading a few books during the last 8 days.

I started out by re-reading Saul Davids "Churchills Sacrefice of the Highland Division France 1940." Companies lost their comms to bn. Hq and even to neighbouring coys. As a result they would fight on rather than move back with the rest of the bn. This leading to entire coys beeing overrun and captured.

The rigid "befhels tactic" that the british were using lead to a lot of coy commanders held their positions when they knew that they should have fallen back. But since no orders came through...

In the other end (bn hq) the commander was desperate to get his coys back to the next line. DR or runners were used but not all got through.

During the end of the war the picture is different. In Sir Martin Lindsays "So few got through" or Peter Whites "With the Jocks" the infantry seems to have better comms, even though both are not 100% pleased with them. A more famous example regarding comm issues is "Market Garden".

So my info request is as follows.

How was the comms distributed in the British army bn level and down?
    How did this change, and how was it compared to the US Army? I get the impression that the Americans had plenty.

Jaeger