47 replies to this topic

#1 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:41 AM

Yeah. I'm so happy I can finally watch my team in the series. First time since 93 (I was to young to really remember. They were there I know, but I didn't watch it, was to young). Heres the great part in my mind. No huge on field celebration. There is still work to do, and the team knows it.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#2 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

The Phillies are an appealing team. Cole Hamels has a lot of charisma and he has really come into his own this season. It will be a good WS. Still hoping my Sox get to past Tampa but it will be a tough road for them to win three in a row.

#3 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

I like Hamels alot. I was lucky enough to see him pitch in AAA in his only home start the last season the Phillies affiliate was based in Scranton. The Phillies are an exciting team. Boston has been in the hole before and still have about a fifty-fifty chance of advancing. Hamels deserved the NL Playoff MVP but honestly I would say Manny deserved it more despite losing. I was both glad and disappionted to see the Phillies not give much of a on field celebration. Four more wins to go.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#4 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,858 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Good for you, Mike. Was this unexpected at the start of the season?

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#5 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

Well everyone said it would be the Mets with Philly possibly making the wild card. They made the playoffs for the first time since 93 last year and got swept right out. They were still down in the division with three weeks left, and untill they went up in the NLCS 3-1 it was the Dodgers everyone said would win the NL. I for one did not expect it. Hamels is a great pitcher, but Moyer is old and Myers is just as likly to pitch a one hit shut out as he is giving up 10 runs in three innings. I just didn't think the pitching was there this season.

#6 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Hamels is young enough and strong enough to win three games in a 7 game Series. As long as Tampa does not win tonight, the Tampa pitchers will not be nearly as rested as the Phils pitching staff and Hamels will have had a full week off between starts. Manuel should pitch him in game 1, game 4 if the Phills are down 2-1 and game 7 if needed.

#7 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:59 AM

Woo hoo Go Phils , looks like its gonna be Boston to the slaughter :)

#8 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

Hi dg, The Phillies have set the rotation now for the series. Hamels will start game 1 (no suprise there) but do not plan on pitching him again until game 5. I thought for sure Boston would pull off the comeback again when they went up early last night. Have to give it to the Rays though. It is kinda nice to see a new team in the series. Plus I have to say, I think my Phillies can beat them easier than they could Boston, but then again the way they were hitting early in the ALCS......

#9 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi dg, The Phillies have set the rotation now for the series. Hamels will start game 1 (no suprise there) but do not plan on pitching him again until game 5. I thought for sure Boston would pull off the comeback again when they went up early last night. Have to give it to the Rays though. It is kinda nice to see a new team in the series. Plus I have to say, I think my Phillies can beat them easier than they could Boston, but then again the way they were hitting early in the ALCS......

I was dismayed to watch the Sox lose but I am impressed with the Rays. They have more poise than a young team usually has and their pitchers have been dominant.

I am also confused by the Phil's rotation. I can only hope that Hamels will get moved up a day to pitch in 1-4-7. Myers to Moyer to Blanton does not look like a WS winning rotation, but time will tell. Myers can be awesome when he pitches but he can be awesome in a good way or a bad way. Moyer was born during the Kennedy administration, as I recall, and that is really old to be pitching in October, even with his off speed repertoire. Nope -- Hamels needs to win 3.

Good luck to your Phils during the Series! I'll be a UN observer for this one, just looking for a good contest. Admittedly, I will enjoy watching either team win but I think it will warm my heart most to see the Rays take it in 7.

#10 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

I was dismayed to watch the Sox lose but I am impressed with the Rays. They have more poise than a young team usually has and their pitchers have been dominant.

I am also confused by the Phil's rotation. I can only hope that Hamels will get moved up a day to pitch in 1-4-7. Myers to Moyer to Blanton does not look like a WS winning rotation, but time will tell. Myers can be awesome when he pitches but he can be awesome in a good way or a bad way. Moyer was born during the Kennedy administration, as I recall, and that is really old to be pitching in October, even with his off speed repertoire. Nope -- Hamels needs to win 3.

Good luck to your Phils during the Series! I'll be a UN observer for this one, just looking for a good contest. Admittedly, I will enjoy watching either team win but I think it will warm my heart most to see the Rays take it in 7.

Thanks dg,

Warning Philadelphia fan optimism

Personally i think if the series goes seven games the Philly has a chance, but my prediction is that the Rays win in 6

#11 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

I am not so sure about that. The Phillies have a rock solid bullpen and the Rays pen has been questionable at times. The home field advantage will help the Rays but at the end of the day it is going to come down to the pitching. I give the Rays the edge with starting pitching and the Phils the edge in the Pen. The Phils will need to get on the Rays early in each game if they want to prevail.

#12 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Here is a thought. If Hamels wins game 1, why not switch Myers and Moyer. Myers bat has been hot this post season, so why not let him get the home start. When the Rays lose their DH the Phillies still have a hot bat in the 9 slot? Granted with Moyer’s age, I would want him pitching at home. If they go up in the series early, I think this makes more sense

#13 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Myers pitching at home is not a bad idea as long as Hamels can start game 7. I would hate to see Myers on the mound for a game 7 and that is where he lines up if he starts game 3. Moyer is a more consistent pitcher and he wants to pitch for another 5 years so he needs to stay consistent during this post season!

#14 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

I thought Boston too for sure , i think most phillie phans wanted Boston along with the rest of the world..barring Tampa.
Apparantly my womans son won 6 tickets for game 5 at citizens park before the phils even qualified, they had some kind of auction or lottery on spec.I asked what if the Phils dont go to the world series and i guess that would have been tough luck..but they did..jammy bugger

#15 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

I thought Boston too for sure , i think most phillie phans wanted Boston along with the rest of the world..barring Tampa.
Apparantly my womans son won 6 tickets for game 5 at citizens park before the phils even qualified, they had some kind of auction or lottery on spec.I asked what if the Phils dont go to the world series and i guess that would have been tough luck..but they did..jammy bugger

He is one lucky person. If you want a seat right now expect to pay 4-500 dollars. The cheapest tickets I found are standing room only for $340. I envy him. The atmosphere of that stadium is gonna be out of this world. It already was a month ago when they made the run to win the division.

#16 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Good luck tonight to Mike and all the Phillies phans wandering this forum!

Dare I ask whether there are any Rays fans among us?

#17 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Your right there Mike , if he fell in the river he'd come out with a fish in his pocket.
Some people have all the luck.

I cant believe some would stand for a baseball game,thats got to be several hours
Back in the UK all stadiums are seated only , no standing.In the old days there was standing and crowds of up to 140,000 attended some matches.
Thats football im talking about.
As Benjamin Franklin once said, "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#18 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

The Phillies did ok last night. Hamels wasn’t superb by a long shot but was still good enough to get the win. It started early with Utley hitting a huge 2 run home run in the 1st inning. Still got to pick up a little slack. 0 for 18 with RISP is not how your gonna win games. Still, took game 1 in Tampa which is all I was really hoping for. A win tonight will all but gaurentee how the series will end but I just wanted a split in Tampa before coming home for Saturday. What to do, what to do? The Phillies will play game 3 at the same time as Penn State plays Ohio st.

#19 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

What to do, what to do? The Phillies will play game 3 at the same time as PennState plays Ohio st.

1) Invest in a TV that offers split screen coverage;
2) Add a second cable/satellite line to your viewing room so that you can have two tv's operating at the same time;
3) Go to a sports bar;
4) Find a friend with option 1 or 2 above and go to his house;
5) Make sure your remote control lets you switch back and forth between channels during the commercials;
6) Watch the football game with the sound off and play ESPN radio's coverage of the baseball game in the background.
7) Record one of the games and stay up really late watching them back to back.

#20 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

"Personally i think if the series goes seven games the Philly has a chance, but my prediction is that the Rays win in 6"

Interesting prediction Mike , I cant see Phillies losing this series , they came back to this series rested and won game 1.They will only get better.
Mind you , much more of Howards antics and that could change.
Im gonna say Phillies in phive : )
As Benjamin Franklin once said, "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#21 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think Phillies in 6. They will lose tonight, take 2 in Philly and then close it out in game 6.

#22 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

Lose tonight ? Anythings possible in Baseball i suppose , Im thinking another Phils win tonight and maybe turn the heat up under the Rays enough to take game 3 but it will be too little too late , aint gonna stop the big red Train.
I hope Ryan Howard gets his act together , he's been a joke lately and a bad one at that.

#23 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

Ooops ..The big Red Train didnt even leave the station tonight..shocking

Your prediction is on track dgmitchell , unhappily so is Mikes

Disappointing show from the Phillies , Well done Tampa.

#24 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

There time off is showing. something like 1 for 21 with RISP in the first two games. They will at least make six games since Hamels will gain two wins, but after that I'm not so sure. It's not Just Howard. Rollins hasn't done much, they got no prductivity out of the DH slot, Burrel can't do nothing either. Last night the top 1,2,3 hitters went 1 for 14. Uh, wheres Santa? I need to start chuckin some snowballs at some one.

#25 James777

James777

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:40 AM

I guess we'll see Saturday whats gonna happen , the away win has to go down as a good job,expecting to win twice at Tampa might have been a bit ambitious.
Your right Mike , its not just Howard , but up until last night he was among the worst of the slackers.
I heard he likes to wait for the right pitch , ive lost count of the times ive seen him struck out without even swinging his bat...thats rubbish

Its in thier hands now,if Tampa can take either of these games then im a believer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users