Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Skipper's trench art collection.

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I thought I'd start a new thread just for my trench art collection both from WWII and WWI (sometimes it's hard to tell, besides WWI shell were use din WWII) . These are items I have acquired in France, in a zone rougly ranging from the Loire up to Normandy . They can come from flleemarkets, antique shops, garage sales and others.
    Most of these items were sold to impove soldiers daily life. Therefore the were scattered all ove rthe country by civilians who supported the war effort or veterans who brought them back after the war. They were used as decorations , vases and others and after the vets passed aways these items ended up on flle markets or in antique shops.

This one I got last Saturday in Orleans: it's a French 75mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the partially reversed text, that was crafted the wrong way and makes the items quite unique: whereas you can clearly read "vive RF" (Republique Francaise) you need to put it in front of a mirror to read "La Marne 1914"

sommecourt, dgmitchell and Halldin like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

reversed text "La Marne 1914"

Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. Halldin

Halldin Member

Didn't know at all that they made such things out of war material, thanks!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Got these at an antique depot in Normandy. among the junk , the flowers, an old ice cream vendor cart, furniture etc... I got these 75evers turned into two beautiful callices . I felt like I had found the Graal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I know but these are all from my personnal collection, not from elsewhere.:)

7. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

And I am quite envious of that!:) I just wanted to give our colleague a link to more examples, as he seemed interested, not to take anything away from your collection, Skipper. Although if I could take anything away from your collection to start my own collection, let me know! ;)

8. 272VGD.

272VGD. Member

I also have some ww1/ww2 trench art cartridges. You may have them if you like. And when you are arround again in Holland?

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi 272VGD! Long time no hear! I hope eveything is okay.
    I'll be in Holland withing a few months I think. Thanks for the offer. When I drive by I may stop for a coffee (or a beer if Mrs Skipper is driving) I'd love to make new additions and I would certainly like to see your collection that must be huge.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No problem, it's never to late to start a new collection :)

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Great stuff Skipper! I'm always amazed at what an artist can do with these war items! Absolutely beautiful!

Hey 272vgd! good to see you around here again!

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Another worked 75ever with Holy on one side (Christmas related?) and a double Lorraine cross on the other side. The curving is more clumsy and tends to shows this one was not crafted with tools but with a nail or a knive. I like it because it really reflects what a soldier did during his break time while still in the trenches. The more decorated ones were often crafted by skilled professionnals who got worked for officers behind the lines and had a roof, heating and all the tools they needed.
    notice the bump with also tends to show the guy picked what he found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also bought this one in Chartres

Kai-Petri likes this.
  13. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Skipper -- I am very much enjoying these photos. Can you tell us more about how you got into collecting trench art? How difficicult is it to find affordable pieces to add to your collection?

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well , I am happy enough to have a neighbour , who is also a friend and who is a militaria collector. He taught me a lot, about where to find what, how to recognize militaria amid a pile of junk, the value of such and such a thing, how to bargain. It's a matter of knowing where to look , when to go and thousands may pass the items without knowing what they are. There is also a dose of luck. I always have limits and will never go beyond a certain price for each item .

15. 272VGD.

272VGD. Member

Hello Skipper and Bigfun, I was very busy for a while (with the hobby offcourse).
    I'm selling many items in my collection because I'm only collect Luftwaffe material for now and medals/buckles, because thats my main interest en because I don't have enough space to display everything. But offcourse I don't sell any items that I dug up personally.
    Wel sorry for this offtopic message. Hope you guys are olso okay?!

Let me know when your arround Skip, beer and coffee are waiting for you...
    And maybe if you have the time we can dug up some relics!

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I have noticed the your hometown in my address book, but it will take several months beofre I go back to Holland. The Relic digging will have to wait , Mrs Skipper won't let me go that's for sure. If we ever want to do that together I would have to come alone. Back to the topic: I have another pair of shells to post today. They are quite exceptionnal because they are "twins" made by the same artist, but in fact one shell is French and the other one is a U.S. Remington. I forgot to add previously that these shells were often sold in pairs (see the two callice shapes shells for instance)

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello firends, here is more. I particulary like this pair of 75ers because at first sight they totally look alike and were even crafter by the same artist, but upon a closer look you can see that one is French and the other one is American UMC REMINGTON. They allow a very nice comparaison and leads me to the conclusion that both shells could be used in canons from both armies.

Also this is the information I have from a Vet. He told me part of the secret you need to know to make these pieces of artwork. You have to fill them with fine sand . This way when you use a nail to work the iron , you don't make dents and holes in the copper/brass. in fact you push evrything back except the model you want to design. I always thougt it was the opposite way. This means evry inch of the shell was worked , so it makes them even more exceptionnal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

a few items on the same picture

[​IMG]

Kruska likes this.
  19. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Skipper,

Wow - that is interesting, I have to admit that before seeing your thread I wasn't aware at all about this "Trench Art".

Regards
    Kruska

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

ok here's another one for you, it's not so common to see tropical birds used as a subject instead of the usual fauna themes. I particulary like this one, especially as it was a present.

[​IMG]