Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

27th Chemical Service Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by w8liftr, Nov 2, 2008.

1. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

I have a request in from the archives for information on my grandfather's unit history, the 27th Chemical Service Battalion. I have come up empty so far on the net. I have his discharge papers with a list of his battle and campaign service. Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland, Central Europe, GO 33, WD 45. I'm not familiar with the GO 33 or WD 45.

If anyone could help, I would be greatly thankful. Hopefully the information will come from the archives in a few days, but I would like to have more resources.

Thanks

Tommy

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Whew, that is a toughie, Tommy.

Found one page that reference Chemical Support Depots. Looks like they were the parent organization for Chemical Service Battalions. Not sure exactly what the Chemicial Service Battalions did, but I suspect they may stored, dispensed and guarded gas (phosgene, mustard, etc), as was used in WWI. But that is only a guess. I see them listed with Chemical Mortar Battalion that fired th 4.2in mortars, and were used to fire smoke and HE shells and would have been tasked to fire gas had their arisen a need.

Bear in mind, this only speculation on my part from what I found. I'll keep looking, but right now, supper is ready.

3. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

Thanks.

I found a few listings with a 4.2 Mortar Battalion. I think I remember him saying he provided smoke cover during one of the few times he told me about the war.

4. Slipdigit

I have a feeling we're going to have to wait until Terry G floats by to get this answer.

Chemical Service Battalions fell under Army Service Forces, as they are not in the OOB for the war I was digging through. See this page for a start Wiki page.

Here are some histories of Chemical Mortar Bns you can read through. Who knows, you might get lucky and one of them may mention the 27th Chem Serv Batt.

w8liftr likes this.
  5. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

Thanks for the links. Hopefully I'll get some information to cross reference information.

6. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

Could the unit also be recognized as the 27th Chemical Smoke Generator Battalion, also seen it as 27th Chemical Battalion?

The 450TH CHEMICAL BATTALION is a descendant of the above.

I wish the info I requested from the archive would get here.

7. Slipdigit

That I don't know, Tommy. Could be, or one could be a precursor of the other.

8. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

I received a letter from the Archive today regarding the information I requested about the 27th Chemical Service Battalion. The documents have been pulled for preservation and I have to submit another request in 3 months. Good news is there is information on the Battalion, just have to wait.

9. Slipdigit

Good, please keep informed of your successes.

10. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

Yes sir.

Thanks

Tommy

11. w8liftr

w8liftr Member

I found some information. I posted in another thread to help, and figured I'd post it here, too.

The GO stands for General Order and WD 45 is War Department 1945. So GO 33 WD 45 means General Order #33 issued by War Department 1945.

I still haven't found the meaning of the GO #'s, but I'm still searching.