Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Does anybody recognise these photo's

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by tmelport1979, Nov 12, 2008.

1. tmelport1979

tmelport1979 Member

I have attached a few of the photo's i have from my Grandfather's time in the RAF, im hoping somebody may recognise something or somebody and give me more of an idea about what he did.
    I have alot of photo's and am interested to know what stories they may tell.

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello I do not recognize people on the picture , but some make me think of North Africa (or possibly west Africa) based unit . have you read the book "An airman at El Alamein: the RAF's western Desert Airforce in 1942"? It might have some interesting details.

The plane makes me think of reconnaissance, or a weather unit (is it a Lysander?)

3. tmelport1979

tmelport1979 Member

I have no idea, i was hoping somebody else might know. I have photo's of a few planes one i can just make out the writting on which looks like The Cape Codder. Im going to have to get a magnifying glass to make out the rest of them. Some of the pictures have a reference to Africa written on the back.

4. redcoat

redcoat Ace

The aircraft in the picture with the men in front of it is a Gloster Gladiator, and the aircraft in the background is a Lockheed Hudson.
    The Gloster Gladiator was a biplane fighter which had given useful service in North and East Africa in the early years of the war, but by 1942 had been relegated to second line duties, and one of these was in meteorological units.
    This fits in with the title under the photo 'MeterorologicalcommunicationjetwaterlooWestAfrica 1942'
    Using my limited powers of deduction. It would seem that the photo is of a RAF meteorological unit based at RAF Waterloo, Sierra Leone, in West Africa during 1942. :)

ps, The Lockheed Hudson in the background could either be a communications and transport aircraft, or an aircraft from No 200 Squadron which was tasked with convoy protection along this part of West Africa, without a view of the full aircraft its difficult to tell :(

5. Owen

Owen O

If you want to know where and what your Grandad did in the RAF apply for his Service Records.
    Service records - RAF

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good one Recoat. I didn't realize it was a gladiator because the men were sitting on the wing, but it is a biplan. So west Africa would be Sierra Leone. That would make sense.

More about the brick buildings . It mentions Colerne (near Bath) which is a 1940 built airfield.

[​IMG] NETTLEDEN - RAF Colerne, Wiltshire

7. tmelport1979

tmelport1979 Member

Thanks for all your reply's. I have sent off for his service records and also my grandmothers record as they both served during the war. I only have service numbers until i get the paperwork back so just thought i'd throw a few photo's at you all.