Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

can anyone helo me identify this cap badge please

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by mark31385, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mark31385

mark31385 recruit

Hi there,

This is my first post. I am wondering if someone could help to identify my grandads cap badge.

He recently passed away and didn't talk about the war too much. I came accross this picture and am curious as to what regiment he was in or of anyone could shed some light on his cap badge.

From what i remember he had to leave his home country Yugoslavia and was in a german camp for a while, i then remember him saying that he was let out or free'ed from the camp where he then went on to fight in Italy with the british army so he was with the british army for quite a few years. Anyway the pic is attached and i appreciate any information.

Attached Files:

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

It is the patch version of the Serbian Cap Badge. When you zoom in, you can see the two eagle heads and the crown.

Another version

[​IMG]

3. mark31385

mark31385 recruit

Hi thats fantastic, i have looked so hard on the internet for anything that resembeled the outlone of the badge on his hat, are you able to provide any information on what he might have done

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Difficult to say. Serbia was a pro-facist supporter so your grandfather was the exception. There was also staunch pro-facist croatians but Tito's partisans were mostly Croatians. If they were not fighting the communist partisans, the Pro-Axis Croats fought against the Pro-Axis Serbs. A fight that still goes on til today

5. mark31385

mark31385 recruit

Thankyou, yes you can see the eagles heads on the badge when zoomed in and the outline matches it pertfectly.

The information that i know of, is that he had to leave his home town Bencovac in Yugoslavia, he was then traveling around europe where he joined with the british army and thought in the war in Italy. After the war ended he was in a Displaced persons camp in Salzgitter.

After this he came to Fareham (hampshire) England in 1947, where he got moved to Scotland, then he move to Yorkshire.

Anyway i have attached a picture of his registration card if it helps at all?

Attached Files:

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I was trying to look up if the British Army had a Serbian contingent but no luck. Perhaps you can also make a post on the www.ww2talk.com website. Most of the members there are British.

7. Vojvoda

Vojvoda recruit

:eek: Serbia was pro-facist ?! God, i,just, canĀ“t belive !
    Belgrade was bombarded ,by Germans, on april the 6. 1941 not Zagreb ... Bombing of Belgrade in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tito's partisans were mostly Serbs. Croatians were known as germans allied .
    Independent State of Croatia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia