• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Alan

Nathan Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hey guys. I recently picked up my first militaria purchase - an old M-1 helmet, complete and in near mint condition. I'm interested in learning more about it and perhaps dating it to a specific year (if that's possible). Are there any good websites that demonstrate the various things to look for with photos? I've seen some nice charts(like this one: Dating the M1 Steel Helmet) but I'm not familiar with all of the terminology and I haven't been able to figure any of it out.

I could always take some pictures myself for you guys if you can tell me what things I should be taking pictures of.

On another note, there's also a name on the inside of the liner - but it's very faint and difficult to read. The seller didn't even mention it so I assume he missed it (it wouldn't be a hard thing to miss as I didn't catch it at first either).

Any help would be great.

-Nathan

Grandson of WWII Veteran L. Lee Lawrence

April 4, 1921 - October 1, 2004

#2 jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44

Battlefield wanderer

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationCheshire, England

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

On the inside of the steel pot (the brow section) are there any markings or symbols, and is it front or rear seamed?
Regards
John

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#3 Nathan Alan

Nathan Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

On the inside of the steel pot (the brow section) are there any markings or symbols

From what I can make out inside the steel pot, I can see an "8" and a "0" (there may or may not be a number before that - if there is, it's been mostly rubbed away), and below that there is an "S"...

Also, inside the liner, at the very top, there is a small "S" inside a circle.

and is it front or rear seamed?

How do I tell the difference? Anyone have a side-by-side comparison between a front seam and a rear seam?

-Nathan

#4 jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44

Battlefield wanderer

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

How do I tell the difference? Anyone have a side-by-side comparison between a front seam and a rear seam?

Around the rim of the steel pot is a piece of stainless steel 'beading'. The ends of this beading should either meet at the back of the helmet or at the front.

A front seamed helmet
Posted Image
Regards
John

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#5 Nathan Alan

Nathan Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Okay, I gotcha. Mine would be a front seam helmet then.

#6 jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44

Battlefield wanderer

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

It sounds like you have a nice WW2 era helmet. The letter 'S' would indicate that it was manufactured by Schlueter Manufacturing of St. Louis in Missouri.

The company began producing the M1 helmet in January 1943, so that indicates your helmet was produced sometime in the latter part of WW2.

The numbers 8 and 0 are heat temperature marks. These were used to track the helmets during production in case a defect arose.

Schlueters made around 2.000.000 helmets in total.

Any chance you can post a picture of the helmet?
  • Skipper and Nathan Alan like this
Regards
John

#7 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 22,193 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

Quite useful John , I'm learning here, my M1 has the ends meeting at the front. It has some markings on the front inside but hard to read. However the liner has a shield with three circles inside it and there is a sword behind the shield.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#8 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 22,193 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:31 AM

here are a few pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#9 jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44

Battlefield wanderer

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

Skipper, that is a very nice swivel bale M1 you have. I haven't a clue about the painted insignia on the liner. My dad has an M1 with remnants of decals on the sides of the liner, which again, I can't identify?

I'll post some pictures of the decals in the coming days.
Regards
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users