Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Diana Mosley dies in Paris

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Diana Mosley, Hitler's angel, dies unrepentant in Paris

Paris
    Wednesday August 13, 2003

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1017750,00.html

Diana Mosley, widow of Britain's pre-war fascist party leader Sir Oswald Mosley and one of the notorious Mitford sisters, has died in her Paris apartment at the age of 93.

Lady Mosley, who spent much of the second world war in prison in Britain, died peacefully on Monday in the city where she had lived for over half a century, according to a death notice published today in the Times.

Despite unabating criticism of her fascist sympathies, she never apologised for her fascination with Adolf Hitler, who attended her secret wedding to Sir Oswald, held at Joseph Goebbels' Berlin home in 1936.

"They'll go on persecuting me until I say Hitler was ghastly," she said in a recent interview. "Well, what's the point in saying that? We all know that he was a monster, that he was very cruel and did terrible things. But that doesn't alter the fact that he was obviously an interesting figure.

"It was fascinating for me, at 24, to sit and talk with him, to ask him questions and get answers, even if they weren't true ones. No torture on earth would get me to say anything different."

The Mosleys moved to France in the 1950s, where they were well known for their entertaining. Sir Oswald died in 1980 and as a widow, Diana Mosley remained in Paris to continue her husband's work.

2. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Wow this woman is a very interesting character. I don't know about her. [​IMG] :confused:

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It seems to me I have heard something about this woman. Something about actually being a penpal with Hitler for quite a few years? or something like that.

I agree--whe must have been a bit touched but, if she kept all correspondance with The Fuhrer, then (and I doubt they had a lack of money) this stuff is worth a fortune.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Here´s something of her sister

Unity Mitford

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WRmitfordU.htm

Jessica Mitford wrote about her sister Unity Mitford in her autobiography, Hons and Rebels (1960)

It was the year of Hitler's accession to power. Unity announced her intention was to go to Germany, learn German, and meet the Führer. My parents put up much less opposition than might have been expected. Perhaps the thought of another London season of sham tiaras and tame rats let loose in ballrooms was a bit more than my mother could contemplate with any pleasure. Unity was allowed to go.

Within six months, she came home for a brief visit, having accomplished both her objectives. She already spoke fairly fluent German, and had met not only Hitler, but Himmler, Goering, Goebbels, and others of the Nazi leaders. "How on earth did you actually manage to get to know them?" we asked in some amazement. Unity explained that it had been fairly simple; she had reserved a nightly table in the Osteria Bavaria restaurant, where they often went. Evening after evening she sat and stared at them, until finally a flunkey was sent over to find out who she was. On learning that she was an admirer of the Nazis, and a member of the British Union of Fascists Hitler invited her to join them at their table. Thereafter she became one of their circle, saw them constantly in Munich, accompanied them to meetings, rallies, the Olympic Games.

She was completely and utterly sold on them. The Nazi salute - "Heil Hitler!" with hand upraised - became her standard greeting to everyone, family, friends, the astonished postmistress in Swinbrook village. Her collection of Nazi trophies and paraphernalia now overflowed our little sitting-room - bundles of Stretcher's anti-Semitic paper, Der Stürmer; an autographed copy of Mein Kampf; the works of Houston Stuart Chamberlain, a nineteenth-century forerunner of Fascist ideologists; albums of photographs of Nazi leaders.

http://globalfire.tv/nj/03en/history/mitford.htm

[​IMG]

Unity and Diana Mitford

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/decca/sisters.html

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Strange first name she has. It's no wonder that they were all a very wierd family. :rolleyes:

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Interesting family, well sort of..

[​IMG]

Unity with Hitler

http://www.wellesley.edu/WomensReview/archive/2002/03/highlt.html

When Britain declared war on Germany in September of 1939, a distraught Mitford sent a farewell letter to Hitler and shot herself in the head.
    She spent the rest of her life on the island of Inchkenneth. Doctors had decided it was too dangerous to remove the bullet, and she eventually died of meningitis caused by the cerebral swelling around the lodged bullet (?)

7. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Geez, could these ladies pick a worse life? You are a "penpal" with Hitler and you try to live a normal life. I kind of feel bad for them, but they did respect Hitler, nope definetly take that statement back. Were they German or another country from Europe? :confused:

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Actually British, if that´s what you ask?

Diana Mitford, married Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists, in 1936. Their father was Lord Redesdale, David Bertram Ogilvy Freeman-Mitford.If I got it right.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SSredesdale.htm