Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Adolf Hitler's maid says Nazi was 'charming'

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by AmonMauser, Dec 4, 2008.

1. AmonMauser

AmonMauser Dishonorably Discharged

Adolf Hitler's maid says Nazi was 'charming' to work for - Telegraph

Adolf Hitler's maid says Nazi was 'charming' to work for

Adolf Hitler's former maid has broken her silence on the man responsible for the Holocaust, calling him "charming" and "a great boss".

Last Updated: 6:13AM GMT 04 Dec 2008

Rosa Mitterer, 91, worked as a maid for Hitler at his mountain retreat in Bavaria in the 1930s.
    Until now, she has kept quiet about her experiences of life with the Nazi dicator, but Mitterer decided it was time to speak out, the Daily Mail reports.
    "He was a charming man, someone who was only ever nice to me, a great boss to work for. You can say what you like, but he was a good man to us," she said.
    Mitterer went into Hitler's service at the age of 15 in 1932. Her sister Anni had worked as a cook at Hitler's Berchtesgaden retreat since the late 1920s.
    "She said he needed a housemaid and I would fit the bill," she said. "I remember so clearly the first day I spoke to him in the kitchen. I said I was Anni's sister and that made him smile, because Anni was his favourite. I only ever knew Hitler as a kindly man who was good to me."
    Remembering her first direct request from Hitler, she said she was drying some porcelain cups when he came down the stairs.
    "Sorry to trouble you, but could you make me some coffee and bring some gingerbread biscuits to my study?" he said.
    Part of her duties involved sorting out the fan letters and presents that were delivered in their thousands to the house.
    "There were cigars, jars of jam, flowers, pictures," she said. "We gave most of them away to poorer peasant families nearby on Hitler's orders."
    Mitterer also met Eva Braun, Hitler's misstress.
    "She was not so pretty close up," she said.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Interesting post, thanx.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Those were during the pre-war years so I'm sure he was a good boss. Now, talk to someone who worked for him during the war years....like Keitel. Oops. he's dead. Then again, good ole Adolf was the ladie's man. He just couldn't follow through

4. marc780

marc780 Member

If i had to work for Hitler or someone like Leona Helmsley, who would i choose..hmm.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Before or during the war itself, it seems Hitler treated females who worked for him with great deference, polite speech, and seeming concern and interest. Such is the story related by Gertrude Hump who began serving with Hitler in Nov./Dec., of 1942 (later "Traudal" Junge). She was convinced that Hitler basically had two separate personalities, of which she and all the "ladies" of his close circle -- his mistress Eva Braun (for just 24 hours at the end his wife), his four secretaries, the wife of his personal physician (Annie Brandt), his favourite military aide (Maria von Below) and Albert Speer's wife Margret -- saw only the human, often charming side.

"We never saw him as the statesman; we didn't attend any of his conferences. We were summoned only when he wanted to dictate and he was as considerate then as he was in private. And our office, both in the Reichschancellery and in the bunkers, was so far removed from his command quarters that we never saw or even heard any of his rages that we heard whispers about. We knew his timetable, whom he received, but except for the few men he sometimes had to meals we attended, such as Speer, the other architect, [Hermann] Giesler, or his photographer, [Heinrich] Hoffmann, we rarely saw any of them."

[after Stalingrad the two older secretaries shared Hitler's lunch, the younger ones his supper and one was always detailed to host the post-midnight tea]

"My colleagues told me that in the earlier years he talked incessantly, about the past and the future, but after Stalingrad, well, I don't remember many monologues. We all tried to distract him, with talk about films, or gossip, anything that would take his mind off the war. He loved gossip. That was part of that other side of him, which was basically the only one we saw."
    And she recalls the first dictation she took from him, the test that was to decide her future, at the"Wolfsschanze", his East Prussian field HQ, in December 1942.

"Later I realised what a dreadful time that was for him, just before Stalingrad. But you wouldn't have guessed it: the only thing he seemed to have on his mind was to make me comfortable and reassure me." Hitler hated heat, she says. "His working quarters were kept at 11 degrees (C) and, imagine, he had them bring in a heater for me." (Three years later, in the Berlin bunker, hours before his suicide, she would have a similar experience.

"'How are you, my dear?' he asked me. 'Have you had a bit of rest? I want to dictate to you. Do you think you are up to it?'." She realized what he wanted to dictate only when he said the title; "My Testament".

His voice when dictating -- always straight into the machine, she says -- was usually quiet but, at times, when working on speeches, it would suddenly became raucous, his gestures studiedly expansive.

"It happened from one moment to the next, and he was clearly acting, rehearsing, performing." This "performance" would include the use of awful words that he never used in private. "His speeches all had these words in them [about the Jews and the Slavs] and I now know that one simply got used to them, didn't really hear them, blocked them. And an instant later, he would be quiet again, professorial with his steel-rimmed glasses."

That section is from the denier and revisonist site subtely sponsered by David Irving’s IHR, but is the only online section in which I could find from Gitta Sereny’s interview with Junge.

Gitta Sereny's belated interview of Traudl Junge

That doesn’t make this part of the interview any less true just because it is from that snake Irving's page, since I also watched it on the History International Channel right after Junge’s demise. I also enjoyed Sereny’s book on Speer as well.

6. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Also, she was 15, she was probably somewhat "taken" with the man. But I'm not surprised, I have always heard that he was very respectful towards women. Unless of course, you were a Jewish woman, Dutch woman, Polish woman, Russian woman..................................

Za Rodinu likes this.
  7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Hitler was a "good guy"? This 105 year old just can’t keep himself away from controversy can he? I especially liked he line in the article which includes "I know, doll," Heesters responded. "But he was nice to me." After his wife had corrected him about that statement.

See:

105-year-old singer who performed in Nazi Germany says Hitler was a 'good guy' -- Newsday.com

Seems it wasn't just young girls (15), or his female employees who felt this way about the guy. This guy is 105 now, but he wasn't a kid when he met Hitler.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

the old woman has nothing to loose at her age and maybe she wants to "upset" people and the media with a bit of provocation, it's "funnier" than feeding her goldfish while waiting for potential visitors in her retirement home

9. Vet

Vet Dishonorably Discharged

This is the way Hitler appeared to be in the movie Downfall. He seemed to respect women much more than men.

10. Sgtleo

Sgtleo WWII Veteran

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This man was also thought to be quite a ladies man before he
    volunteered to serve in the camps and became know as
    "The Doctor of Death". His interest towards women changed
    there to other aspects of his training.

Mengele was born in 1911, in the village of Gunzburg in Germany's Bavarian region. He was the eldest of three children, and the son of a successful but distant factory owner and a strict Catholic matriarchal mother. Although he was never top of his classes, young Josef was a bright, handsome and charismatic youngster who matured into a self-confident, charming and articulate man, much sought-after by the
    women of Gunzburg.

Sgtleo [​IMG]