10 replies to this topic

#1 funkyskunky5

funkyskunky5

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

hello, my name is alex kling and i am new here. I am currently writing a screenplay about the italian campaign. I have plenty of books and information but i want to get a good feel on movies about italy. Do any of you know a good movie about italy or perferably Monte Cassino. Thank you, i appreciate anything you guys can dig up.

#2 sommecourt

sommecourt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

You don't say what angle your screenplay is taking, or who it covers... American, German, Commonwealth? All of them? Ground or air?

There is very little in terms of screenplay treatment for Italy; the BBC did a docu-drama about Cassino a few years ago, and the only recent film was a French one about Colonial troops. The only US movies that come to mind is 'Anzio' (which my father having fought there was convinced he hadn't after seeing this film) and 'A Walk In The Sun' which is about a US platoon. However, it is a little dated.
Paul Reed
Battlefields of WW2- www.ww2battlefields.com

#3 funkyskunky5

funkyskunky5

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

im basically doing it on the battles for Monte Cassino so it will cover every country that was involved. The kind of movie i am going for is band of brothers mixed with letters from iwo jima. I want to make it historically correct but with that holywood flare that they put on movies. I have a lot of ideas about where i want to take this screenplay of mine i just want a few examples. The idea just poped in my head a week ago while i was watching Battlefields: the battle for italy on the military channel, it just hit me that it would make a good movie so why not write one? Im sure its not going to be anything special but if it is my dream is to get Clint Eastwood to produce and direct it.

Edited by funkyskunky5, 17 December 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#4 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

I just did a google search, here you go:
battle for monte cassino film - Google Search
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#5 sommecourt

sommecourt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

im basically doing it on the battles for Monte Cassino so it will cover every country that was involved. The kind of movie i am going for is band of brothers mixed with letters from iwo jima. I want to make it historically correct but with that holywood flare that they put on movies. I have a lot of ideas about where i want to take this screenplay of mine i just want a few examples. The idea just poped in my head a week ago while i was watching Battlefields: the battle for italy on the military channel, it just hit me that it would make a good movie so why not write one? Im sure its not going to be anything special but if it is my dream is to get Clint Eastwood to produce and direct it.

Are you a professional screenplay writer or is this your first effort?
Paul Reed

#6 funkyskunky5

funkyskunky5

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

i mean im only 20 years old, its my first screenplay its just a project of mine before i go into the military in february. If i can actually make something out of this im gonna presue it and join up later. I think i got a pretty good feel of the four battles, thats all ive been doing for a week is reading and watching old reels about Monte Cassino. Im big into war history i can't get enough of it so i have bacially become obsessed with this screenplay. I have a couple ideas for the name "bloody cassino" and "lions led by donkeys." Any other ideas?

Theres this one WW2 movie ive seen a long time ago which im trying to find and i can only remember one part. A squad of americans are out and about in italy and come across a little boy with his dead mom being carried in a cart by a donkey and they need him to show em where german positions are...does anybody know what movie im talking about?

#7 krieg

krieg

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

One film comes to mind but this film is about the Ostfrunt in russia
called .. Attack And Retreat .. if this is any good to you
Krieg
for thow . will be ours someday.we shall have it all
.:ww1ace:.. und mear...:snoopy:....

#8 sommecourt

sommecourt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

i mean im only 20 years old, its my first screenplay its just a project of mine before i go into the military in february. If i can actually make something out of this im gonna presue it and join up later. I think i got a pretty good feel of the four battles, thats all ive been doing for a week is reading and watching old reels about Monte Cassino. Im big into war history i can't get enough of it so i have bacially become obsessed with this screenplay. I have a couple ideas for the name "bloody cassino" and "lions led by donkeys." Any other ideas?

Theres this one WW2 movie ive seen a long time ago which im trying to find and i can only remember one part. A squad of americans are out and about in italy and come across a little boy with his dead mom being carried in a cart by a donkey and they need him to show em where german positions are...does anybody know what movie im talking about?

Ok, good luck with your project.
Paul Reed

#9 Richie B

Richie B

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

The Big Red One - directed by Sam Fuller and starring Lee Marvin.

There is also this film about WW2 in Italy

Paisà (1946)

Good luck with the script.

Richie

#10 ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

The Big Red One

Great flick....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

good luck with the screenplay and hopefully it will be made into a successful film
at the end of the night i wont be reaching for the brass ring i'll be reaching for your wwe championship
jeff hardy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users