31 replies to this topic

#1 JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Something I read from another friend on THC :).

21 Dec, 1944
The German merchant Weichselland (3654 GRT, former Latvian Gundega), the German auxiliary submarine chasers UJ 1113/KUJ 7 (970 GRT), UJ 1116/KUJ 11 970 GRT), UJ 1702/KUJ 16 (970 GRT) and the small German minesweeper R 402 (140 tons) sink off Feiestein-Rinne, Norway in position 58º51'N, 05º30'E after hitting mines laid by the Free French submarine Rubis on 19 December 1944.
(Rubis, a mine-laying sub, had been captured from the Vichy French by the British and turned over to the Free French. The sinking of at least 25 vessels were attributed to the Rubis, mostly by mines.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman.

#2 Jan7

Jan7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

If you wish know more of this "sous marin" go to these links:

épave du Rubis
Posted Image
sous-marin rubis - Starmedia PAN

Jan.
La llave de la libertad es la sabiduria. El cerrojo de la esclavitud la ignorancia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
U-Historia, Ubootwaffe 1939-1945 History of UBootwaffe in Spanish
http://www.forospyware.com In Spanish

#3 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

the wreckage :

Posted Image
http://www.canyousea...10988200913.jpg

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#4 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

Back to DUNDEE Scotland after a patrol

Posted Image

Le sous marin mouilleur de mines "RUBIS" des FNFL (Ch. 1) - Section RUBIS

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#5 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hello. How lovely to see the photo of the Rubis's crew on World War II Forums! My father, André Vallois, former Petty Officer Mechanic, served on the Rubis from 1939 until his demobilisation in 1945 and participated in all 28 of the submarine's missions during WWII. He has been living in Scotland since 1947, will soon be 91 years old and is still in good health. He can be seen on the photo holding Bacchus, the submarine's mascot. Best wishes. Linda Larkin (née Vallois)

#6 Jan7

Jan7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

Welcome, Linda to WW2F:)!

Is anyone of the men in the photo :rolleyes:?

Jan.
La llave de la libertad es la sabiduria. El cerrojo de la esclavitud la ignorancia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
U-Historia, Ubootwaffe 1939-1945 History of UBootwaffe in Spanish
http://www.forospyware.com In Spanish

#7 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hello Jan. Yes, my father is the man holding the submarine's mascot dog, Bacchus. Linda

#8 Jan7

Jan7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

Many thanks, Linda!

Print the photo and following, show it at your beloved father. Perhaps he identify at the members of the crew.....:cool:

Jan.

#9 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

OK Jan. I'll ask him and let you know the names, hopefully of most of them. Best regards. Linda

#10 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hello again, Jan

As promised, I've asked my father if he can remember the crew members' names and he has remembered the following:-

Standing Left to Right: Menez, Louboutin, ?, ?, ?, Gaillard, Latour, Leguerec, Windels, Besq, ?, Leborgne, Geoffray (white jumper), ?, Riss, ?, Guillomard, Descormes, Baivier (white jumper), Banquaert.

Kneeling: Sanz, Vallois (with Bacchus) , Vozy.

Best wishes.

Linda
  • Skipper and Jan7 like this

#11 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hello Linda, t's been a real privilege to have your father identify these brave sailors, thank you very much for your contribution!

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#12 Jan7

Jan7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hello, Linda!

Thanks for contribution!

This is another piece of the History of this submersible:rolleyes:. I'm sure!

Jan.

#13 kirstmac

kirstmac

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

hello linda. my grandad was also on the Rubis his name was Paul Helie, i cant' see him in the picture. i was interested to see the photo after learning that there is to be a monument placed at victoria docks in dundee. im hoping to be able to go along as i know how proud my grandad was of his time on the Rubis and i was always eager to hear his stories so i will be a proud representative for him.

#14 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hello Kirsty. Many thanks for your message, and apologies for taking so long to reply! I hope you enjoyed the memorial event on 17 September. I was there too, with my Dad, and thoroughly enjoyed the day. It's lovely to hear from you, as I know my Dad was very friendly with your Grandad. In fact, someone at the event told my Dad that Paul Helie's granddaughter was going to try to speak to him but, unfortunatley, my Dad and I had to leave without managing to meet you. Would it be possible for you to let me have your e-mail address so that we can chat further? It would be lovely if my Dad and I could meet up with you sometime. All best wishes. Linda

#15 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Great to hear you eventually "met" each other through this thread. This is thrilling!

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#16 USMC

USMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

Very cool. Linda, I thank you and your father for sharing this information with us. People like your father are the unsung heroes who were never recognized for their actions during WWII.

#17 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hello USMC. Thank you for your kind message, which I'll pass on to my Dad. It's lovely to know that his and his fellow crew members' efforts are still appreciated 70 years on! All best wishes. Linda

#18 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi Linda, Happy New year to you and to your dad! I recently found out the Rubis Veteran association made their own wine bottles with the Rubis printed on the label. One of my friends has one in his collection.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#19 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hello Skipper

Happy New Year to you too, and I hope you're well. Thanks for letting me know about the Rubis wine bottle. I didn't know that existed, and I didn't even know there existed a Rubis Veterans' Association! Maybe your friend could advise how my Dad could join the Association? Thanks in advance.

Linda

#20 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hi Linda I have some news for you. Actually the Association is for another Rubis submarine that was named after the first one as a tribute , and so is the wine bottle. I was actually offered such a bottle by a friend and it is now displayed in my collection . I wil ltake a picture of it and post it here for you later.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#21 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi Skipper

Many thanks. Looking forward to seeing the picture, and good luck with your collection.

Linda

#22 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

as promised here is my wine bottle of the (second) Rubis. It's a Christmas present from a friend.

Posted Image

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#23 LindaL

LindaL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

That's brilliant, Skipper. Many thanks for posting the photo. As you say, it must be for the 'new' Rubis rather than the WWII one. I'll show it to my Dad, who'll be pleased to see it. It's nice to see that the new Rubis's crest still displays the Cross of Lorraine as a tribute to the 'old' one! All best wishes. Linda

#24 jonmarsh

jonmarsh

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Hi Linda. I was very happy to find this forum and read about your father. My father, Frank Marsh, was the British Liaison Officer on Rubis from 1943 to 1945. I am hoping you dad is still alive as it is two years since your last post. Please ask him if he remembers my dad. Our family emigrated to Australia in 1962 and my dad died in 1987. He often told us stories about his time on Rubis. Do you have any details of the Rubis Veterans Association? I believe a memorial has been erected at Dundee Harbour to commemorate the Rubis.
Cheers....Jon Marsh
  • urqh likes this

#25 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,822 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hi John , I hope Linda will read this. Yes, there is a Rubis Memorial at Dundee and if I remember correctly Linda attended the commemoration ceremony there in 2009.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users