Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Silver Bracelet found in Belgium - Need Help

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by thesys1er, Dec 23, 2008.

1. thesys1er

thesys1er Member

It's better in this section... :eek: :)

English
    First lecon
    Exercice 1

:D:D:D

HEllo all

Here is a personnal silver bracelet found last year in a forest not far from german border. This one was just under the ground. In this area, i've found some objets... a british made US whistle, a mirror, a silver lieutnan insigna, somes coins (french, US, german and belgian) and a piece of "gilette" razor... This positions weren't front positions. I think it was a bivouac of rest...
    There wasn't foxeholes... only just four big holes... certainly bins !! I have to go there once again to check...

Among these objets, there is this famous bracelet...

Andrew J. Barfield ASN: 34704083

Behing this one : "all my love" PAT

After check this ASN on the NARA-Aad website, i collected this following informations :

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=1&cat=TS14&tf=F&q=34704083& bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=5088741

We were able to find an Andrew J. Barfield in the 4th Infantry Division rooster... no more détail !!! Some elements of this division participated in the fight in Aachen in September/october 1944 and on german border more in the south during the "offensive" in december...

There were not a lot of men of this division in the area where the find was made.

I would know the most about this soldier... find a picture and restitute this bracelet to his family if it's possible...

Thank you for your patience... :eek: :D

Thank you for all

Yannick

Attached Files:

2. thesys1er

thesys1er Member

3. thesys1er

thesys1er Member

NEW INFORMATIONS

Andrew J. Barfield was born 8th mai 1923 in State of Alabama and passed away the 3rd may 2002 in florida, Semiole County.

Adress : (Altamonte, Altamonte Springs, Forest City) 32714
    May be an old people's home??

His security social number is 253-28-0332.

Thanks and regards.

Yannick from Belgium

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

We have quite a few members from Alabama , including Slipdigit. Maybe someone knows a veteran association there that has either an orbituary with relative names or, information for the next of kin.

There is a Winston Barfield in Wadley which is not far away. you will find his number on the white pages site. He might be related you never know.

5. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Ghost of War works in Altamonte Springs, I think. You might want to send him a PM to see if he can track any leads there.

6. thesys1er

thesys1er Member

Thank you, i do that... ;)

I've found this :

Andrew "J"ackson Barfield had two childrens.

Oneda D. Barfield (58years old) and William E. Barfield (55yo)...

From White pages here are the county where William lived.

Sanford, FL
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Apopka, FL
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Lake Mary, FL
    Maitland, FL
    Orlando, FL
    Longwood, FL
    Brandon, FL
    Seffner, FL

... the county where Oneda Lived.

Daytona Beach, FL
    Apopka, FL
    Sanford, FL
    Lake Mary, FL
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Orlando, FL
    Seffner, FL
    Longwood, FL
    Brandon, FL

I don't know which one are still ethey homeliving... :confused:

Thank you for your interest... :) and... I Wish you a marry Christmas... :)

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'd focuss on AL rather than FL . Florida is the place were people move when they retire.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yesterday, I posted some requests in genealogy forums for Randolph County. If we get any hits from that, it will be after Christmas.

Wadley is in Randolph County. Might be worth making a phone call if I can get the number. If you have it Yannick, PM to me. Please don't post it in the fourm.

9. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Good luck in your search! This should prove interesting!

10. bigun6605

bigun6605 Member

thesys1er....

I have had a similar search like this before. I helped a woman find her long-lost brother becasue she had his SSN. A check of the SS web site showed they would send an un-opened letter from her to him. The cover letter was from Social Security and stated he did not have to respond. However he called her the night he got it.

Check the SS web and see if they can help. It worked when the woman was searching for her brother, I am not sure about a braclet from a non-relative looking for either son. Hope this helps.

Al Cagle

11. Joe in Bessemer

Joe in Bessemer recruit

I spoke with a relative of Andrew Barfield yesterday who told me he had just got off the phone with Barfiled's wife in Florida, and she said the bracelet is on its way to her. I've tried to reach Yannick to confirm, but have not been able to. When I get confirmation from the family that the bracelet has arrived, I will post.

Andrew Barfield's sister Ollie is turning 100 years old this month, and she will learn of this at her party. The family is on cloud nine about it, according to one family member I spoke with.

bigfun, dgmitchell and Slipdigit like this.
  12. Slipdigit

Joe, Thanks for you good work.

If you do not hear form Yannick, let me know and I will email him.

I will set your account so that you can PM. Normally new members have to wait a certain period and make a certain number of posts before they can send private messages.

If you need to talk to me directly, please do so. I am an Administrator here.

Would the family be interested in telling us about Mr. Barfield here in the forum?

13. thesys1er

thesys1er Member

Hi everybody :)

Since two weeks, i correspond with Mrs Jayne Barfield Kornick.

This woman is the Andrew Barfield's daughter... and send me some pictures of him (civilian) and a great summary of his life...

I didn't feel easy because i believed there were two Andrew J Barfield's family in Florida... But in reality, there are only one and it's the good One !!!!! :D

I would like make a copy of this bracelet like the bracelet found in the hurtgen forest... A copy for my personnal collection. After that, i'll sending the original in USA...

I'm going to ask the authorization to Mrs Jayne B Kornick to show you the 3 Pics received and her email... Be patient...

While you're waiting... Here are some pics of some fidings from a ground dug waste hole close to the ground. This one was only a few feets far from the place i found the bracelet... :D

Thanks to all people who help me in these researshes... ;) ;) Thank a lot...

Attached Files:

dgmitchell and Slipdigit like this.
  14. Slipdigit

Good job all around Yannick, you've done good work!

15. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Wow! This is great!! This is the second time, that I know of!, that people have used this forum to locate someone to return an item like this.
    I'll be watching for those pics!!

16. howard barfield

howard barfield recruit

Good afternoon to you all. I just found this site a few minutes ago and would like to add A few comments here. First of all I would like to thank each and everyone of you folks for this info on my cousin Andrew J Barfield.!! you all were right on the money!! A J as he was known in the family has a brother Winston and he does have a hunting lodge listed in Wadley Alabama but resides out of state. He does have a sister Ollie Gay that lives out of this state and will be having her 100th birthday celebration on the 17th of this month, which I will be attending if I can get off this cloud Nine I am on!! All the other info I read in here about him is also correct and right on the money with his wife and daughter in Florida... and let me take this time to also add this.... I have been sucessful in the locations of the Barfield family all the way back to William The Conqueror thus including all the Royal Houses of Europe. I dont know at the hours I spent rambling these very woods woods in the locations mentioned here as well as The Netherlands, and Germany. This info about this bracelet has any number of people up here on cloud nine with me!!! To all of you people who was involved with this I salute you!!! Howard Barfield

17. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

This is an awesome story!

18. Halldin

Halldin Member

19. LayneNP

LayneNP recruit

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread. I doubt it. But I had to write anyway because wanted to thank all the men on here, especially Yannick, for going to the trouble of finding this bracelet and returning it to my family.

Andrew Barfield is my grandfather. He basically raised me as his own and my mother is Jayne, the woman that Yannick spoke with. He was born in Alabama and married my grandmother in the mid-1940s. He was a truck-driver for most of my mom's childhood until they all moved to Florida in the early 70s. He was planning to go into business with his brother (Winston, mentioned above). He stayed and ran that business even after Winston moved away and retired in the 80s. From that point on he picked me up from school and took care of me everyday during the week, including cooking me dinners. He was so much fun and such a great cook!

My grandfather was a wonderful man. So sweet and kind, a great dad. He was a really quiet man but was so strong when he needed to be. So fun and playful. I probably know these sides of him so well only because I never got to know him adult to adult. I was only 18 when he died and still his "little girl." He and my grandmother were truly the patriach and matriarch of the family. His death hurt us so deeply and we miss him every day.

It's almost the 10 year anniversary of his death. May 3, 2012. I can't believe that much time has gone by. For whatever reason, I Google'd his name and this thread appeared. I knew that my grandmother had recieved a bracelet of his from someone overseas. In fact, when she showed it to me I could hardly believe it was real. That he had actually touched it and worn it. But what suprised me more was that he had told my grandmother about this exact bracelet that he had lost in the forests of Germany before they had even met! Why would he think to tell her about something so insignificant? And what are the chances she would remember it 60+ years later?

Reading this post has touched me. That so many men who dont know each other would trouble themselves to return something to another man and his family who they also don't know. Thank you.

20. Slipdigit

Layne, thank you for your kind comments.

Also, thank for telling us more of your grandfather, he sounds like he was a great man. Do you have a photo of him that you would be willing to post? We would love to see him.

I see that he died within the year that my grandfather also passed. I can understand your loss as my grandfather was my buddy and we were very close.