Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Air show" of sorts at Davis-Monthan AFB Tucson

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by T. A. Gardner, Mar 11, 2004.

1. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Last weekend while at Naval Reserve drill in Tucson AZ I had the pleasure of getting to see 6 P-51s and a P-38 (yes, all were flying aircraft) practice with USAF F-15, F-16 and, A-10 aircraft in formation flying to qualify the pilots for performing in airshows around the country. Sorry, didn't have a camera on me....
    Anyway, it was interesting to watch a P-51 take off, climbing to several thousand feet and then be followed by an F-16 pulling up on him at a couple of hundred knots faster that then does a hammerhead stall followed by several pirouettes in the vertical trying to kill his speed and end up off his wing.
    Just listening to the engines of a P-38 you could easily distinguish between an Allison and the Mustang's Merlin (when the jet roar didn't wash it out).
    Seeing several Mustangs and the P-38 flying overhead in formation was also a thrill. I've seen plenty of F-15's, 16's and what not so it was a real nostalgia tour. Didn't help my workers though they wanted to stand outside the shop and watch rather than get things done....

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

Too bad you did'nt have a video camera as that would be priceless video and audio !!

I was wondering if they still give all day tours of the base once a month like they used to do years ago. They said they take people on a bus and they can take pictures till they drop. That has always been something on my to do list. I have a book on the AFB there and the amount of aircraft there is stunning.

What do you do in the Naval Reserve ?

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Actually, I don't know if they still do give tours since 911. They might. Of course, I never paid much attention as I can get on base and know people working in AMARC.
    In Tucson I run a production metals fabrication shop at the Reserve center. We make "stuff."

4. Timothy

Timothy Member

Thats awsome. Last summer when I was at teh Akron, Ohio and Dayton, Ohio arishows, I saw many Hertage Flights.

At Akron they had an A-10 with a P-40 the first day. On the second day they had an A-10 with a P-38.

At Dayton They had 3 P-51s with a F-15 the first three days. The last day they had 2 P-51s, P-38, and a F-15. That was a remarkable sight. I got great pics with my digetal camera.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Timothy can you post your pics here of the airshow ? would love to see them !

E ♠

6. Timothy

Timothy Member

I'll try. I haven't got time right now but mabye tomorrow.

7. Timothy

Timothy Member

I tried to insert the pictures but it won't let me. Any help is appreciated.

8. Timothy

Timothy Member

I tried to insert the pictures but it won't let me. Any help is appreciated.