Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sqn 620 and Sqn 514. Stalag Luft III POW

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by LancRestorer, Jan 21, 2009.

1. LancRestorer

LancRestorer Member

Hello
    I'm reposting a query initially listed under the Name of J. M. Bourke. This message is to attract anyone who might have served in the same Squadrons and might have somew information. Following isthe initial message:

Hello. I am interested in information that may be related to my father's service in WWII. He was a Canadian from North Bay, ON. and inlisted in early 1942. He became a heavy bomber pilot initially seeing action With RAF Sqn 620 on Stirlings then later was assigned to RAF Sqn 514 on Lancaster II's. He was shot down Jan 21/22 on route to Magdeburg Germany. Two of the crew were lost, he was captured and spent the remainder of the war in Stalag Luft III.
    In memory of my father I do volunteer on a restoration crew of a Lancaster Mk X in Toronto,ON. Canada.
    Inviting Comments.

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Lancaster LL672 Information

Type Lancaster Serial Number LL672 Squadron 514 X1D A2-C2 Operation Magdeburg Date 1 21st January 1944 Date 2 22nd January 1944
    Further Information

"Serial range LL617 - LM296 This aircraft was one of 450 Lancasters ordered from Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Apr42 and built as 100 Mk.11s with Hercules XV1 engines, delivered from Oct43 to Mar44, and 350 Mk.1s with Merlin 24 engines initially installed, delivered from Nov43 to Aug44. LL672 was a Mk.11 and was delivered to No.514 Sqdn 18Dec44. Took part in the following Key Operations: Berlin 29/30Dec43; Berlin 2/3Jan44; Brunswick 14/15Jan44; Magdeburg 21/22Jan44-Lost When lost this aircraft had a total of 50 hours. LL672 was one of four No.514 Lancasters lost on this operation. See: DS824; LL627; LL680 Airborne 2001 21Jan44 from Waterbeach. Outbound, shot down from 21,000 feet over Perleberg by Maj Prinz Heinrich zu Sayn Wittgenstein, the Luftwaffe's top night-fighter ace. The two airmen killed are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery. The information regarding the loss and the fighter ace are provided by Mr Williston, brother to the rear gunner who was killed F/L J.M.J.Bourke RCAF PoW Sgt P.McQueeney KIA Sgt S.G.Cuttler PoW F/O J.E.S.Clare RCAF PoW Sgt R.L.Smith PoW Sgt J.Brewer PoW Sgt A.Williston RCAF KIA F/L J.M.J.Bourke RCAF was interned in Camp L3. PoW No.3344 with F/O J.E.S.Clare RCAF, PoW No.3353. Sgt J.Brewer in Camps L6/357. PoW No.920, with Sgt S.G.Cuttler, PoW No.878. Sgt R.L.Smith in Camps 9C/L3, PoW No.39982. "

Lost Bombers - World War II Lost Bombers

3. LancRestorer

LancRestorer Member

Stevin. Thank you for the information. I have added itto my research file. Bob

4. Jan51

Jan51 New Member

Bob, my name is Jan and my father Sgt Ronald Leslie Smith was on the plane with your father when it went down and he like your father ended up in a POW camp. I know very little about him as with many servicemen he did not talk about the war. Are you still looking for information if so I can let you have what information I have got and I also have a photograph of my father with Sgt P McQueeny

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Jan, first, welcome to the Forum. I hope you will be sure to do an into post in the New Recruits section so the other members can also welcome you.

It looks like Bob has not logged back in since 2010. You may want to post what info you do have for now in the event he does check back. If you have any unanswered questions, we may be able to help so please feel free to ask.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I also would encourage you to post what you have. Others, besides Bob, would be interested in the material.

I echo Tommy in having you properly introduce yourself in the New Members area. The rest of the members can more easily find out about you. Welcome.

7. LancRestorer

LancRestorer Member

Jan. I have just discovered your earlier post regarding the link between our fathers. I have sent a personbal message to you with my contact info. I hope we can discuss further. Also be advised I am in touch with families of two other crew members. Bob