150 replies to this topic

#1 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:46 AM

It looks like 'Bama is off to a good start for next season.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Alabama wins another recruiting national title

Jeff can now start anticipating a trip to the BCS title game.

#2 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,674 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

I want a rematch with Tebow and company and then Utah.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#3 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

You gotta get past LSU first....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#4 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Well boys the season has officially begun. A couple of things. I was disappointed in USC. Yes I know they killed SJSU, but the first quarter was shaky. Hopefully (or not)first game jitters and not a sign of whats to come. By that I mean complacency against teams considered inferior.

How did OSU let Navy stay so close? I mean seriously, four point game against a service academy? Not what I expect from a team ranked sixth.

The Crimson Tide passed their first test this year with a win against Virginia Tech. A tough game to start the year with. They are going to have to watch for the big play.

I would mention BC's game (if you can call it that) but when you put up 21 in the first quarter, the game is over.

Game of the week this week has to go to BYU and Oklahoma. Good game, that came down to a missed fieldgoal. Tough luck for Oklahoma.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#5 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,674 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

The Crimson Tide had me a bit worried in the first quarter, but then settled down a bit. Isolated mistakes and loss of poise late in the first half hurt the defense that played well throughout the remainder of the game.

The offense was shakey at the start but got going well later in the game. A fumble after a long run likely cost them at least 3 points, plus the offense sat on the ball with over 2 minutes to go instead of trying to push it in for another score.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#6 jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

Better luck next year Buffs! However bragging rights to the CSU Rams :)

Looking forward to this season, and all the teams involved

#7 Mr. S

Mr. S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

As a non American, I have to say, a good few years ago I got into what we call over here "American football". At the time I never had so much fun in my life. I played with the nearest team, the Dundee whalers. The training was hard but kept me very fit, but the plays, codes and my particular favourite, sacking the QB was just fun. Several work colleagues used to take the mickey about it, until one lunchtime I asked them to partake in a little QB, centre, wide reciever, nose tackle and safety. Ended up all grass stains over our suits, but we never laughed so much.

Great sport, miss watching it.:D

regards John

#8 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,674 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:25 AM

As a non American, I have to say, a good few years ago I got into what
Great sport, miss watching it.:D

I miss playing it.:P

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you can find it broadcast where you can watch it.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#9 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:28 AM

Well boys the season has officially begun. A couple of things. I was disappointed in USC. Yes I know they killed SJSU, but the first quarter was shaky. Hopefully (or not)first game jitters and not a sign of whats to come. By that I mean complacency against teams considered inferior.

How did OSU let Navy stay so close? I mean seriously, four point game against a service academy? Not what I expect from a team ranked sixth.

College teams don't get a pre-season. I cut them some slack for shaky first games but I give a lot of credit to the teams that do not schedule creampuffs. Of course, I really wanted to see the Midshipmen pull out that game!

The Crimson Tide passed their first test this year with a win against Virginia Tech. A tough game to start the year with. They are going to have to watch for the big play.

I would mention BC's game (if you can call it that) but when you put up 21 in the first quarter, the game is over.

BC had no opposition. My fear is that they did not throw the ball at all against a very weak Div I-AA team. Does not bode well for their Red Shirt Freshman QB. I miss Matt Ryan!

Game of the week this week has to go to BYU and Oklahoma. Good game, that came down to a missed fieldgoal. Tough luck for Oklahoma.

I feel bad for that kicker!

#10 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Miami’s 38-34 win over Florida State on Monday probably made the ACC a bit more competitive internally, great game no matter which team won. Reminded me of the ’87 (?) game where it was decided on a missed two-point conversion on the last play by FSU. Also a great game.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#11 jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Clint I saw the game last night too... both teams looked in prime condition. Nothing like watching these games in HD! I love

#12 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

All right boys. The AP top 25 following week 1 of the NCAA football season.

1 Florida (56) 1-0 1493
2 Texas (2) 1-0 1424
3 USC 1-0 1355
4 Alabama (2) 1-0 1331
5 Oklahoma State 1-0 1201
6 Mississippi 1-0 1095
7 Penn State 1-0 1082
8 Ohio State 1-0 985
9 Brigham Young 1-0 984
10 California 1-0 971
11 LSU 1-0 890
12 Boise State 1-0 882
13 Oklahoma 0-1 782
14 Virginia Tech 0-1 652
15 Georgia Tech 1-0 630
16 TCU 0-0 523
17 Utah 1-0 404
18 Notre Dame 1-0 383
19 North Carolina 1-0 338
20 Miami (FL) 1-0 315
21 Georgia 0-1 294
22 Nebraska 1-0 266
23 Cincinnati 1-0 248
24 Kansas 1-0 196
25 Missouri 1-0 126

Dropped from the rankings
Oregon 16
Florida State 18
Iowa 22
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#13 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,080 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

I'm looking forward to Nov.7 Penn State vs. Ohio State (in Happy Valley), perhaps for Big Ten title, and who knows, a shot at the National Championship.

image001.png

Lou

#14 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hi Lou. You and me both. I'm still trying to decide if I am willing to pay 2-3 times ticket price for a chance to go. I wouldn't hold my breath on a National Championship. Everyone will point to a weak Big 10 and give the benefit of the doubt to a one loss team like USC or Florida before they send a team with a weak non-conference schedule. I think the best we can hope for is a top 5 finish.

#15 Agfa-Lupex

Agfa-Lupex

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

I'm looking forward to Nov.7 Penn State vs. Ohio State (in Happy Valley), perhaps for Big Ten title, and who knows, a shot at the National Championship.

Ohio State will already have atleast 1 lose by that time....

Fight On!
[IMG]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MUZ4pE9GCRIOtM:http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/15/USC_Trojans_interlocking_logo.png/50px-USC_Trojans_interlocking_logo.png[/IMG]

#16 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,674 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:49 AM

The Crimson Tide started slowly but got on a roll, winning 40-14.

Troy kept it close with Florida, relatively speaking, only losing by 50.

Ohio State choked in the end.

Bright spots of the day, Tennessee and Notre Dame lost.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#17 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

Boston College beat Kent State by a lot. I was pleased to see Ohio State choke and I liked seeing Houston come up big!

#18 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Big weekend for college football.

First Ohio State. USC did not win this game, OSU lost it. Some time control issues at the end of the first half followed by a state of content in the fourth quarter.

Notre Dame never should have lost that game. Good on Michigan though following last years dismal season.

Way to go Houston. They started strong and never looked back. A great win for the program.

I'm looking forward to Thursday. A great game linned up between Georgia Tech and Miami.

#19 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

The AP Top 25 following Week 2 of NCAA football play

1 Florida (56) 2-0 1491
2 Texas (1) 2-0 1404
3 USC (1) 2-0 1396
4 Alabama (2) 2-0 1328
5 Mississippi 1-0 1145
5 Penn State 2-0 1145
7 Brigham Young 2-0 1122
8 California 2-0 1058
9 LSU 2-0 951
10 Boise State 2-0 945
11 Ohio State 1-1 840
12 Oklahoma 1-1 835
13 Virginia Tech 1-1 749
14 Georgia Tech 2-0 683
15 TCU 1-0 609
16 Oklahoma State 1-1 445
17 Cincinnati 2-0 407
18 Utah 2-0 405
19 Nebraska 2-0 365
20 Miami (FL) 1-0 364
21 Houston 2-0 341
22 Kansas 2-0 271
23 Georgia 1-1 260
24 North Carolina 2-0 250
25 Michigan 2-0 169

#20 R. Evans

R. Evans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

The Crimson Tide started slowly but got on a roll, winning 40-14.

Troy kept it close with Florida, relatively speaking, only losing by 50.

Ohio State choked in the end.

Bright spots of the day, Tennessee and Notre Dame lost.

You got to hand it to Florida. That out-of-league schedule of theirs is brutal.:rolleyes: Troy, Charleston Southern, Florida International, and finally, one that's decent, Florida State. I'm wondering when was the last time Florida played outside of either it's league or state at a big-time school. No trips to California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma, or even Oregon for them.

My Buckeyes choked that's for sure, but hey, at least they opened up the schedule with 2 bowl teams from the previous year in the first 2 games. Not many schools do that.
Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.- George Washington

#21 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,674 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

I was wanting Ohio State to win. I'm not a big fan of USC (West).

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#22 Agfa-Lupex

Agfa-Lupex

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Big weekend for college football.

First Ohio State. USC did not win this game, OSU lost it. Some time control issues at the end of the first half followed by a state of content in the fourth quarter.

Are you serious?! SC's defense held TP and the OSU offense to 90+ yards of offense after the first quarter! 90+ yards in three quarters combined! You only had 10 first downs compared to 18 for SC. SC had 118 rushing yards compared to OSU's 88 and SC lead in TOP 32:27 to OSU's 27:33. Barkley also threw for more yards than Pryor. The only stat OSU lead in was punting......But hey according to Rick Neuhisel punting is winning.....

Oh yeah.....maybe if OSU had a coach that had 'sack' maybe the final score could have been different.

OSU had everything going for it to win this game...it was at the 'Shoe', Pryor's second year in the system, Freshman QB starting for the first time on the road and supposedly a "rebuilding year" for the Trojans.....and they still lost....face it Bucknut fans...your team and conference is slow...plain and simple.

#23 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

Are you serious?!

Yes, I am.;)

SC's defense held TP and the OSU offense to 90+ yards of offense after the first quarter! 90+ yards in three quarters combined! You only had 10 first downs compared to 18 for SC.

OK. USC had a total of 6 rushing yards at the end of the first quarter. You took the ball to the 3 yard line and was only able to punch it in on fourth down. 12 total yards of first quarter offense, and I'm not counting lost yardage from penalties. Thats never a good way to start the game, whoever you are. So as you can see these "stats" are usually negligible.

SC had 118 rushing yards compared to OSU's 88 and SC lead in TOP 32:27 to OSU's 27:33. Barkley also threw for more yards than Pryor. The only stat OSU lead in was punting......But hey according to Rick Neuhisel punting is winning.....

see above

Oh yeah.....maybe if OSU had a coach that had 'sack' maybe the final score could have been different.

So why are you contradicting my opinion of the game. Like I said, bad clock management at the end of the first half, and a lackadaisical performance in the fourth quarter.

OSU had everything going for it to win this game...it was at the 'Shoe', Pryor's second year in the system, Freshman QB starting for the first time on the road and supposedly a "rebuilding year" for the Trojans.....and they still lost....

So like I said, OSU lost the game, they more gave it to USC than USC earned it.

face it Bucknut fans...your team and conference is slow...plain and simple.

When have I stated I'm a Buckeye fan? I would appreciate a more pragmatic approach to this thread. No one has slammed any other teams here.

I have no problems with your favorite team, in fact I make it a point to follow the teams of people who post here (within this thread) consistently.

PS. Lou don't kill me, I defended OSU:o

#24 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,080 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:04 AM

PS. Lou don't kill me, I defended OSU:o

I won't kill you Mike, but you'll be on a short leash, at least until we thump Temple.;)

I'm just glad I get the Big Ten Network on TV. PSU wins the conference, then who knows.

image001.png

Lou

#25 Agfa-Lupex

Agfa-Lupex

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

Forgive my debate...I will not let it happen again. I took exception to the "SC did not win" comment and listed my reasons as to why I did not agree with your assessment. You also assume that when I said Bucknut fans I was talking to you.

Anyways, let's not ruin this topic on what is the best sport in this or any land! I'll be in Seattle this Saturday cheering on my Trojans!

Fight On! & Beat the Dawgs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users