Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USSR Declares war on allies after berlin?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by Repulse, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Repulse

Repulse Member

i was thinking maybe stalin decided he cant trust the allies what if he launched an assault on the allies in europe would of the soviets conquered all of europe or europe and america?

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Please review the What If... rules and revise your thread. This does not meet the standards set by the What If... rules.

3. Joe

Joe Ace

EDIT: It seems Mussolini has jumped in before me. ;)

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Joe likes this.
  5. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

A good question but this has been done a few time but i'll answer it anyway.

The trouble for the Allies is that the US was pulling out vasts amounts of personel and equipment and tranferring them to the pacific for the proposed invasion of Japan in late 1945 and 1946. The result is that the allies would have a difficult time of it. Also there is the poissibility of having to re-arm those german prisoners to fight for the allies.

Might end up a bloody stalemate.

v.R

6. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Then Moscow, Kiev, Lenningrad, etc are added to the target list of the new weapon after Nagasaki.

marc780 likes this.
  7. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Well USSR With Its T-34s (85mm) ,IS-2s & IS-3s Could Defeat Any Allied Tanks in That Time Even The British New Tank = Centurion MK1&2!! (17 Pounder) and Also US M-26 Pershing!! And With His Outnumbering Soldiers!! ,But I don't know If USSR Air Force was Strong Enough 4 Fighting Both RAF&USAF!! (He Had Great Bombers=IL-2 But no Superior Fighters) Maybe The US Could Handel With Him Like Japan = Nuke Bomb!!

8. macker33

macker33 Member

No chance,things were fine and dandy as long as they were on their own soil and driving towards berlin and anything after that and they would have been extended in hostile country.

Best guess is the allies would have level bombed them to bits.

9. Chesehead121

Chesehead121 Member

they "did". The cold war was a "war" and started something like after WW2.....

10. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Since when was the T-34 ever equipped with an 85mm cannon?

11. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

[​IMG]

T-34/85, developed in 1943

However, I don't think the JS series would have been too serious of a threat. Like the Tiger, they were pretty slow, and might not have fared too well against the much faster TD's.

12. Triple C

Triple C Ace

People, people. Go read the older threads.

13. mglmgbn

mglmgbn Member

If the USSR did decided to attack the Allies, I'm sure that bombing Russia to tiny bits would be the first thing they decided. I heard somewhere that Top U.S army brass sort of considered the Bomb as something of a support weapon like artillery, but that was kind of when the bomb usage was in its infancy and they hadn't quiet grasped its moral implications.

Remembering that bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima was only to save time because the American Public was starting to grow wearing of war and lives because it was estimated that the losses would be in the hundreds of thousands i mean just look at how many purple hearts they made in anticipation for the losses. If they thought that a war with the ussr would be a long and bloody conflict (and im sure it would be) I think they're initial reaction would be to reduce Moscow into a smoldering heap.

14. kkd

kkd Member

I don't think Stalin would have remotely considered messing with the Allies until he had a bomb of his own.
    It would have been idiotic on his part.

15. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Since 1944!!! Go Check!! "WWW.battletanks.com/t-34_85.htm" 1944 - Soviet T34/85 Medium Tank. Armament: 1 - 85mm gun model 1944 caliber 53 1 - turret mounted 7.62 DT MG 1 - hull mounted 7.62 DT MG:D

16. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Right ,Eventhough Stalin Was a Maniac But He Wouldn't do That!!

17. Wolverine

Wolverine Dishonorably Discharged

If the Russians continued to push across the continent, I have no doubt we would of stopped them. They may of been "Victors" but they had catastrophic losses in men and material. They had already purged their own General Corp, they were low on competent commanders. A majority of materials and supplies they were using against the Germans were supplied by the Allies. If we wanted we could of pushed them back across the Russian steppes. Its a shame that they never allowed Patton to continue. It would of stopped the Cold War, Korea, Berlin Wall, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Cuba etc,etc.....

18. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Competent enough to win the war.

This is simply incorrect.

Are you crazy?!

Yea because the Cold War was all Russia's doing... How old are you?

19. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Yes the Soviets had many many losses, but by the end of the war they had the largest army on Earth and the late war read army wasnt having near as many losses as they used. Dont forget the millions of liberated Soviet prisoners that could have easily been redrafted into service.

Each unit having more then enough having experianced officers and NCOs.

Not to mension that fighting the most Brutal font in history might allow your generals some know-how of war dont you think?....:rolleyes:

Near the end of the war, Russia's eastern industrial cities were chuning out tanks and ammunition at insane rates. They also had tens of thousands of tanks of their own throughout the whole conflict. The Shermans and Stuarts were just (im not descrediting their impact) more meat in the attritional warfare that Russia excelled at.

Ah yes, it slipped my mind that Patton was some sort of wonder general that could have defeated 6 million combat veterans and the most hostile terrain in the world with finger-flicking ease. Do you think that the Allies wouldnt have trouble in Belorussian swamps, Russian winter and the wet season?

Aside from all this I can see no winner; rather some sort of negotiated peace. But im damm glad that it didnt happen.

Sloniksp likes this.
  20. lwd

lwd Ace

As has been stated earlier we've covered most if not all of this several times over on earlier threads but ...

Not at all sure that's true. By the end of the war most Soviet divisions were down to ~60% manning and their reserves were pretty much gone.
    Experienced yes but not necessarily as officers and NCOs and of course there was the shortage of men.
    They were very experienced at fighting Germans they would have found western forces a considerably different foe. Western artillery and no longer having air superiority would be a real shock. The vulnerability of their supply depots and log network to allied strategic bombing would also be a problem.
    But could they have kept up the production. Ammunition especially would have started being a problem. Then there's food situation. And they have to switch over a whole bunch of production to make up for things they weren't making.
    Of course they would have but so would the Soviets. The western allies were also much better at developing log networks than either the Soviets or the Germans. And then there's the moral impact when it becomes clear that this invasion is anti Soviet and not anti Slav.
    Pretty much all of Europe looses but the Soviets even more so. Britain, US, and the Commonwealth end up on top.

Rommel2009 likes this.