Photo
- - - - -

Mr. Robert Lynwood "Bob" Lillard: US Army Sgt 1st Class: Philippines and Asiatic Pacific Theater: Bronze Star

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WalkerBulldog

WalkerBulldog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

Mr. Robert Lillard

As originally published on Monday, February 9, 2009.

Mr. Robert Lynwood "Bob" Lillard, 87, of Thurmont, died Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009, at the College View Center, Frederick. He was the husband of Lela Whillhide Lillard. They married June 4, 1949. Born Feb. 28, 1921, in Hagerstown, he was the son of the late William H. and Olive Virginia Campbell Lillard.

As a young man, he was a member of the First Baptist Church of Hagerstown. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II as a sergeant first class in the infantry. He served in the Philippines and the Asiatic Pacific Theater, where he was awarded the Bronze Star.

Mr. Lillard was the general foreman of the machine shop at Fairchild Air Craft Industries in Hagerstown. Following marriage, he moved to Thurmont and joined Trinity United Church of Christ, where he sang in the church choir, taught Sunday school for many years and served as president of the Consistory.

Mr. Lillard was the president of the Thurmont Elementary School PTA. He also was a member of the Thurmont Senior Citizens; Guardian Hose Co. #10; and was a former secretary of the Thurmont Ambulance Company. Part-time, for 50 years, he enjoyed growing apples and cherries.

Surviving in addition to his wife, are two sons, Ross Edward Lillard and his wife, Lynda, of Thurmont, and Richard Byron Lillard and his wife, Betsey, of Clear Spring; four grandchildren, Ben Lillard, Bethany Lillard, Kristina Ullrich and Alex Ullrich; three sisters, Mrs. Marie C. Brinton, Mrs. A. Jeanette Shupp and Mrs. Betty Martin and her husband J.W., all of Hagerstown; several nieces and nephews also survive.

Family will receive friends from 10 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 11, at Robert E. Dailey and Son Funeral Home, P.A., 615 E. Main St., Thurmont.
A memorial service will begin at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. His pastor, Rev. Les Sims will officiate.

Inurnment will follow in Blue Ridge Cemetery, Thurmont.

The family requests memorials be made in memory of Mr. Lillard to Trinity UCC, 101 E. Main St., Thurmont, MD 21788.
Online condolences may be made to the family at
DaileyFuneralHomes.com.

---------------------------------------------

R.I.P. Sir

#2 claire_mo

claire_mo

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:33 AM

I'm extending my salute to Lillard and my warmest thank you for serving in the Philippines.
Rest in peace.

Claire from Olongapo City, Philippines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users