#1 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

This is very late, but I only just found out via my father that Major Geoffrey Powell - a real hero of Arnhem if ever there was one - passed away on January 5th, aged 90.

He wrote one of the finest Arnhem accounts - 'Men At Arnhem' - which deals with his leadership of 156 Bn at Oosterbeek including, of course, the legendary bayonet charge on 'Hackett's hollow'.

If you haven't read this book, you are missing one of WWII's most memorable first-hand battle accounts.

A great soldier who led a full life - he truly deserves to 'R.I.P'.

:poppy:
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#2 Philip,ABRG

Philip,ABRG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

He also wrote the good book The Devils birthday

#3 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

That's absolutely right Philip & I forgot to mention it.... redface.gif

#4 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

The Devils birthday was a great book, he wrote that under a psuedenym I think.

Martin, do you have sattelite? Although serving in Europe I never visited Arnhem, Nijmegan for the marches but not Arnhem.

There is a documentary series on at the mo, keeps repeating at various times...Al Murray of hells kitchen and pub manager fame, gets to drive a jeep around all the battle areas from Normandy to Berlin, including one program on bombing by RAF, taking various vets around and seeing the battle areas. Arnhem was a great one, showing all the routes in towards the bridge, Lion etc, not very deep but just showing the areas as they are today was a real insight to me who has only read of them before. He seems to get the guys to interview that you would not normally see being interviewed as well. Names we know from books but to most of us unseen before.

Its getting that time now, 1945 was 60 years ago, so the maths is working against the vets, given that if they were around 18 in 45 that makes some of the youngest to be 78, never mind the Dunkirk vets etc...Hope we give em a good response this year.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#5 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Don't have satellite I'm afraid, urqh - only 'steam-powered' TV :(

Actually, 'The Devil's Birthday' was published under Major Powell's real name ; it was 'Men At Arnhem' which originally came out under the nom-de-plume of 'Tom Angus' with many of his comrades' names altered.

In the updated edition, he was revealed as the author and in a useful introduction listed the actual names of the others.....

#6 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Sorry to hear about his passing. I had no idea. Thanks for letting us know.

This thread also answers part of my question!?

S.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 PeterJ

PeterJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Martin,

That's very sad news. I dread every visit to the ABRG boards these days, since the frequency of notices on the passing of the Arnhem Vets inevitably gathers pace.

"Men at Arnhem" was one of the truly authentic "you feel like you're there" accounts and a testiment to the valour and hardships suffered by real men of whom we shall never see the like again.

A great man. May he rest in peace.

All the best

Peter

#8 Philip,ABRG

Philip,ABRG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

Captain Jasper Booty 4th Para Bde HQ
passed away last week

#9 MissionheroMark

MissionheroMark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi guys, just discovered this threat (being a newbie) !
I was extremely lucky and privileged to become a friend of Geoffrey's and his wife Felicity (now sadly also gone) in early 2001.
We regularly wrote to each other discussing Arnhem, the men, and the campaign etc His books, letters etc sit pride of place on my bookshelf along with a portrait photograph (taken in July 1944!) given to me by Felicity on his passing! - what a hero!

Mark

#10 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

It must have been a rare privilege to know them, Mark - I wish that I could have done. We're fortunate to have his excellent books which will always be a primary source for 'Arnhem'.

#11 MissionheroMark

MissionheroMark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Indeed Martin,
It's excellent forums like this that must keep their memory alive - and guys like us to ensure our kids know what sacrifices they made.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users