Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Carl's newest militaria pictures

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Skipper, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello friends,

Upon Carl's request, here are his newest pictures he has just purchased :).

Carl will give you comments and details later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 272VGD.

272VGD. Member

Very nice ones!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

nice pick-ups Carl, congrats ! pic # 1 and # 4 are of the same ceremony

6. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

very nice pictures Carl....I especially like the first picture of the Iron Cross Presentation

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you very much foryour help getting these here. I will give proper commentaries on them tomorrow. One pic in particular I dowant to brag about-is the one that has two German Sergeants w/ MP-40s hiding behind rubble. This is a well-documented and printed photograph in several books about The Eastern Front as well as Stalingrad. This photo IS a Stalingrad combat photo.

If anyone has the book Stalingrad: Cauldron of Fire--my picture is on its cover. This photograph is THE original-and is in snapshot photo size-or appx 3 x 2 inches in size. Be back tomorrow w/ more and better info.

RAM and von Poop like this.
  8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad it worked out Carl, let us know when you receive the originals.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Many thanks E, AndyP/

E, I had not noticed pic 1 and 4-were from the same ceremony! Great spot on that one ;-)) You Sir, certainly have great perception powers ;-D

Andy, these are only the tip of the iceberg as far as my photo collection goes. The majority of them will not be posted here for probably amonth-just depends how long it takes before I can get them all scanned to photo Cds and then sent to Skipper.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Will do Skipper, and thank you very much for getting these here. I OWE you much.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl in you're second montage of pics you have two different views of three Heer ? Ritterkreuz winners with staff Offizier present and presenting and then clowning with the guys for the typical propaganda pics for back home

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Thanks very much for letting us see these Carl.
    I particularly like the Sturmpanzer shot, and that one of the Mark IV with those blokes clambering over it is a beauty.

Cheers,
    Adam.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, Das ist korrect ;-)) The tragedy about it is that these are sold seperately and I just happen to by accident-recognize that General and the newly minted RKT who has a tank destruction strip on his right sleeve. So-I went ahead and bough that one too. I just wonder if these are these were the first ones offered-or just how many have already been sold-or are yet to be listed? I don't have the funds on hand to try to get many more of these if these aren't the only ones left of this group?

I would love to find out who that General is-as well as the 3 "Minted" RKTs and I am wondering if that tall officer wearing the DKiG-was also later-an RKT?

I wonder if Paul has a way find out who those 3 RKTs are by seeing is there is a list of some sort that tells who they are based on being all decorated on the same day by the same General who most likely their Divisional Commander.?

14. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hey Carl, again I mut say WoW...those are great photos you got there! and I agree with Voon Poop in liking the 'movement' of the men on the Mark IV - its cool to see the soldiers 'at work' - great buy!

A question though....(I don't know much about these types of photos)...but generally how do you know that they are the original images when buying them?

Is it the type of border around the edge of the photograph? or just a keen eye for detail, ageing etc? ......or is best to buy in person, so you can see them in real life?

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Adam, thank you much for the nice compliments ;-)) Theres much more from where these came from soon to come. I like the Sturmtiger as well. I think I might be able to place this one w/ approx date and location-but have to wait for the pic to arrive.

This pic is a rare one and I I just barely missed out on a Leopard, two Ferdinands, two Tigers, and I Wespe.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Andy-thank you for the nice compliment ;-)) Also,your correct on some of your assumptions on telling if original or not-plus knowin
    g and having a knowledgable dealer you trust-agingon pics is easy to tell. You can see the age-yellowness-whether a pic was handeled a lot ot not by creases and such-to even smelling it. After collecting as many as I have over the years-it gets pretty easy to tell.

I was shafted once and learned from that experiance. Since then I gave all those pics away. I also use a Jewelers Loop to look at it more closely.

Hope this helps ;-))

17. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Ya thanks Carl,

Im guessing 99.99% of the ones you see on E-bay etc are copies so.
    (I won't be buying any anyhow....even the fake ones are expencive at times ;))

I know what you mean about getting 'shafted'.....it's proubally a good thing when startn out collecting, for it to happen to you once as you learn to not let it happen again!!

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl do you know if there are any distinguishing notes on the back of each picture ? wondering whom and unit of the LW RK presentation

19. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The 8th picture, the one with the MP40, I've seen published in a few books. I'll look through my stuff and see if I can find it and scan a copy of it.. Very cool pics though

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ebay has many original pictures available, unfortunately this is because dealers destroy albums to dispatch the pics one by one. Besides the pics may be original it does not mean much, many will have scanned them , especially previous owners, dealaers etc..) but owing a pic does not mean you own the negative , so many can claim they own it too. However if you get a small sized picture with AGFA or Lupex behind it , trimmed edges etc.. you can be certain your picture is not a repro.