• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 liberation sea

liberation sea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hello mates, Im currently illustrating a ww2 comic book which will be a seven part series when im done.I have finished 2 volumes so far dealing with north africa and sicily. I really want to get all our facts straight and all the little details historically accurate, i do my fair bit of research but i always feel that im missing something...hopefully you guys can help me out.ok so here it goes so far...

volume 3 takes place august,september 1943 in salerno and naples.

question 1: did the us 7th army have any down time to check out the cities or go to a cafe.

question 2: how did the itallian people treat them?

question 3:anyone have anygood pics of civillian life at the time?

question 4: was life somewhat normal at this time for the civillians or were they completely war torn?

ill prob have more questions as i go...hope im not asking to much but id greatly appreciate your time... heres a few page samples from vol 1 and 2

oh yeah its entitled liberation sea

thanks Dave Norton

Attached Files

#2 AndyPants

AndyPants

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:13 AM

Wow, Dave your drawing/ illustrating skills are top class :)

ya some of the guys will be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction for some good information.

Best of luck with your work - i'll keep an eye out for it when its done for sure ;)
All the Best,

Andy

"people who are not themselves are nobody" - General George S. Patton

#3 BWilson

BWilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

Hello mates, Im currently illustrating a ww2 comic book which will be a seven part series when im done.I have finished 2 volumes so far dealing with north africa and sicily. I really want to get all our facts straight and all the little details historically accurate, i do my fair bit of research but i always feel that im missing something...hopefully you guys can help me out.ok so here it goes so far...

volume 3 takes place august,september 1943 in salerno and naples.

question 1: did the us 7th army have any down time to check out the cities or go to a cafe.

question 2: how did the itallian people treat them?

question 3:anyone have anygood pics of civillian life at the time?

question 4: was life somewhat normal at this time for the civillians or were they completely war torn?

ill prob have more questions as i go...hope im not asking to much but id greatly appreciate your time... heres a few page samples from vol 1 and 2

oh yeah its entitled liberation sea

thanks Dave Norton

Dave,

The U.S. forces that landed at Salerno were the Fifth Army, not the Seventh (Seventh was on Sicily but not on the Italian mainland). Note this force included British X Corps with the 46th and 56th Infantry Divisions. The battle itself lasted about a week. U.S. forces were the VI Corps with the 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions, later reinforced by the 82nd Airborne Division.

There wasn't (much if any) down time at Salerno. The invasion almost failed because of German counter-attacks; at one point, the 82nd Airborne Division had to airdrop into the Salerno area to reinforce the beachhead and break up German counter-attacks. Individual soldiers probably liberated an occasional wine cellar, though ...

On Naples, Wiki mentions: "During World War II, Naples was the first Italian city to rise up against the Nazi military occupation; between September 28 and October 1, 1943 the people of the city rose up and pushed the Germans out, in what became known as the "four days of Naples". By the time the Anglo-American forces arrived downtown, they found Naples already free, and continued on instead towards Rome."

The question of civilian conditions -- variable. It depended if the Allies had to fight for a locality or not, if it had been bombed or not, etc. I think it a fair guess that most places near Salerno got hit pretty hard because of the heavy fighting in the area.

Pics -- try a Google image search on "Naples 1943". One example is http://pro.corbis.co...9-10F0C33A6D8E} -- the people look pretty happy, even looks like a couple of Italian Army soldiers there who have unofficially joined the Allied side. Less happy is http://www.45thdivis...a/wreckage4.jpg , showing wreckage of the dockyards in Naples.

If you're depicting the actions of a particular unit, this map might help: http://en.wikipedia...._09_11_2400.jpg

Nice artwork! :thumbup:

Cheers

BW

#4 liberation sea

liberation sea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:40 AM

Andypants: Thank you for your kind words, im sure these guys will come through.

BWilson:wow man thanks a million...great info...i didnt know that about the 7th army..ill have to make some revisions....love your idea about the wine cellars.if it makes it in the book ill give you credit for sure.

about naples:they must have stopped briefly...no? few hours? or did they go straight through..... i guess what im looking for is a quiet moment where the guys can reflect on some memories of tunisia.Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

#5 liberation sea

liberation sea

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:40 AM

BWilson:wow man thanks a million...great info...i didnt know that about the 7th army..ill have to make some revisions....love your idea about the wine cellars.if it makes it in the book ill give you credit for sure.

about naples:they must have stopped briefly...no? few hours? or did they go straight through..... i guess what im looking for is a quiet moment where the guys can reflect on some memories of tunisia.Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

#6 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Dave, a good general reference book for your area of interest and time frame is

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy) by Rick Atkinson

Keep us posted on when your graphic novel will be published!

Here's a link to the Salerno invasion.. http://www.liberatio...eractivemap.htm

Edited by texson66, 12 March 2009 - 11:59 AM.
another link

#7 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

I imagine they would have paused through Naples...the whole Pompeii thing. I've been there, and its hard not to look at what remains of the Volcano there. Remember Mt. St. Helens when it erupted? Took off the top 1/3rd of the Mountain? Pompeii is like that too, pretty amazing.

HOI 3: Black ICE USA AAR

http://www.ww2f.com/...cracy-a-usaaar/

#8 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,204 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

I also was going to suggest Atkinson's Day of Battle. It's an excellent look at the Italian campaign.

My father served in the 5th Army from Salerno to the Po River. There are a few pamphlets that were published at the time which I own. While they are more oriented toward the operational activities, you might find them useful. They are referenced in a post I made earlier, including links to find them online. Here they are again:
Lone Sentry: 5th Army Antiaircraft, Salerno to Florence, 9 September 1943 - 8 September 1944, WWII Unit History
Stars and Stripes • "Puptent Poets" (poetry by soldiers in the Mediterranean)
SALERNO: American Operations From the Beaches to the Volturno 9 September - 6 October 1943 (my cover is different. It's the original 1944 version)

I also posted a copy of the Batlle History of the 473rd Infantry at the following location:

http://www.ww2f.com/...-documents.html

Good luck with the rest of your project.

image001.png

Lou

#9 BWilson

BWilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Dave,

You're quite welcome. I checked the US Army official history in the library today. Naples was apparently heavily damaged by bombing. It sounds like the combat troops moved through pretty fast, but there was a holdup at a river south of Naples while the Allied troops waited for bridges to be constructed. Perhaps you can develop a plot situation from that.

Oh, with the change of army numbers (5 vs 7), the army commander also changed, Mark Clark was the Fifth Army commanding general during the Salerno invasion.

Cheers

BW

#10 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Here are some possible sources in case you haven't seen them already:
SALERNO: American Operations From the Beaches to the Volturno 9 September - 6 October 1943
FROM THE VOLTURNO TO THE WINTER LINE
WWII Campaign Brochures - European-African-Middle Eastern Theater
Mediterranean Theater of Operations - U.S. Army in World War II

#11 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

My tips :

Read the book Salerno: A Military Fiasco

Check out www.kwanah.com the web site for the 36th ID and post this same request. They are the most helpful people around.

Naples was a WILD place. Naples also had a US Military backed house of prostition there. After the capture of Rome it became a holding or staging area for replacment troops either fighting on through northern Italy and some divisions getting set for the invasion of S France. There are so many good books on this subject..... Good Luck !!

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users